Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Them not giving the ball back...

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Has there not been a thread on this yet? Not sure I've ever seen it before where we've kicked the ball out for an injured player and the opposition have refused to give the ball back.

larus

Has there not been a thread on this yet? Not sure I've ever seen it before where we've kicked the ball out for an injured player and the opposition have refused to give the ball back.

Shows 2 things to me.

1 - they are scum.
2 - they were worried and wanted any possible advantage.

I understand if a player goes down and you play on for a bit, but they kept going for a long time, And then the scum didn’t give the ball back. Have I called them scum yet BTW?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Well yes the Knockaert injury. It was about the only point in the game where the whole stadium got noisy.

Thing was, we all knew Knocky was ok but once he’d started he couldn’t then just get up.

Regardless I was FUMING and glad we reciprocated later in the game when one of theirs was down.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Thing was, we all knew Knocky was ok but once he’d started he couldn’t then just get up.

Regardless I was FUMING and glad we reciprocated later in the game when one of theirs was down.

Is he not possibly getting a bit of a reputation? Yes he does get targeted but have seen a few games this year and certainly last season where he goes down too easily, possibly when not even touched

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Same happened at Bournemouth when Gross was (fouled) down just outside their box. They eventually won a corner and scored from it.

But it's the rule now, unless there is a real or pretend head injury there is no requirement to knock the ball out. I actually agree with this change.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Well yes the Knockaert injury. It was about the only point in the game where the whole stadium got noisy.

They only really make any noise in reaction to when we sang "you dirty northern B******'s", something they absolutely hated and seemingly took offense to, hence that reaction. To be fair though, most of their fans in the ground weren't Northern at all, so you can see why they would be offended.....

Regarding their playing on, it just shows how much this level is all about results and trying to get any little advantage you can, with sportsmanship being replaced by gamesmanship. Playing on against little old Brighton when reduced to 10 men just shows how well we did yesterday and how hard we made it for them

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I dont agree with giving the ball back anyway at least not to the keeper. I think they should either (a) kick it back over where it went off if not in a dangerous area (b) Kick it off near the half way line (c) Kick it off down near the corner flag furthest way from our goal. They then swap the throw in rather than give any advantage. I think it is ridiculous to give the ball to the keeper and him be able to score direct with a long punt. The least that should be done is hit it out for a goal kick.

bobzam

Brighton 'til I die
Aug 13, 2008
Bristol
THat indicent riled their fans and created a bit of atmosphere from them. That 10mins they put pressure on and we got deeper. They got the lucky goal and then it went flat from them again. I thought some of the football we played, especially first half was fantastic. Murray holding ball up and gross, Anthony Knockaert, gross and propper all supporting in numbers. Proud!!

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I don't mind them playing on, but not giving the ball back was extremely unsporting. I've often wondered why we can't adopt the rugby system where the players get treatment whilst the game just goes on around them. This would stop any time-wasting 'injuries' as well.

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
Have to say, i felt it was a pretty bad scythe on AK and could not understand how the officials didnt see Lindehof deliberately raise his legs in the tackle for maximum impact

Steve in Japan

NSC Patreon
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I don't think the ball should be kicked out. I don't know the exact rules but the Ref can stop the game if in his opinion the injury is serious.

It's just gamesmanship in 90+% of cases. We all know this.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Is he not possibly getting a bit of a reputation? Yes he does get targeted but have seen a few games this year and certainly last season where he goes down too easily, possibly when not even touched

Yes, unfortunately. The United fans around me were saying play on, ignore him. That's why they booed him when he ran back on the pitch after treatment.
The ref isn't obliged to stop a game, unless it's a head injury.

It's not as if we didn't do the same last Monday when a Stoke player went down. Eventually he got up on his own & joined back in the game.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Massive poor show of gamesmanship and was fuming. However it’s also a massive backhanded compliment to us - everyone knows we went there and deserved something for our efforts - even Jose so it must be true! We’re staying up lads :clap2:

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Love a committed challenge but looked like a foul to me, ball and man.

Don't blame them for playing on as Lindelof was probably the only one who knew he'd caught him, the rest of them taking the referee's verdict.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The referee controls the game, not the players.

In this instance the red is powerless though. It was shockingly poor gamesmanship from Man Utd - no two ways about it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here