Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Contract durations of Albion players - 2017-18 edition

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Somewhat belatedly, I have gotten around to compiling the 2017-18 edition of the complete listing of contract durations of professional Albion players (all 63 of them). You can view it, in all its colour-coordinated glory, here --------> Premier League Brighton & Hove Albion squad contract durations - 2017-18

Now that we are in the Premier League I have attempted to list the players in such a way that recognises the 25-man squad system (and its implications for Premier League availability), whilst not ignoring any of our contracted players. I haven't shown scholars who have not yet signed a professional contract with the club.

Feel free to leave any feedback you have, or constructive criticism, on this thread (or if you believe there are any errors or you can clarify contract lengths for some of the under-21s).

I will keep the list updated if there are any loan changes or new contracts get inked. I also intend to re-do the listing when the January transfer window shuts and the February edition of the 25-man squad gets published.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
All those out of contract in June next year will likely be released with the exception of Bong and maybe Bruno and Krul?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Hornby-Forbes is back from Accrington now. No idea why.

Has Walton's loan to Wigan been terminated or does he go back now he is fit ?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Would hope we offer Molumby, Bjordal and perhaps Hutchinson extensions......

I like Dallison but he just hasn't kicked on in the last 12 months. I would like to see Ben White given an extension as well.

From the firsts surely Bruno, Bong and Uwe have earned extensions, whether Uwe will want one is a separate issue of course.

EDIT:

Thanks for post [MENTION=1276]AZ Gull[/MENTION]

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
All those out of contract in June next year will likely be released with the exception of Bong and maybe Bruno and Krul?

I hope Bong will ink a new deal, he's coped with the step up a lot better than I thought he would. Not sure on Krul, he's not impressed in the u-23's I've seen him play in, and think he'll leave for somewhere that may be able to offer him regular matches. Also have this nagging feeling that Bruno will probably retire from playing at the end of the season.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
I hope Bong will ink a new deal, he's coped with the step up a lot better than I thought he would. Not sure on Krul, he's not impressed in the u-23's I've seen him play in, and think he'll leave for somewhere that may be able to offer him regular matches. Also have this nagging feeling that Bruno will probably retire from playing at the end of the season.

No chance. He loves playing football and he’s currently plying his trade in one of the best leagues in world football.

The bloke is an absolute freak of nature and at 37 now I can honestly see him playing on until he’s 40. What an incredible achievement that would be.

It’ll be a sad sad day when Bruno hangs up his boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Is Walton still on loan to Wigan? I thought he played for our U23s the other day.

Great to have this link, so thanks again, by the way.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
No chance. He loves playing football and he’s currently plying his trade in one of the best leagues in world football.

The bloke is an absolute freak of nature and at 37 now I can honestly see him playing on until he’s 40. What an incredible achievement that would be.

It’ll be a sad sad day when Bruno hangs up his boots.

He could do that, I don't doubt it. The bigger question is will he want to.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Would hope we offer Molumby, Bjordal and perhaps Hutchinson extensions......

I like Dallison but he just hasn't kicked on in the last 12 months. I would like to see Ben White given an extension as well.

From the firsts surely Bruno, Bong and Uwe have earned extensions, whether Uwe will want one is a separate issue of course.

EDIT:

Thanks for post [MENTION=1276]AZ Gull[/MENTION]
Dallison (and Hornby-Forbes) have hardly had a kick in anger at Accrington since the window closed at the end of August (by which time Accrington had presumably finished getting in players they wanted and rated higher than our two loanees).
They might as well come back in January, and either actually play a few games in the U21s/U23s, or go out on loan somewhere else where they will get some game time.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Dallison (and Hornby-Forbes) have hardly had a kick in anger at Accrington since the window closed at the end of August (by which time Accrington had presumably finished getting in players they wanted and rated higher than our two loanees).
They might as well come back in January, and either actually play a few games in the U21s/U23s, or go out on loan somewhere else where they will get some game time.
Hornby-Forbes is already back from loan.

See the end of this article :

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/15669904.Walton_returns_in_comeback_win_for_Albion/

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Cheers, so he is. I wonder what the position is regarding Walton? He went on a 12 month loan, but is now back playing for us (I know he lost his place at Wigan through injury, but can he play for us, and still go back again, or what?)
I've no idea what the plan is for Walton.

If we are struggling for home grown players in the February 25man squad, I suppose he could even replace Maenpaa in the 25.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
As I understand it a loan player can still play for the parent club's "junior" side (but not their first team) and return to the loan team. Handy when a loanee isn't starting for he loan club

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;8216279 said:
You have Molumby with a question mark and June 2018 - I'd imagine the club have him tied to a longer contract than that - hopefully anyway!

When Molumby joined us in the summer of 2015, it was on a three-year deal; the first year was a scholar year (2015-16) followed by a two-year professional contract.

