Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] France (Macron) wants to BAN the wolf whistle

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
The world has gone mad. Next thing, they will frown upon rubbing yourself up against a young bit of totty on a crowded bus???
I'm 57 years of age BTW

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I'm not saying you called the older generation sexist, but you did.

I think he was trying to be patronising...he succeeded.

Bless his little cotton socks.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I can't recall the last time I heard a wolf whistle being made towards a girl, i thought it had already died a death as being unacceptable in society today.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
It's largely a generational thing, as many have stated.
Can't remember when I last heard a wolf whistle; but in its heyday, I don't suppose it offended anyone, in fact, probably the opposite.
Society has changed so much and people are offended by so many things these days, it is inevitable that the wolf whistle will be up there, climbing the league table of offensive behaviour along with loads of other things that are,rightly or wrongly, considered offensive.
No need to ban it, it will die out.
I never learned the art of wolf whistling, so my form of sexual harrassment at seeing an exceedingly attractive member of the opposite sex was probably confined to a double take and quietly saying, 'wow' to myself!:)
A bit tame from Block F, 70 next birthday.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
It's a generational thing. I'm 38 and don't know anyone who would even consider doing it.

Wait for the older generation to retire and die and it will fade out. (Not saying all older generation are sexist btw but in my experience it is)

Same as racism really. It's only people brought up thinking it's acceptable are ones who are/do it.

It will die a death as society evolves in my opinion.

total bollocks. You maybe are not that into birds or have lad mates is all that says.

Groups of blokes act up to the opposite sex and let them know about it. Same as its always been . Only difference is now you are just as likely to get a load of women heckling a bloke in the street .

Its all harmless

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
The whistling is part of a wider issue being described as 'street harassment' and includes following women in public, repeated requests for phone numbers, getting up too close (invading personal space) and of course, wolf whistling. Women's groups are calling for a distinction in the law between harassment and flirting so that spot fines etc can be imposed on men who cross the line.
Personally, I am comfortable with giving a lady a nice smile and eye contact, but that is about it nowadays, anything else could result in being kneed in the goolies or getting maced, then probably arrested. In public it may be a good idea for single men to be distinguishable by a standard mark or pin/badge that lets ladies know you are single so that you don't have to risk being lynched for approaching someone of the opposite sex and will just have to wait until you are 'chosen'.
:shrug:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Plenty of lads on building sites still doing it, nothing to do with the older generations

Perhaps on little jobs, but on big sites, run by the big contractors?

I've not witnessed it once in the last decade, and I've been on (far too) many big sites.

Wilmot Dixon, Interserve, BAM, etc and the other contractors are so massively hot on the 'Considerate Contractor' stuff - the level of shit coming your way, would make you an enormous cretin if you indulged in such 'banter'.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I love the pretence that a wolf whistle has ever been about anything other than making women feel uncomfortable.

It's a shame evolution hasn't got rid of it already.

It's getting there though, I reckon. Signs outside building sites about the construction firm employees taking seriously their ethical and social responsibilities have been around for years. Also, is it very common at all in the UK? I mentioned in jest the old-fashioned 'phwoarr' sign with the arms that's now gone forever.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
It's getting there though, I reckon. Signs outside building sites about the construction firm employees taking seriously their ethical and social responsibilities have been around for years. Also, is it very common at all in the UK? I mentioned in jest the old-fashioned 'phwoarr' sign with the arms that's now gone forever.

I don't think I've heard one for some time (no surprise there - right?) It certainly wouldn't be top of my legislative agenda.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I don't think I've heard one for some time (no surprise there - right?) It certainly wouldn't be top of my legislative agenda.

Ha! Yep - Likewise, I hesitated to say that it's a rare occurrence because I'm clearly not the right demographic. I agree, not sure legislation is the answer, a bit of publicity about how uncomfortable and scared it makes some women feel seems to be the right thing to do but I've no idea how widespread it is.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
total bollocks. You maybe are not that into birds or have lad mates is all that says.

Groups of blokes act up to the opposite sex and let them know about it.

Total bollocks.

Perhaps you're immature and find it acceptable. And have immature mates who also find it acceptable.

Any bloke with half a brain who is on the pull should know that leering at women or wolf whistling at them will not make a woman find them attractive.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I tell you what's died a death - the good-old fashioned British phwoarr with one arm in the bend of the other. To the rest of the world it's an insult but in this fair isle it used to be a subtle way of conveying your admiration for the fairer sex.

Le-bras-d-honneur-de-Patrick-Balkany-a-Canal-Plus-et-autres-medias.gif

I don't know why but that made me laugh out loud. Hilarious gif.

But on the issue itself, surely there are more important things to be legislating against?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Any bloke with half a brain who is on the pull should know that leering at women or wolf whistling at them will not make a woman find them attractive.

no one gives a sh1t , its normally just acting up.

No one walks about pubs doing it.

Jesus

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
A wolf whistle in itself is harmless and yes I've heard one recently by a young GIRL to a boy and again just because someone was dressed up for an occasion. Some comments on here quite staggering.

It's just stigmatised because of groups of bellends doing it in conjunction with sexist comments.

The craziest part of the world today is not the crazy itself, but listening to supposedly sound-minded people try and rationalise it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here