Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion U23 v Wolverhampton Wanderers U23 PL2 checkatrade stadium 19.00 ko

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Will Collar.Tilley on for Bjork

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
1-1

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So why is our U23 so crap considering we seem to play squad players occassionally?
They are doing fine in their league - it is just in the 3 games in the checkatrade trophy where they have been 'crap'.

Why is a tricky question. Lack of tactical preparation for these games ? Too many match rusty senior squad players involved ? :shrug:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I wonder if they have ever started anything even proximating a regular starting XI.
Doesn't make for consistent results.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I wonder if they have ever started anything even proximating a regular starting XI.
Doesn't make for consistent results.

I don't think there is such a thing as a regular starting XI when it comes to development squad football. We have 31 members of the development squad; when you factor in first team squad members returning from injury & requiring playing time, it simply isn't going to happen. We have used 47 different players in 17 matches - it is just the nature of the beast.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I think there is a place for at least one more team, especially with quite an increasing playing staff and its massive annual budget, something similar to the old reserve teams with the direction being the best performing U23 players being promoted to the reserves rather than the U23's sucking down the first team players, injured, suspensions or out of favour.

It would calm the inevitable disruption to our U23's allowing a more clear assessment of performance levels of those youngsters currently that either dont play regularly or play with constantly changing personnel, allowing players to emerge through a more replicated system to the first team.

Promotion through U23's then the reserves should encourage a more trusted pathway to the first team rather than the unlikely jump from U23's to first team or a likely loan to a low level league club, which might not deliver appropriate quality or the clubs ethos and style of play.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here