As of September 2017, no new contract had been registered with the FA (as evidenced by the monthly FA Player Registration bulletins). So, based upon the information available, I would conclude that Molumby's current deal expires at the end of June next year.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Hornby-Forbes is back from Accrington now. No idea why.

Has Walton's loan to Wigan been terminated or does he go back now he is fit ?

Is Walton still on loan to Wigan? I thought he played for our U23s the other day.

Great to have this link, so thanks again, by the way.

Hornby-Forbes is already back from loan.

See the end of this article :

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/15669904.Walton_returns_in_comeback_win_for_Albion/

Cheers, so he is. I wonder what the position is regarding Walton? He went on a 12 month loan, but is now back playing for us (I know he lost his place at Wigan through injury, but can he play for us, and still go back again, or what?)

As I understand it a loan player can still play for the parent club's "junior" side (but not their first team) and return to the loan team. Handy when a loanee isn't starting for he loan club

To corroborate what [MENTION=6678]severnside gull[/MENTION] says, loans do allow development squad players to play for the parent club's U-23 side; I don't know if that is automatic, or whether the parent club has to expressly include such a clause in the loan agreement. At any rate, we saw it earlier this season when goalkeeper Bailey Vose went on loan during pre-season to Eastbourne Borough. He was ever-present for Sports until his loan ended 11 days ago, but it didn't stop him playing for Albion U-23s against Newcastle on September 18.

*** In the case of Walton: I simply don't know for certain whether his loan at Wigan is still in place, but a couple of items on the Vital Wigan forum suggest they think he is due to return to them. Firstly, this post from October 7

Colclough, not sure, but Jacobs was possibly available for today . As for the goalie, when Walton's back, the Manager will have a real problem. All those writing Jones off as someone else's discard were miles off target.

and secondly, this article from 6 days ago

5) Is Jamie Jones good enough?

Jones didn't cover himself in glory at all on Saturday. The first shot for the opening goal was powerful, but parried straight back into the danger area. The second he should have saved- simple as. He kept 5 out of 6 clean sheets in his opening games, but they were against poor opposition in games we dominated. A few too many mistakes seem to be creeping into his game recently, and with Christian Walton due to return from injury, is Jones' run coming to an end?

*** As for Tom Dallison, we know that he was able to return to play for Albion's U-23s because Accrington Stanley specifically told us on October 26:

Tom Dallison has gone back to play a couple of games with Brighton U23’s but that was written into the terms of his loan that we could do that, it keeps him match-fit should we need to call upon him and also helps out their squad as they are currently suffering a bit of an injury crisis.

He returned to Albion and played for the U-23s on October 20 and was an unused sub on October 30. However, we might not see him anywhere for a little while: on November 21 he had a surgical procedure done. I have no idea what it was for, but I don't think it was too serious as he was on an exercise bike starting his rehabilitation three days later.

*** Seeing as Tyler Hornby-Forbes joined the same club as Dallison on the same day, I don't think it's a stretch to believe that a similar clause allowing him to play for Albion's U-23s was included in his loan agreement too. So, his appearance against Stoke doesn't necessarily mean he's back for good (despite what the Argus said). When they joined Accrington Stanley on August 4 Albion reported the agreement was until January 1, so I'm going to assume the loans are still in place until I see or hear concrete evidence otherwise.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I would like to see Ben White given an extension as well.

He signed a new contract on January 3. We have no idea how long it was for, as the club have never made any mention of it. We only know about it because of the FA Player Registration bulletin.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

Not sure on Krul, he's not impressed in the u-23's I've seen him play in, and think he'll leave for somewhere that may be able to offer him regular matches.

I wouldn't be quite so quick to write-off the prospects of Krul, Rosenior and Sidwell getting new deals. At the risk of repeating myself on here......

In order to name a 25-man squad for the Premier League, at least 8 players have to be Home Grown (HGP). We currently have 9. Now, whilst I would love Dunk to still be playing for Albion in the Premier League in 2018-19, there must be a decent chance he will be tempted away next summer. And even if he isn't, that would almost certainly mean that Goldson goes out on loan (assuming, of course, Albion stay up).

So, we are likely to lose one of our HGPs. We would then be down to the minimum. Whilst it is possible that Walton comes into the 25-man squad, the problem that presents is that you are probably guaranteeing him a season with very little competitive football (a handful of cup matches), when ideally he would be playing every week.

Given the premium that HGPs command in the market, it is difficult to imagine that many (if any) of our recruitment targets fit that criteria. So, our remaining HGPs will be worth their weight in gold.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He signed a new contract on January 3. We have no idea how long it was for, as the club have never made any mention of it. We only know about it because of the FA Player Registration bulletin.

I think the assumption of two years is probably very accurate.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here