Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] FAO man of West Stand Upper; re Racism.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Thought aids mean't your gay?

That was the late 80's. These days most prevalent people getting it are straight white people - a mixture of 18-30s & +50s looking for fun & love (again). I'm not sure if i am allowed to say any of that though - maybe I'll get tried & convictes by the thought police - despite having committed no crime known to law..

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Stevie Coppell has VD because he did some terrible things with a horrible, infectious organism.

Your assumption is that a person from Africa automatically has Ebola or AIDs.

Do you see the slight difference?

I hold my hands up, i mis-read the post i originally quoted (above) as saying that there is the assumption that someone from Africa automatically has Ebola or AIDS

My posts were not condoning racism, it was not defending the vile comments by the person that that the OP was referring which were aimed towards Zaha or trying to debate whether they were meant as a racist comment

I thought that the above quote had stated that people automatically hear that someone is from Africa and therefore automatically assume that they will have these diseases, purely based on skin colour and / or country of origin. - This interpretation is what i was trying to challenge, in that it's not something that only affects Africans, or people of one colour or another and people don't and shouldn't naturally assume that because they are of a certain ancestry or race, that that they automatically link the 2 things together (race and disease) as i took the quoted comment as appearing to make that direct link, which i thought was wrong and seemingly had a racist element to it. - It does not, and i apologise to the person i quoted too for even thinking that this is what they may have been thinking - This is why i was going on about it affecting other people from other countries and of other skin colours (trying to show it wasn't and should be associated with one race or skin colour).

I have always been against abuse aimed towards players (all my posts on the subject have always been anti-abuse, whatever it's nature) and again i apologise if my posts came over as seemingly making excuses for this person's action - That was certainly not the case.

It was only one person making this chant, and they hopefully will be quickly found and punished

I can see now i have re-read it, my error in the original quote and why i was getting the replies that i was, (like asking which countries have there been outbreaks, etc.... ) I had my wires crossed and was wondering why people thought it was ok to say that they were happy for people to link the 2 elements together as a natural assumption people will make (i was going to post about if someone told you that someone else that you knew nothing about had been diagnosed with aids, how would you picture them, and i wouldn't expect anyone to say a skin certain colour or think they were from a certain country of origin, in an effort to try to better explain what i was on about - trying to show that they shouldn't be automatically linked by anyone which is what i thought the comment was saying does happen)

It's clear that my point was virtually impossible to follow as they others hadn't interpreted the original part in the same way i had, which is why my comments and responses look strange. It was never my intention to defend the persons actions but i thought i was challenging an odd sentiment that i quoted & I apologise if i have caused any offense though my confused replies as a result.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Embola could be anything, see Embola-chan. If it had been hope you die of sickle cell then that would be racist.

886.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Played in the 2017 africa cup of nations in the Gabon - stat bro. But dont let facts & a bit of artistic license get in the way

It wasn't meant as the most serious of posts.

But If you want to play the report clearly shows there hasn't been a case of Ebola in Gabon since 2001, so WZ is unlikely to catch it there either.

Unless of course you are assuming all Africans can catch Ebola, but I believe that's where we came in.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
It wasn't meant as the most serious of posts.

But If you want to play the report clearly shows there hasn't been a case of Ebola in Gabon since 2001, so WZ is unlikely to catch it there either.

Unless of course you are assuming all Africans can catch Ebola, but I believe that's where we came in.

I am sure the alleged abuser will have checked his facts thoroughly (i dont know why i am debating this! )

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I am sure the alleged abuser will have checked his facts thoroughly (i dont know why i am debating this! )

Neither do I.

Now the abuser was half right with AiDS, although as we all know he should have said Human Immunodeficiency Virus .
Perhaps if he linked that with Meningococcal disease, he'd be getting more slack, on this thread.

In fairness he might even get a prize if he got it all to rhyme.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Played in the 2017 africa cup of nations in the Gabon - stat bro. But dont let facts & a bit of artistic license get in the way

If you want to talk facts, you didn’t even mention the Africa’s Cup but you did state that the Ivory Coast is Ebola territory and when you’re called out for it, you ignore that fact and come up with an alternative argument.

This is what you said in all its glory.

Nope. Ivory coast is ebola territory& so it's an itelligent insult of his nationality- so perhaps you are the confused one.

Your defence of casual racism is another of those facts you seem so keen on.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
I’m surprised by some of the posts on here defending the moron .

