Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] My one annoyance from yesterday...

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Apart from the one Gross scored in the last game, and the one Murray scored one in the game just before that.

Not at all.
Gross' goal was squared across to a position roughly level with the penalty spot. Much much deeper than we are talking about in the context of yesterday. It was across rather than behind the defence.
Murray's goal was from a ball sent in from deep on a diagonal. Totally different and Murray didn't beat the defence for pace but because they were so busy holding a line they didn't bother moving.

Goals scored by the Albion where a player takes a gamble on a ball being whipped across the line of the goal area are rare.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
We have seen in most games that whilst Murray and Hemed are doing well, a fast, better quality striker could have had a hat full this season.

Lots of people said that if we're anywhere other than the relegation places at Xmas, we'll spend up front. Uncle Tony will be shopping after Christmas, and I suspect he'll spend big.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Not at all.
Gross' goal was squared across to a position roughly level with the penalty spot. Much much deeper than we are talking about in the context of yesterday. It was across rather than behind the defence.
Murray's goal was from a ball sent in from deep on a diagonal. Totally different and Murray didn't beat the defence for pace but because they were so busy holding a line they didn't bother moving.

Goals scored by the Albion where a player takes a gamble on a ball being whipped across the line of the goal area are rare.

Yep. Fair enough. They are rare which isn't the same as "Almost never. " which was your opening gambit.

This was one was pretty good.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kVz5p8FPAlg

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Agree with this. Most of them seemed to be doing such a roaring trade, they had no made to hassle anyone to buy anything. My highlight of the geezers-selling-stuff was the one who had a replica European Cup and was charging people to hold it so they could take their photo with it outside the front of the ground. I admire that level of entrepreneurship.

And, as I said over here: http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...ompared-to-the-Taxpayers-Stadium-amp-Emirates - I actually liked the tat sellers and numerous burger vans and the like - it feels more like proper football to me, and in a place where we expect top level corporate modern football. The approach to the Amex from the station is bland and sterile.

We used to sell photos holding trophies. I've got one with the (old) 3rd div cup & 2nd div cup won in 01 & 02 respectively. Barber is missing a trick here, imo.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Those two delightful "corridor of uncertainty" crosses put in by Knocky and Bruno in the second half that no one gambled and attacked.

Someone should have been in there for a simple tap in.

That'd be Hemed, at least for the Bruno one -- can't remember if he was on the pitch for the Knocky one -- which just reaffirms my view that, as good as he is, he hasn't quite got the poacher ability to be a top goalscorer.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That'd be Hemed, at least for the Bruno one -- can't remember if he was on the pitch for the Knocky one -- which just reaffirms my view that, as good as he is, he hasn't quite got the poacher ability to be a top goalscorer.
Which just reaffirms my view that some fans will happily scapegoat Hemed while turning a blind eye to Murray's inadequacies in identical situations.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
What annoyed me, being searched getting off the train and going in the ground, jobsworth steward made me get two chargers out of my bag to just stare at them.

The worlds smallest concourse ever and the stupid kids behind me using the c word non-stop, but football wise excellent.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Which just reaffirms my view that some fans will happily scapegoat Hemed while turning a blind eye to Murray's inadequacies in identical situations.

1. I'm not scapegoating Hemed. Read what I said which included the phrase "as good as he is" for instance
2. I've since seen MotD, and Murray was on the pitch for that Knockaert cross, and got close to it, far closer than Hemed did for Bruno's
3. Murray is a fine poacher, he's very alive in the box, and it's only that he's tall that people don't associate him with the 'fox in the box'.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Yep. Fair enough. They are rare which isn't the same as "Almost never. " which was your opening gambit.

This was one was pretty good.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kVz5p8FPAlg

Great memory :thumbsup:
Exactly what we needed yesterday........pace in the middle.
Pretty sure that Izquierdo will start Tuesday. It would be great to see him and Knockaert coming inside more to support Murray when attacks develop on the opposite wing

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Agree with this. Most of them seemed to be doing such a roaring trade, they had no made to hassle anyone to buy anything. My highlight of the geezers-selling-stuff was the one who had a replica European Cup and was charging people to hold it so they could take their photo with it outside the front of the ground. I admire that level of entrepreneurship.

And, as I said over here: http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...ompared-to-the-Taxpayers-Stadium-amp-Emirates - I actually liked the tat sellers and numerous burger vans and the like - it feels more like proper football to me, and in a place where we expect top level corporate modern football. The approach to the Amex from the station is bland and sterile.

There was a pitch we saw walking back after the game to my mate's place in Chorlton that had United coloured scarves with players names on. Luke Shaw didn't seem to have sold many.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Knocky is like a year old Labrador, gets far to exited.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I actually liked the tat sellers and numerous burger vans and the like - it feels more like proper football to me, and in a place where we expect top level corporate modern football. The approach to the Amex from the station is bland and sterile.

Assuming at OT the geezers selling stuff were on the public highway so it's legal to be a peddler there but the station approach to the Amex will be private land where it's not possible to be a peddler. Guess only place they'd be able to legally sell tat is up on Village Way.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Until we can buy a fox in the box striker to help GM why not try Kayal in midfield with Stephens again and play Propper further forward as he plays for Netherlands.

As regards the kit I prefer us in Blue and White stripes but can understand the commercial sense of wearing yellow when away.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Dropping Gross for Kayal.

#RarelyWrong.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Totally agree. Have been saying that, and yesterday unfortunately was another example, happens far too often. Without being negative with our overall Excellent performance. Need to gamble more often with balls into six yard box.

Sent from my G7-L01 using Tapatalk

Need to shoot more often ! Get lucky like they did .

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Knockhart s cross was too heavy for Murray when he should have done better. Saw on MOTD him saying "I tried" to Murray who was obviously pointing that out. Thought AK had a great game though.

GooGull

Aug 14, 2016
What searches? Only one I had was at the turnstile and it was rubbish to be honest. The guy brushed over my coat and that was it even touched my drinks bottle and just waved me through. I thought you weren’t allowed to take bottles into the ground? I was fully expecting the works as far as security is concerned but I found it even less than the Amex. Maybe i just look like a nice guy:albion2:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Until we can buy a fox in the box striker to help GM why not try Kayal in midfield with Stephens again and play Propper further forward as he plays for Netherlands.

How will that help in the box?

Groß is THE success story of our season, creating the bulk of our chances. How is dropping him from the side going to help? And with the added 'bonus' of disrupting the very impressive and settled Stephens / Prӧpper axis :shrug:

If Groß were ever missing for a game, then the reshuffle you suggest would come into consideration, but otherwise, no chance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here