Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Have you ever shouted abuse at an Albion player

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Was she lethargic?

I was quite excited when we got together but I quickly realised her best days were behind her.
I actually dumped her after getting off with her best friend , who was considerably fitter than morrAllee bird.
I remember chuckling to myself , at the time, that I faced a ’morallee dilemma’.
Suffice to say I ended up with neither of them.

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
I would not slang a player off for lack of ability providing they did their best, not their fault the club signed them , but Leon Best is different,what a waste of space,did he have to ever have his kit washed

i doubt it , what a Horrible Tssr , mystery was why he played as often as he did , dark days ...

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2011/oct/05/the-fiver-pele-daniella-westbrook

The Jamie Moralee whose one moment of genuine tabloid fame came when septum-pulverising soap actress Daniella Westbrook named him as her all-time No1 conquest: "He was really good in bed. Everything he done was good. Jamie was the guv'nor. He was a giver not a receiver - most blokes are the other way around. He also had a big tig."

The Jamie Moralee who chivalrously responded to that praise by saying: "It's very flattering. She has slept with a whole load of people and for me to come out top is a real boost."
Brilliant! I'd forgotten about this. Oh and yes, he was utter dogshit when he played for us.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In 42 years of watching, I can only remember shouting at or booing the crapness of Gavin Hoyte, as he was out-everything'd by every opponent in front of the Withdean South Scaffold. I was one of many fuming punters.

Normally I (and others) give over the top support to players singled out by noisy lynch mobs. I remember Bridcutt, Lopez and Hemed having haters nearby to me whilst I've sat in various parts of the Amex. Disagreeing with them, I vigorously applauded their every tackle, pass or goal.

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
The José thread got me thinking about abuse from the terraces at Brighton players ( not that I heard any on Monday)

And who have you been surprised to see abused. For me that has to be Glenn Murray in his first stint here. Never got it as I have always really rated him, from the day he arrived here, and he was playing through injury for a few months.

I have to confess to being very unimpressed by Nicky Rust when he came back from injury. Looked a totally different player and I admit to shouting abuse as yet another shot winged it’s way past him and nestled in the net. The only other player I have abused from the terraces was Andy Kennedy who always held his arm up for the ball but refused to actually run for it unless it dropped to his feet.

That’s it from me although I really wasn’t a fan of Johnny Crumplin, apart from the game at Liverpool when he had John Barnes in his pocket. He always tried so hard that I couldn’t bring myself to abuse him.

I know some of you would never shout abuse at a player but I bet most of you have. Who, and why?

This touched a nerve. I was once so incensed by Andy Kennedy's unwillingness to ever sprint (no make that run) that on one particularly galling occasion at Elm Park, I actually climbed the fence to abuse him. I have a vague memory that he glared at me but thought better of things when he saw the faces of the other 3-4k of us there that day..

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I try not to criticise our players but it's mainly those that we've had on loan that have made me dispair e.g. Mahoney- Johnstone from QPR and more recently Lingard. However, from the posts above it seems that Leon Best has topped the poll and he'd get my vote.

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
The José thread got me thinking about abuse from the terraces at Brighton players ( not that I heard any on Monday)

And who have you been surprised to see abused. For me that has to be Glenn Murray in his first stint here. Never got it as I have always really rated him, from the day he arrived here, and he was playing through injury for a few months.

I have to confess to being very unimpressed by Nicky Rust when he came back from injury. Looked a totally different player and I admit to shouting abuse as yet another shot winged it’s way past him and nestled in the net. The only other player I have abused from the terraces was Andy Kennedy who always held his arm up for the ball but refused to actually run for it unless it dropped to his feet.

That’s it from me although I really wasn’t a fan of Johnny Crumplin, apart from the game at Liverpool when he had John Barnes in his pocket. He always tried so hard that I couldn’t bring myself to abuse him.

I know some of you would never shout abuse at a player but I bet most of you have. Who, and why?

Only ever one for me, Barry Bridges away at Oxford, if the ball wasn't to his feet,he would not run a yard to get it, never have I disliked a Brighton player so much.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
This will be controversial, but throughout the majority of 95/96 I was on Stuart Storer’s case and questioned quite frequently how on EARTH did he ever gain his first professional contract when he was so bloody awful as a footballer.

However from the very start to the very end of the 96/97 season, he was a revelation and a changed player, and got my vote for player of the season (which I believe was not actually awarded anyway that year!)

D

Deleted member 2719

I remember the Northstand at the Goldstone winding some adjectives into Clive Walker, I never could workout why?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Whilst there have been plenty of grumblings over the decades, I can only recall booing one player in the blue and white stripes and that was the shameful embarrassment that is Akpom.

I can easily forgive mistakes and errors. Sometimes players are played out of position or just aren't up to the grade, CMS probably being the best recent example. What I can't forgive is players with ability who just can't be arsed to put in any effort whatsoever. Most of these have been loanees. Don't think Lingaard, Wilson or Best really put much effort in, and I'm far from convinced by Izzy Brown so far. Loanees have no investment in the success and future of the club and that often shows. Why I don't like us relying on loans.

But that lazy **** Akpom deserved every boo he got.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Only TWO that I can recall:

Kemy Agustien - just clearly didn't CARE.

Adrian Colunga - he got a second yellow, in the NW corner with about two minutes to go, in a game we were trailing by one goal, and trying desperately for an equalizer. Bad enough that he got sent off, but he then shuffled off REALLY slowly, in a sulk. Was SCREAMING at him to get the **** off the pitch.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Jesse Lingard deserved abuse during the play off defeat away to Derby a few years ago when we lost 4-1. LuaLua scored the consolation after we were already 4-0 down, and Lingard started celebrating and jumping on LuaLua. He was basically taking the piss, which shows that he didn't really care. Why would you do that? Still annoys me.
Dont think there has been an albion player i have found more annoying than lingard. 100% he has a face you would want to punch.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Only Brian ****ing Horton !

Brynsleynudge1

Jun 2, 2014
I shouted at Barnes as he waited to come on as a sub, he was being shown what to do on the team Ipad by Nathan Jones, " Barnes, google put the round thing in the net" Both glared, i swear Barnes mouthed the word W%$^er... Made me chuckle,
The only other time, Dale Stephens was warming up prior to the match, this was during his 'I want to play in the premier league' phase. I shouted "Dale, it's cold up North" he looked directly at me and gave the thumbs up. Good man!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Dont think there has been an albion player i have found more annoying than lingard. 100% he has a face you would want to punch.

It baffles me how he actually has 8 England caps. If baffle is the right word.

Actually, it depresses me. Yes, that's the one. Depresses.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here