Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] FAO man of West Stand Upper; re Racism.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Outbreaks?, or also countries where someone has displayed signs of the disease (including relapses?) after catching it and returning to their country of origin, and therefore meaning that the disease could be present, but dormant within the host, and has the possibility of it being passed on? (the nurse in the UK had to go back in for further treatment after symptoms returned)

It's mostly associated with Africa, but that doesn't mean people visiting Africa from other parts of the World (regardless of race) are unable to catch it if they encounter it. The post i quoted seemed to imply it was exclusive

Ridiculous. I can't believe you are even attempting to defend it. Do you HONESTLY think that these are factors going through someones head when they jump up to abuse a black player with insults about ebola and AIDS ?

Come on.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
You can dance around it all you like, but you know as well as I do that if there is some oaf hollering abuse from the stands at a black player about ebola and AIDS, given the well known origins of those particular diseases, there is a higher-than-likely chance that it is being spewed as a racist insult. So don't insult my intelligence or your own by defending it through mealy-mouthed semantics over who can contract it.

If some scumbag decides to wish a deadly disease on a black player, then there are any number of ones they could select that do not originate in Africa.

First i knew about aids was from the tv ads in the 80's (?) about it in the UK. I do not associate it with Africa (just looked it up on Wiki and that's the first time i have seen any connection to it originating from Africa) so did not make any connection with it being based on someone simply being black or simply being African

Sorry if it seems i was excusing this behaviour, i am not, and never was. It has no place in society (abuse in general, regardless of whether it has anything to do with race, or not... but especially if it is to do with race)

I simply did not associate Aids with Africa, more a worldwide thing - It can and does affect anyone, which is why i was questioning the comment which implied that these were exclusive to Africa or closely associated with it or people with ancestry linking them to Africa and therefore the conclusion of the OP that it was clearly down to skin colour, etc....(which appeared to be wrong to me and why i questioned it)

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
First i knew about aids was from the tv ads in the 80's (?) about it in the UK. I do not associate it with Africa (just looked it up on Wiki and that's the first time i have seen any connection to it originating from Africa) so did not make any connection with it being based on someone simply being black or simply being African

Sorry if it seems i was excusing this behaviour, i am not, and never was. It has no place in society (abuse in general, regardless of whether it has anything to do with race, or not... but especially if it is to do with race)

I simply did not associate Aids with Africa, more a worldwide thing - It can and does affect anyone, which is why i was questioning the comment which implied that these were exclusive to Africa or closely associated with it or people with ancestry linking them to Africa and therefore the conclusion of the OP that it was clearly down to skin colour, etc....(which appeared to be wrong to me and why i questioned it)
Keep digging....

If the above is true it clearly has racial overtones.

Sent from my BTV-DL09 using Tapatalk

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Keep digging....

If the above is true it clearly has racial overtones.

Sent from my BTV-DL09 using Tapatalk

I didn't get the racial overtones when it came to aids and Africa. 1st I remember about the emergence of aids as a kid was people in this country dying from it, shots of white patients in hospital with the illness. Later i know there has been some news about aids in Africa and how religion was preventing people from using protection, leading to it's spread with the Pope at the time refusing to tell followers to use condoms, but there was also news about it being in other countries too. So i never connected it to Africa in the same way as others clearly do

I do now see why some do connect the 2, and I agree they almost certainly did have racist motives in this instance. (i never contested this)

I just didn't connect the 2, (Africa and Aids) and therefore the way it read to me was that it implied that it was a Black persons disease and that by someone mentioning these diseases, peoples minds would automatically spring to the conclusion that the person who had the disease would be black and African - hence my posts about others being able to get it (and ebola) and that just seemed bizarre and incorrect to me

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
This isn't racism (for me).

A Brighton fan shouts abuse at an opposition player.

If he was welsh & got bah or sheep shagger or French about garlic or onions or ginger etc etc. That isn't racist - but because zaha is black you feel it must be because he is black

(For me) you need to have a long hard look at yourself :nono:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Outbreaks?, or also countries where someone has displayed signs of the disease (including relapses?) after catching it and returning to their country of origin, and therefore meaning that the disease could be present, but dormant within the host, and has the possibility of it being passed on? (the nurse in the UK had to go back in for further treatment after symptoms returned)

It's mostly associated with Africa, but that doesn't mean people visiting Africa from other parts of the World (regardless of race) are unable to catch it if they encounter it. The post i quoted seemed to imply it was exclusive
Obfuscation at its finest [emoji38]ol:

Don't worry, the rest of us have already noted Guy Fawkes = racist sympathiser [emoji106]

LVGull

May 13, 2016
The insinuation is clearly a racist one. Much like when Mark Sampson told Eni Eluko to make sure her Nigerian relatives "did not bring ebola to a game at Wembley".

