Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is the Premier League less interesting than the Championship?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Maybe the fun is all in the journey and not the destination

It was always going to be this.

The journey was incredible, the destination has been fantastic. We're at Man U tomorrow, and I'm going to see us play at WEMBLEY in 3 weeks time. I mean christ.

If you can't savour times like this...

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Loved the last few years generally being in top 6 of championship. Great to Make the Prem League but guess the expectation of winning regularly not the same.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I think it's a great question from [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]. I have been pondering this for the past few weeks, wondering why I am just not really looking forward to upcoming matches. I think the whole overblown puffed up self importance of the Premier league puts me off as does the incredible inequality of the sides. I think we did very well in our opener with Man City but I just wasn't bothered to lose as the expectation wasn't there to win. Don't get me wrong, I am very happy to be where we are in the league at present but I cannot find much enthusiasm as my dislike of the league seems to colour everything. I think the championship is much better in terms of entertainment.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
The PL seems to be more stressful.We know that we have to play a certain way to give ourselves the best chance of winning games at this level.With that comes a less attractive style of football where we seem reluctant to play our natural game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
For me the journey still has a way to go:

1. Survival.
2. Our highest ever top flight finish.
3. Top half finish.
4. Most seasons in the top flight
5. A senior England international produced from our ranks.

The journey means making this period the most successful in the club's history. If, come May 2022, we've spent five seasons in the Prem, finished 10th or higher and watched Dunk and / or March play for England then we would have either matched or achieved things the club had never achieved before.

If we do that then - yes - I'll feel the journey will have ended.

I agree but would love to have a Euro cup run of some sort too. Inter at the Amex.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
The journey was incredible, the destination has been fantastic. We're at Man U tomorrow, and I'm going to see us play at WEMBLEY in 3 weeks time. I mean christ.

If you can't savour times like this...

Although you are playing at Wembley you cannot really say you are PLAYING at Wembley as that would really mean for a reason other than a team hiring the ground for a season

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Although you are playing at Wembley you cannot really say you are PLAYING at Wembley as that would really mean for a reason other than a team hiring the ground for a season

:shrug:

PLAYING or playing, it has to be better than last time I was there getting ****** by a ginger and my childhood ruined.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Just because I'm expecting to lose, I have no expectation.
Being in the top couple of teams on the Championship was more fun for me, but that's not financially possible every year, so you need to get promoted to balance the books. Also, failing to be promoted is then disappointing, so being in the PL is the result. And longer term I'd hope we stay up and build our squad so that relegation isn't as big a concern and results away at places like OT become more achievable.

I realise that's not how you all feel, but that's where I am.

Ditto.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I'm living this season but if we do establish ourselves I wonder if the novelty will wear off a few seasons down the line. Trying to fight off relegation and trying not to get humiliated by the top clubs and spending money to stand still.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
In essence yes.

We have six teams who can’t be caught. They play in Premier League A. You then have 14 others with various levels of orgniasation, average ness, foreign players we haven’t really heard of, and the odd jewel who all play in Premier League B. These good ones will soon want to join a Premier League A team as well. Hence B club can never become A club unless there is a once in a lifetime set of events in Leicestershire.

Whereas in the championship a crap team can make the play offs. Anyone can beat anyone.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Been to Old Trafford three times and we have lost one nil each time - would settle for that again so our confidence is not shattered before Tuesday.

I remember feeling short changed when Giggs did not play at the Goldstone in the League Cup and the unknown Beckham played instead. Pity Giggs played in the FA Cup match. I hope the game is not a boring as the FA Cup match.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Firstly, that thread title isn't click-baity nonsense, but I have the perception that a lot less pre-match chatter has been happening ahead of games this season than last.

Or is my perception wrong?

Speaking for myself, this is true. Not that I talk to myself, but this year I spend far less time thinking about the Albion between games. Being able to access games and highlights on all the major networks has lead to a slight feeling of disconnect outside of the Amex. Before I would often tune in to JC and WA for games I wasn't at. Now it's live games and highlights on MOTD, with very little Brighton related stuff.

Or maybe I'm just getting older.

Hope we have a good cup run.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Great things about PL
As an ExPat in Abu Dhabi, I get to watch every match.
Colleagues and friends who support teams like Leeds and Massive are very jealous but are happy to see a championship team doing reasonably well as it gives them hope if they ever get promoted.
We have started well and have not been embarrassed.
We are playing teams Like Man U, Liverpool and Arsenal, this is the dream.
This team, TB &CH deserve it and so do the fans.
The football is so much better.
Every point earnt is more important, invariably over the last season draws always felt like points dropped not this season.
The attention the club gets worldwide is valuable to the club.
I am enjoying every moment of this adventure and I hope we establish ourselves in the same way as Leicester, Watford or Southampton. Stoke City is not the only model. There are exciting teams outside the top Six.
Relegation would be very risky and very hard to recover from and as people going back is never the same and relegation would be hard to stomach. To hear people saying it might be good for Sunderland to get relegated to L1 so they can rebuild is in my opinion is insane!

Sea Eagle

Jun 23, 2011
Loving this season. Here is Australia we are able to watch all the games live or on demand with the sky sports or BT coverage. I’ve seen all the games (home and away) and been really impressed.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
When climbing to the top you are always more motivated and when you reach the peak it is all a bit of an anticlimax but honestly Im loving this season more than I expected. I still keep a keen eye on the championship but as long as we dont get stuck in the relegation mire Im all smiles and really enjoy watching the live games of our so-called relegation contenders. Quite honestly I do think we 're better than WHU, Palarse and Swansea at the mo.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Firstly, that thread title isn't click-baity nonsense, but I have the perception that a lot less pre-match chatter has been happening ahead of games this season than last.

We're playing Manchester United at Old Trafford tomorrow for the first time in the league since 1983, yet there seems relatively little to say about it.

Or is my perception wrong?

We are very unlikely to get anything from the game, what is there to say?

Will we lose 2 or 3 nil?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I must admit, I'm not looking forward to the game in the way I had expected to before the season started. It's just another game isn't it? Well, maybe it is a bit more special going to a top 6 team, but not that much more. Ultimately, it's just too predictable. Man Utd are a best priced 1/5 for a win. The draw is around 7/1 and the bookies think we have no chance. Overall, I think I will agree with whoever said they "hope" we get away with a 1-0 defeat. I'd guess it's that sort of scenario that has led to a lack of discussion.

This for me. An 80% chance of a united victory today means there isn't much to discuss. It's not a cup game but it's the same kind of mentality - A day out and no point kicking the cat if we lose as we all expect it.

The interest comes from playing the other 13 teams. Compared to the Championship, that's 26 games that matter instead of 46 which kind of explains why it feels so slow.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
The media does only seem to have 3 PL stories
- Big team doing well; hyperventilation about the value and quality of squads and individual players which reaches a crescendo if 2 of these sides meet.
- Big team does not do well; speculation about manager's future which increases in hysteria in proportion to the size of club and risk of relegation
- Small team has the impertinence to do well; warm and cuddly human interest story about fans or ageing player. If young player does well then it becomes speculation about them joining big team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here