Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Lukaku - Retrospective Action

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
There will be no action taken against Manchester United striker Romelu Lukaku for allegedly kicking out at Brighton defender Gaetan Bong.

The alleged incident happened in United's 1-0 win on Saturday, but was not seen by referee Neil Swarbrick.

alleged/allegedly?

View attachment 91483

Yes they keep repeating this ‘alledged’ business on radio five sport which is a bit of a joke when it’s plain to see that it’s not just one but two kicks :facepalm:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The lack of transparency at the FA is worrying. There may not actually be any corruption, but ..................................

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
To be honest, although it seems a strange decision, I don't particularly care. I'm more annoyed that the incompetent buffoons officiating the match missed it and cost us a point. These things even out over the season said Murray after the ridiculous failure by the officials against Stoke. Well, if that is the case, we're now owed three points. We'll have those tomorrow please, disallow a Palace goal and give us a match winning penalty and we'll call it quits.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
To be honest, although it seems a strange decision, I don't particularly care. I'm more annoyed that the incompetent buffoons officiating the match missed it and cost us a point. These things even out over the season said Murray after the ridiculous failure by the officials against Stoke. Well, if that is the case, we're now owed three points. We'll have those tomorrow please, disallow a Palace goal and give us a match winning penalty and we'll call it quits.

Fate, Karma and all that. I agree.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
How many minutes of watching the following gif does it take for you to see that Lukaku didn't mean it and it was all just bantz?

I'm on 1037 and counting...

[tweet]935167019468644356[/tweet]

The worst thing about it is that the decision isn’t surprising at all. Big club bias is a thing.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
What a load of bollocks. Three supposed PL refs decide there was nothing wrong. Just seen the replay on Sky it was blatant assault. Big team syndrome strikes again

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I am still miffed at the way he intimidated the ref to give them a corner that never should have been ( despite what Shearer said) . That resulted in the winning goal.

Big club home pressure. .gamesmanship. .cheating :annoyed:

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
The worst thing about it is that the decision isn’t surprising at all. Big club bias is a thing.

Plus Pogba holding back Dunk, who would have got to the ball earlier, and probably no own goal

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
There's a potential broader issue at play here (and by all accounts call me a conspiracy theorist).

When the ref missed it panel (hereafter RMIP) was introduced at the start of the season, it had to be seen to be a success. Therefore the rulings on players such as Hemed vindicate the decision to set up the RMIP, and so the ban was given to great fanfare.

At present the EPL are in discussions with broadcasters in relation to a new TV deal, commencing 2019/20. Clearly they want the best price, for a competitive product. It will not help negotiations if City effectively have the league sown up by mid December, which there is a danger of happening (United's next three fixtures are Watford and Arsenal away, and City at home).

Personally I thought Lukaku stank the pitch out on Saturday, but, overall, I suspect he would be more of an asset than a liability if available for those three fixtures. There could be 'soft' pressure put on the RMIP by both the EPL and broadcasters to give Lukaku the benefit of the doubt over Saturday's act of petulance, as otherwise it increases the (already high) probability of City walking away with the league relatively early, with implications for viewing figures and the TV deal.

I'm off to the grassy knoll now, with evidence that the moon landings were fake.

I'm not gonna call you a conspiracy theorist, but you certainly sound like a fellow cynic. I find myself increasingly wondering about why stories come out, or why certain decisions – which appear baffling to many – are made and here's another example. We'll never know the truth, but with a bit of digging, I'm sure people would be able to join the dots...

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
What a load of bollocks. Three supposed PL refs decide there was nothing wrong. Just seen the replay on Sky it was blatant assault. Big team syndrome strikes again

To be fair, I read that the three were not unanimous in their decision (not sure where I saw that, one of the online papers I think). Which means it was a 2-1 split, but don't know which way. To be even fairer, the test they have to apply was 'would they have given a red card / was it a red card offence'. Even yesterday, a few posters, and another ref said it was a free kick and a booking. That is - not even all of NSC think it was a red card offence.

I agree about the consistency though - comparing Hemed and Lukaku's actions, it's pretty bad that different decisions have been reached.

More annoying is that the goal wouldn't have happened if it had been spotted at the time.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
VIOLENT CONDUCT

Violent conduct is when a player uses or attempts to use excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball, or against a team-mate, team official, match official, spectator or any other person, regardless of whether contact is made.

What part of this law of the game have these w&ankers not understood? How they can have reached their decision is scandalous.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Tweet from Jimmy the Geordie (sorry, don't know how to embed tweets in a post).

BREAKING: Jonjo Shelvey banned for 3 games after Romelu Lukaku kicks out at Gaeteng Bong. An FA spokesman defended the charge stating that "Someone deserved to be punished for this". More to follow

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Bartons stamp on Kayal.
Hemed standing on Yedlin.
Lukaku kicking Bong in the groin twice.

Three times we've been shafted, who's on that panel?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I see that Gary Lineker tweeted that MotD didn't talk about it because they didn't see it after having to watch five games before making the Saturday night show. Oh that explains everything Gary. It's not as if you had a second chance on Sunday night's MotD2 and still failed to reference it at all. The goal was re-shown, including obvious footage of the foul that should have ruled it out. Not a squeak from anyone on the programme.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Lukaku obviously annoyed he missed with his first kick and went in with another horse type kick. That isn't deemed violent conduct ?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Discussed on Radio Five Monday Night Football Club..Ian Wright not understanding what the three wise monkeys (my name for them) haven’t seen as it’s as clear as Day what the player has done

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here