Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Lukaku - Retrospective Action

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
The pass was issued and used as an independent observer and as such it stipulated that the holder must be allowed entry. The Secretary was just pulling rank according to the rules as Palace always did and just showing his strength nothing to do with me being a Brighton fan. The reason that it could have been called off is because they refused entry to an official accredited independent FA observer. Hence they found me a ticket.at about 2.30 but offered no hospitality, as was the usual procedure in such instances. . I can only tell you what the sec told me on the phone basically I have told them give you a ticket or I will instruct you to call the game off. I must admit I was surprised by his attitude.to the situation.

To be fair, I think someone's told you a load of b0110cks. Do you really think that any game would be cancelled on that basis?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
To be fair, I think someone's told you a load of b0110cks. Do you really think that any game would be cancelled on that basis?

You believe what you think I KNOW what happened. It probably wouldnt have been called off because they know the club would find a ticket to avoid that possibility and knowing Les Smith he would have pushed it to its limits as he was also a member of the FA Council,.

Last edited:

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
You believe what you think I KNOW what happened.

No, I'm asking what you think WOULD have happened - do you really think that any game would be cancelled on that basis?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
As I said in my post my pass gained me access to any game but out of politeness we always asked the club for a ticket and never encountered any problems. I could have just turned up and demanded entrance as per the pass.

Palace considered themselves above the law and never observed any rules that thought they could get away with on the pretext that they were the only league club affiliated to Surrey FA.. They even refused to send in the annual accounts as all clubs are required to do but after pressure sent in a Nil return with No Income No expenditure and a note to say they were a private company and the accounts would be submitted to Companies House. All clubs are required to enter the relevant County Cup competition for their standard but Palace refused saying they didnt have the time or the fit players. An agreement was reached, which is possibly still in place, allowing them not to take part and they agreed to play the cup winners at the winners ground in the following pre-season as a Charity competition in aid of the County Benevolent Fund. Just another example of their arrogance and disregard of lower grade football.

Wimbledon (old ones) were affiliated to London FA and were the exact opposite I was told and very obliging in all respects.

So instead of going back to your FA after they refused, couldn't you have just turned up and used your pass to get in without the need for a ticket? If so, why was there even the need of a threat to call the game off (if that really did happen) as you could still get in anyway

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No, I'm asking what you think WOULD have happened - do you really think that any game would be cancelled on that basis?

I think what happened was what was expected, Palace found me a seat after being told the option, as they were not prepared to take the chance I am also sure that if not and it could have been called off, as they were told, Les Smith would have done so.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So instead of going back to your FA after they refused, couldn't you have just turned up and used your pass to get in without the need for a ticket? If so, why was there even the need of a threat to call the game off (if that really did happen) as you could still get in anyway

It was an all ticket match and I phoned to ensure that I would get in being a Brighton supporter who had not got a ticket. All I wanted to do was get in to see the game.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
It was an all ticket match and I phoned to ensure that I would get in being a Brighton supporter who had not got a ticket. All I wanted to do was get in to see the game.

But surely you wern't "being a Brighton supporter" if you were trying to get in as an "independent county observer"?

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
Assuming that was a knock at me I do not consider myself anything other than a life long supporter who has followed the club through good times and bad during my 70 years of support.

I mentioned no names, but if you think the description fits you I can only applaud your honesty.

Also, thank you for not leaving me hanging too long.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I mentioned no names, but if you think the description fits you I can only applaud your honesty.

Also, thank you for not leaving me hanging too long.

I do not think that it bares any resemblance to me at all but the insinuation and timing of your post made it obvious who you was getting at.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I would use any ruse to get into a Brighton game that had sold out. Some of the members used to use theirs to go Chelsea Spurs or whatever team they wanted to watch.

Well, I can hardly blame you for trying it on. And you can hardly blame Palace for getting stroppy.

But I still don't believe Les Smith (County Sec) would have called it off.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
So, before you bothered to ask for a ticket, the game would have gone ahead anyway, But as soon as you asked for one and they said no, the game was suddenly in danger of being called off?

That's a bit weird, don't you think? Does that mean tomorrow's match is in danger if we can't find space for some blazer-wearing old worthy from Culver Road? And what would have happened if you'd had to leave early to catch a train, or been taken ill in the 63rd minute? Would the referee have had to abandon the game?

I get that you had a pass as an SCFA member, but I still don't understand how there was even the slightest question of calling off a match because a random official from the local County FA wasn't there at a game which there was no requirement for one to be at.

Furthermore, if you could have gained entry regardless, it would seem ludicrous that the Surrey FA would even consider calling it off at late notice simply because Palace hadn't granted you a ticket.

Please stop I’m laughing out loud here!

Does anyone actually know for a fact if BG is a) real b) being 100% serious.

I love you BG! Never change!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here