LVGull

May 13, 2016
What do you want, "video evidence or it didn't happen" ?

Look Columbo, it's not been "proven" that some bloke in the WSU wished AIDS and ebola on Zaha has it. That's not the point. This thread turned into a debate on whether or not remarks such as that towards a black player can be considered as racist. You're derailing it with some nonsense example plucked from the Daily Sport, in some ham-fisted and irrelevant attempt to make a point about 'not believing everything you read'.

I suggest if you're going to follow me round this thread like a lost puppy, you either get with the program and discuss the serious issue at hand, or slope off to a less challenging thread.

Yes would be nice Miss Marple

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The point I'm trying to make is what is the point of complaining on a forum after the game but staying silent at the time.

Given that he is absolutely right to not challenge the knob at the time ( we are not all tough guys) and even reporting something at the time can be irksome - the stewards round my way don't look remotely competant in terms of such like, and would probably just embarrass the complainant - then the second best thing is to raise the issue on NSC surely? The only reason I personally might not, in his boots, is because I'd no doubt get all the 'not man enough to deal with it face to face' bollocks. If you want to be a soldier, join the army. Not everyone wants to be a soldier.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Given that he is absolutely right to not challenge the knob at the time ( we are not all tough guys) and even reporting something at the time can be irksome - the stewards round my way don't look remotely competant in terms of such like, and would probably just embarrass the complainant - then the second best thing is to raise the issue on NSC surely? The only reason I personally might not, in his boots, is because I'd no doubt get all the 'not man enough to deal with it face to face' bollocks. If you want to be a soldier, join the army. Not everyone wants to be a soldier.

Raising the issue on NSC...which achieves pretty much zero....

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
If you want to talk facts, you didn’t even mention the Africa’s Cup but you did state that the Ivory Coast is Ebola territory and when you’re called out for it, you ignore that fact and come up with an alternative argument.

This is what you said in all its glory.

Your defence of casual racism is another of those facts you seem so keen on.

I expect the bloke was a complete tool & is a racist really - however i don't believe what he shouted is (directly) & wouldn't be considered to be in a court of law - unless you lot were on the jury

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Yes it was racist.

Standing in a queue waiting for a ridiculous 25 minutes at Brighton station to get to Falmer a group of men in their 50/60s were hurling abuse at a Palace fan.There was alot of it going on last night of course and these weren't the only ones at Brighton station but because of their age it was totally ****ing embarrassing and reminded me football is infected with cavemanlike morons like these and the guy who hurled the abuse at Zaha.

Usually when I take my young son to football who wasn't with me last night we go by train and don't hear crap like this however I think from now on we will get the Seagulls coach which we've got sometimes.

If you find the coach more to your liking then that is the correct decision for you. Well done.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Ive only heard such a thing at one other game, where a group of about five of our finest were attempting repeatedly to get the song "Bolasie's got Ebola" during and after a match. For some obscure reason, I my memory is telling me this was at QPR (bizarre considering he's not played for either us or QPR. I put it down to drunken idiocy, and was pleased to note that nobody else joined in with them. Bolasie being another black player of African descent, of course. Curious, that.

I loathe Zaha and everything he represents as a footballer. He's a diver, a cheat, and a whining little idiot who'd do well to spend less time sobbing to the referee and more time trying to play actual football.

However: making comments to him about Ebola is, transparently, racially motivated and therefore entirely unacceptable. I'm glad he didn't have to hear that shit.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I have to say the only time I've racist abuse in the modern era was towards a Ghanaian friend of mine from Brighton fans at an away game.

A few pissed up idiots.

On a positive note those games converted him to the Albion. I caught up with him recently after a few years and I'm dragging down to the Amex for the first time.

If anyone sees us and thinks he's a Premier League tourist, he saw us lose 4 nil at Brentford.

Sent from my BTV-DL09 using Tapatalk

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
To be honest. It matters not one jot whether the comments were ''racist'' or simply in ''bad taste''.

I find it racist, others obviously on here do not and that is their prerogative.

However as soon as whatever is chanted begins to offend the people and peers in the vicinity or anywhere in the ground then that particular chant becomes unacceptable. So for that reason alone the OP should report it and let the Club make up their minds on whether they feel it is something that they are willing to put up with. It is their ground and property and they will know what they are willing to put up with and what they are not. Remember the PL is a world wide stage and the club has a superb reputation to date and as such that reputation deserves to be protected.

I suggest you look Google 'Stephen Fry and offended'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here