Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Have you ever shouted abuse at an Albion player

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The José thread got me thinking about abuse from the terraces at Brighton players ( not that I heard any on Monday)

And who have you been surprised to see abused. For me that has to be Glenn Murray in his first stint here. Never got it as I have always really rated him, from the day he arrived here, and he was playing through injury for a few months.

I have to confess to being very unimpressed by Nicky Rust when he came back from injury. Looked a totally different player and I admit to shouting abuse as yet another shot winged it’s way past him and nestled in the net. The only other player I have abused from the terraces was Andy Kennedy who always held his arm up for the ball but refused to actually run for it unless it dropped to his feet.

That’s it from me although I really wasn’t a fan of Johnny Crumplin, apart from the game at Liverpool when he had John Barnes in his pocket. He always tried so hard that I couldn’t bring myself to abuse him.

I know some of you would never shout abuse at a player but I bet most of you have. Who, and why?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Yep - Gavin Hoyte at home to Charlton after he ambled towards a rebound half arsed. Went on Harty’s show after & let him have it too.

David Lee away at Stockport - right in front of us. Kind of went with the crowd a little bit so many BHA were having a pop cos he was shit & put in little effort.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Never and wouldn't. If they are messing up sub em, booing/jeering doesn't help anyones confidence IMO and is counter productive. A substitution , game or two on the bench is like an appraisal. Must do better

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I think the only time was CKR for his shameful performance as a sub when we were a man down and defending a 1 goal lead at Rotherham.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Yes at Mayo and Watson during that gutless thrashing in South London several years ago and they heard it as I went as near to the front as I could as a riot clad Met Policeman was stationed at the bottom of each stairwell.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
1: Darren Bent when he dived to the floor at 2-0 down raised his arm and signeld he wanted to come off, we never saw him in an Albion shirt again, he clearly did not want to be here, We actually played better after he went off and managed to draw.

2: Virtually the entire squad v Sudbury, enough said.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The José thread got me thinking about abuse from the terraces at Brighton players ( not that I heard any on Monday)

And who have you been surprised to see abused. For me that has to be Glenn Murray in his first stint here. Never got it as I have always really rated him, from the day he arrived here, and he was playing through injury for a few months.

I have to confess to being very unimpressed by Nicky Rust when he came back from injury. Looked a totally different player and I admit to shouting abuse as yet another shot winged it’s way past him and nestled in the net. The only other player I have abused from the terraces was Andy Kennedy who always held his arm up for the ball but refused to actually run for it unless it dropped to his feet.

That’s it from me although I really wasn’t a fan of Johnny Crumplin, apart from the game at Liverpool when he had John Barnes in his pocket. He always tried so hard that I couldn’t bring myself to abuse him.

I know some of you would never shout abuse at a player but I bet most of you have. Who, and why?

Wasn't he player of the year once ?

I'm sure he had a good couple of seasons.

I do remember him giving us a sign at Watford once when folk were jeering him.

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
1: Darren Bent when he dived to the floor at 2-0 down raised his arm and signeld he wanted to come off, we never saw him in an Albion shirt again, he clearly did not want to be here, We actually played better after he went off and managed to draw.

2: Virtually the entire squad v Sudbury, enough said.

Blimey, I'd forgotten that time with Bent. I think he didn't enjoy playing in inclement weather (if my memory of that days serves me well). I was furious too!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Calamity Wayne Henderson - pretty much every home match he played that I saw, plus the fateful away game at Bournemouth.

I may have abused The Hawk and there was one at The Amex who I seem to have erased from my memory for my own wellbeing.

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
I remember when I was a kid (after an abysmal first half) telling Alan Duffy he was “rubbish” while he slouched down the tunnel for the start of the second. He gave me such an evil glare that my nuts disappeared in terror. Never abused an Albion player afterwards until Teddy Maybank arrived on the scene...

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Oh yeah I'd have thought so, we moaned at players all the time at the Goldstone. It was part of the game.

I think we're a supportive lot these days, especially after Poyet told us off for moaning when he first arrived.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Remembering calling Paul Brooker all the names under the sun up at Blackpool when he jumped - as usual. - a tackle, allowing them to brake and score an injury time equaliser. Earlier he went for glory when he only had to pass to Bobby when we were 2-1 up for a tap in with only minutes left.
Skilful player but he would often frustrate me no end.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here