Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player ratings v Man Utd (a)

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I didn't label it as 'chant of the day', I disagreed with you labelling it as tired and predictable.

No, but the post I originally replied to did label it 'chant of the afternoon'. But well done on ignoring the entire rest of the post and instead focusing on splitting hairs.

1490207.jpg

For someone to care as much as you clearly do, am guessing you are closet United? Half and half scarf already on your wall?

Ah the classic "You moaned about something Brighton related so you're secretly Palace/Man.U/Liverpool/JCL" line.

Took longer than I was expecting, to be honest.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Comparing it to homophobic chants and implied bestiality... ok.

First of all we weren’t being directly offensive (heaven ****ing forbid) and is simply a statement of truth, with implication that it isn’t true for large part of the other 67k present, which is also undoubtedly accurate.

You must be a right laugh.

Without wanting to inflame existing tensions, for me it's just a completely unoriginal chant that fans of the big six must hear week in week out and it'd just be eye rolling white noise to them if they bother hearing it at all.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
No, but the post I originally replied to did label it 'chant of the afternoon'. But well done on ignoring the entire rest of the post and instead focusing on splitting hairs.

1490207.jpg

The rest of your post made it hard to take you seriously, and not worth my time. Particularly the part where you deny that a large part of their crowd isn't local.

Foregoing the many self-proclaimed ST holders with southern accents on the train with us, our group asked dozens of people how long the tram queues would take after the game with thousands queueing speaking foreign languages. We fished out the most 'english' looking people and got blank stares. The last guy my mate was convinced was an oldskool mardy northerner with his walking stick, turned out to be Polish.

I felt like I got a decent cross-section of their support yesterday having been in fairly close proximity of the ground for much of the day.

Without wanting to inflame existing tensions, for me it's just a completely unoriginal chant that fans of the big six must hear week in week out and it'd just be eye rolling white noise to them if they bother hearing it at all.

Fair enough. I never claimed it to be original and witty. I find it hard to put myself in the place of their fans though because alot of them aren't football people. Even if unoriginal, boring and predictable they probably deserve to hear it week in week out because they are 'supporters' by association of success. The message is a very real one, even if the chant is abit tired.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
The rest of your post made it hard to take you seriously, and not worth my time. Particularly the part where you deny that a large part of their crowd isn't local.

Foregoing the many self-proclaimed ST holders with southern accents on the train with us, our group asked dozens of people how long the tram queues would take after the game with thousands queueing speaking foreign languages. We fished out the most 'english' looking people and got blank stares. The last guy my mate was convinced was an oldskool mardy northerner with his walking stick, turned out to be Polish.

I felt like I got a decent cross-section of their support yesterday having been in fairly close proximity of the ground for much of the day.

Fair enough. I never claimed it to be original and witty. I find it hard to put myself in the place of their fans though because alot of them aren't football people. Even if unoriginal, boring and predictable they probably deserve to hear it week in week out because they are 'supporters' by association of success. The message is a very real one, even if the chant is abit tired.

:lolol: You actually went round asking people if they were from Manchester? Jesus, your away game experience sound like a lot of fun.

If chanting that you support local team at a bunch of people who either A) Do support their local team , or B) don't care. then fair enough. I think as a fan-base we can come up with better than shitty regurgitated chant, but what do I know, you went round asking strangers where they were from to fulfill your feeling of smug superiority so obviously you're the oracle on away games.

I hope you also sung it at Arsenal, and will sing it at Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool, Spurs, any Huddersfield fans who live closer to Bradford than Huddersfield, any Palace fans who live closer to Crawley, any Stoke fans who live closer to Port Vale etc etc etc.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
:lolol: You actually went round asking people if they were from Manchester? Jesus, your away game experience sound like a lot of fun.

If chanting that you support local team at a bunch of people who either A) Do support their local team , or B) don't care. then fair enough. I think as a fan-base we can come up with better than shitty regurgitated chant, but what do I know, you went round asking strangers where they were from to fulfill your feeling of smug superiority so obviously you're the oracle on away games.

I hope you also sung it at Arsenal, and will sing it at Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool, Spurs, any Huddersfield fans who live closer to Bradford than Huddersfield, any Palace fans who live closer to Crawley, any Stoke fans who live closer to Port Vale etc etc etc.

An entire post contructed on the false pretence that I went round asking people if they were from Manchester. I'm not sure how you managed to conjure that up.

You did manage to squeeze in a bit of sense, in that you think we can come up with better, which is fair enough.

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Jeez, didn’t realise people would so precious about a comment about ‘chant of the day’ at OT.
Maybe next time Albion fans should sit in silence for 90 minutes and not sing, just so we don’t upset other Albion fans with our ‘boring and predictable’ chants.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My eldest son and his mates got complimentary tickets from one of thems suppliers but they were in the United end. He told me that on one side they had 4 people from the Far east Korea or similar and on the other 2 from Norway all were decked out in new Man Utd scarves etc

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
Our support sounded really good on the telly and it was really pleasing to watch our shape and discipline, nearly keeping them in check the whole game. Still, as good a performance as it was, we didn't actually cause De Gea any real problems. If we get that sorted and regularly play like we did up there we really will be a solid Premiership team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here