If you can't see how that has racist undertones then you need to give your head a wobble.

Was it proven he said that?

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
I didn't get the racial overtones when it came to aids and Africa. 1st I remember about the emergence of aids as a kid was people in this country dying from it, shots of white patients in hospital with the illness. Later i know there has been some news about aids in Africa and how religion was preventing people from using protection, leading to it's spread with the Pope at the time refusing to tell followers to use condoms, but there was also news about it being in other countries too. So i never connected it to Africa in the same way as others clearly do

I do now see why some do connect the 2, and I agree they almost certainly did have racist motives in this instance. (i never contested this)

I just didn't connect the 2, (Africa and Aids) and therefore the way it read to me was that it implied that it was a Black persons disease and that by someone mentioning these diseases, peoples minds would automatically spring to the conclusion that the person who had the disease would be black and African - hence my posts about others being able to get it (and ebola) and that just seemed bizarre and incorrect to me

Right that's your defence is it? Lying at length about how you never knew there was a connection between Africa and AIDS? :facepalm: The disease was mentioned along side Ebola in the chant according to the OP, I notice you're not trying to pretend there's no connection between that particular disease and Africa as well. Mmm? ???

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
This isn't racism (for me).

A Brighton fan shouts abuse at an opposition player.

If he was welsh & got bah or sheep shagger or French about garlic or onions or ginger etc etc. That isn't racist - but because zaha is black you feel it must be because he is black

How is it not racism? Go look up what racism is in the dictionary, maybe type it out for yourself, and then come back to us an try to explain your reasoning. FYI, the two examples you’ve given are examples of racism as well.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Was the colour of his skin mentioned in the chanting? If not, then it's just a comment directed at a player and people being a bit too precious and jumping on the "I feel like I should be offended so I'll tell everyone on NSC I'm offended even though I have absolutely no reason to be offended" bandwagon.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
The quote i responded too:

I replied

My point was that the post i replied to seems to imply that it is an exclusive thing which struck just one race and therefore will only ever be directed at someone of one race - i disagree (maybe i should have highlighted that section to make it more obvious) Not everyone will think person with AIDS = African person. and people shouldn't automatically assume Ebola = exclusively affecting Africans only

I've heard people wishing someone else got aids and died before, and it wasn't anything to do with the colour of their skin or their ancestry. Ebola is the recent deadly disease to make headlines, so is it beyond the realms of possibility that someone may wish this nasty disease on someone else (again regardless of either parties skin colour) and it not being down to their being of a particular race?

Come on, do you really believe what you are saying? While it all has validity as in we don't know the hecklers motive, on the realms of probability it was because Zaha is black - end of!

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
The chant has no place in the game and I'm shocked there were all these people around him and not one person challenged him?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Chanting about Wilfried Zaha having Ebolba and/or AIDS is both incredibly racist and and/or futile. He can’t hear you from the top of the stands; those who can hear you, however, include nearby Albion supporters of African descent.

Public service announcement concluded. Have a word with yourself.
Disgusting, we should expect better from our fans. Unacceptable.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Was the colour of his skin mentioned in the chanting? If not, then it's just a comment directed at a player and people being a bit too precious and jumping on the "I feel like I should be offended so I'll tell everyone on NSC I'm offended even though I have absolutely no reason to be offended" bandwagon.

So you don't find wishing Ebola and AIDS on someone offensive ffs :ffsparr:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
The quote i responded too:

I replied

My point was that the post i replied to seems to imply that it is an exclusive thing which struck just one race and therefore will only ever be directed at someone of one race - i disagree (maybe i should have highlighted that section to make it more obvious) Not everyone will think person with AIDS = African person. and people shouldn't automatically assume Ebola = exclusively affecting Africans only

I've heard people wishing someone else got aids and died before, and it wasn't anything to do with the colour of their skin or their ancestry. Ebola is the recent deadly disease to make headlines, so is it beyond the realms of possibility that someone may wish this nasty disease on someone else (again regardless of either parties skin colour) and it not being down to their being of a particular race?

Come on, do you really believe what you are saying? While it all has validity as in we don't know the hecklers motive, on the realms of probability it was because Zaha is black - end of!

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Just for clarification - is it your opinion that it isn’t racist to imply someone has aids or ebola because of their African heritage?

He plays for the ivory coast - so goes there & back - which is ebola territory

Shouting you've got aids at someone a)isn't very nice b) childish / school playground stuff

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here