Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Car Parking

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Just reported on Meridian News that Brightion has made the 2nd largest, behind London, surplus on parking charges after all expenses paid of £1.2m

Is" Brightion" at Brighton station by any chance:lolol:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Wouldn't surprise me as Brigthon council parking restrictions are stricter than most London councils ones. It's possible to park on street for free in quite a few places in Westminster or Knightsbridge on Saturday afternoon or all of Sunday. However a backstreet in deepest Hove has restrictions on until 8pm on a Sunday. It's disproportionate and is what has allowed B & H council to rake in so much.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
According to the council, every penny of profit goes to pay for bus passes. If they didn't get the parking money, the old folk would have pay bus fares

Goberpiles

Feb 25, 2017
The joke is if that was outsourced to NCP and they were making 20m profit a year their would be uproar! Excessive profit, and they could half the price and still pocket 10m

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
They’re a bit slow. It was in the Metro last week.

Oh, it was behind several London Boroughs, so not strictly second.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You missed an important '2' from your post. Profit was £21.2m.

As said above most of the profit went on old peoples bus passes.

Are you sure as I am sure they said £1.2m net profit but may have misheard it. Also isnt the bus passes paid for by the County council rather than Brighton council as mine is issued by applying to Mid Sussex but bears the signage of West Sussex County Council to whom application is made for a replacement for loss etc.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
According to the council, every penny of profit goes to pay for bus passes. If they didn't get the parking money, the old folk would have pay bus fares

In which case they are lying. The previously reported figures (I've not seen these latest ones yet) showed the council raking in over £16m of which around £11m was used to pay for bus passes. Also it would be the council taxpayer that picks up the tab for the passes as the council has no choice but to provide them. The council still made a decent profit though clearly showing that park permits and charges are too high.

*** awaits the usual pro-council bore to come along and spew his knowledge ***

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Are you sure as I am sure they said £1.2m net profit but may have misheard it. Also isnt the bus passes paid for by the County council rather than Brighton council as mine is issued by applying to Mid Sussex but bears the signage of West Sussex County Council to whom application is made for a replacement for loss etc.

That's because you live in West Sussex and not B&H !

Renegade

Nov 24, 2017
Parking charges in Brighton are mindblowing.A night out parking in Churchill Square usually cost's me £15 for a few hours if I stay past midnight.If I wanted to stay all night at my g/fs then it would be around £25.Ridiculous.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Local authorities are required by law to keep a 'parking account' where every penny that they collect in parking income (p&d & pcn & permits + bus lane emforcement etc.) Has to be spent on something transport related - from bus passes to improvements in transport, sustainable transport (cycle lanes, cyvle training, indpendent travel training) etc. Etc.). & they are not allowed to raise fees to make a profit / pay for ther services

So the common misconception that the parking motorist is a huge cash cow is largely ill informed bollax.

Yes the motorist pays for a lot of services - but not the ones that need the money (services for elderly, looked after children, special needs & housing). Central government have made it illegal to spend parking money on those service areas.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
In which case they are lying. The previously reported figures (I've not seen these latest ones yet) showed the council raking in over £16m of which around £11m was used to pay for bus passes. Also it would be the council taxpayer that picks up the tab for the passes as the council has no choice but to provide them. The council still made a decent profit though clearly showing that park permits and charges are too high.

*** awaits the usual pro-council bore to come along and spew his knowledge ***

See my previous comment

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The joke is if that was outsourced to NCP and they were making 20m profit a year their would be uproar! Excessive profit, and they could half the price and still pocket 10m

I think your sums need a little work.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here