Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is the Premier League less interesting than the Championship?

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Championship is much better for me. Far more competitive, game seems to come quickly making it relentless, the odd quirky ground to go to, som “big” clubs falling on their face, chance to go up and threat of going down, far less USA razzmatazz. BUT loving being in the EPL

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Yes it's bloody dull and if we wasn't in it I'd hardly know what the scores were due to lack of interest.For entertainment I'd give the PL a big fat 2 compared to 8 in the championship.

Awful division and it's been ruined just like in Spain :)

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
We're playing a League game at Old Trafford, and you're not interested ?

I dunno what the point of getting promoted is if you can't look forward to occasions like this.
Being a Brighton fan Manchester United has no relevance to me and the only real reason is the money for mr bloom....sad but true :(

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For me the problem with the going back to the Championship will be the lack of exposure.
I do enjoy the little vignettes that appear here, almost daily, from around the planet, as well as the increased media coverage here.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Really cannot understand the love for the Championship. It is simply an inferior version of the PL: by and large the richer big teams do better than the poorer small teams, it's just that the standard is worse. I guess a lot of Brighton fans have been so used to watching 2nd, 3rd, 4th rate football that they're struggling with the culture change.

I never want to go back down, although I accept we will at some stage.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm finding each game an event in its own right in the PL, the Championship felt more like with the amount of games, you were always thinking about the next one, whether we were struggling, playoffs or going for the top spots, there was a grinding accumulation of games and points.

PL, each point is like a little jewel of hope and joy, each game has a cup tie like feel, partly helped by the gaps we've had in-between. Very different, very exciting at present.
Good points. I know some Brighton fans liked the endless grind, the constant, relentless flow of league games (I guess that's why some prefer the Championship), but I never did. I like that fact there's less and each one is 'special'.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
While the Championship is more competitive, the fact is that everyone in it wants to be where we are, and they'd swap places with us in a heartbeat to be playing at Old Trafford today rather than St Andrews or Carrow Road.

If you support a club, you want them to win as many matches as possible and therefore play at as high a level as possible. And every point we get is harder to come by, and worth more. And if we lose today, even the margin of defeat may matter in terms of goal difference at the end of the season.

Of course, the top six is a closed shop, occupied only by the elite mega-rich clubs owned by the fabulously wealthy or even by entire countries. Or is it? Two words: Leicester City.

As Chris Hughton said the other day, this is why we got promoted. I'm sure we'll be back in the Championship one day, but until then let's enjoy having a go at the Premier League.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Without a shadow of a doubt especially this season with Citeh already champions in my eyes and the bottom three stuck in a real rut. If it wasn't for us I wouldn't bother watching some of the neutral matches.

The Championship has been unpredictable, high-scoring and entertaining as usual. Sheffield United have been a revelation.

However, I wouldn't swap us being back in the Championship as I think we can become an established Premier League side.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I think there's less to talk about because:

1) There's less games. The first dozen games have taken an eternity. In the lower leagues the games come thick and fast so post match analysis of oine game quickly bleeds into pre game analysis of the next.

2) The nature of the league and how we're doing in it. We know we're not going to get too much higher than we currently are so there's not that incentive to excite us. Plus we're doing better than I imagine 90% of us thought we would. I thought we would be in a relegation battle from day one but so far we've been comfortable. Once/if we lose a few on the spin and fall down the table there'll be a lot more discussion as all the naysayers and negative nancies will be out in force.

I'm enjoying all the extra coverage we've been getting and am loving the fact that I can watch every game live or at worst as a full match replay. These are things the championship rarely offers.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
When climbing to the top you are always more motivated and when you reach the peak it is all a bit of an anticlimax but honestly Im loving this season more than I expected. I still keep a keen eye on the championship but as long as we dont get stuck in the relegation mire Im all smiles and really enjoy watching the live games of our so-called relegation contenders. Quite honestly I do think we 're better than WHU, Palarse and Swansea at the mo.

When we lost the Cup Final my Dad said it was probably a good thing - because if we had won, what else would we have to aim for.....

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
While the Championship is more competitive, the fact is that everyone in it wants to be where we are, and they'd swap places with us in a heartbeat to be playing at Old Trafford today rather than St Andrews or Carrow Road.

If you support a club, you want them to win as many matches as possible and therefore play at as high a level as possible. And every point we get is harder to come by, and worth more. And if we lose today, even the margin of defeat may matter in terms of goal difference at the end of the season.

Of course, the top six is a closed shop, occupied only by the elite mega-rich clubs owned by the fabulously wealthy or even by entire countries. Or is it? Two words: Leicester City.

As Chris Hughton said the other day, this is why we got promoted. I'm sure we'll be back in the Championship one day, but until then let's enjoy having a go at the Premier League.

I dont agree at all. We are bottom which is not good however the away trips this year are great. Brentford over the Emirates every day of the week

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hmm. Everton, Southampton and Stoke were certainly not 'special'. I enjoyed our performances in those games but those teams were negative and boring.

Are you suggesting teams in the Championship were never negative and boring when playing at the AMEX?

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
I'd suggest the fans who are less interested in the Premier League feel that way because there's no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow once safety looks realistic for a lot of teams.

It's feasible that any one of about 6 teams could win the league in any given season. Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd, Spurs could all win the league if form, injury and luck go their way. This season Man City look odds on for the league, but there's been seasons in recent memory that've gone to goal difference on the final day.

Were Brighton challenging for European spots come the end of the season, I doubt you'd find it boring. But what's most likely is that your team (and mine) will not compete for anything more exciting than "finishing top half" for some time.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
For me personally the first two seasons in the premier were ok but the last 2 and a third have been a chore, give me Brentford away to most if not all the top sides.

My football mojo has been beaten out of me not just palace all football at pro standard, never watch football now unless palace are playing and that's not enjoyable !!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No, of course not. Just that there isn't anything particularly special about most premier league teams.

That is true, although personally I'm in the process of doing a full 180, from my original position of 'the bottom 10 in the Premier League aren't really any better than the top 10 in the Championship'.

Those recent draws were fookin hard points won, (or lost in Everton's case) by the very best Albion team ever assembled.

When those of the 2/3rds of Championship clubs who rocked up with the sole intention of leaving with a point, and got it, more often than not it was because of the Albion's failings.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
My football mojo has been beaten out of me not just palace all football at pro standard, never watch football now unless palace are playing and that's not enjoyable !!!

Without wishing to state the obvious, that's hardly surprising.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
'uddersfield. Oh hang on a sec....:wink:

Their performance at the Amex last season, considering they were unbeaten at the time having just won at St James' Park and we'd lost two in a row, was pathetic. Absolutely pathetic. We've seen some "safety first" performances at the Amex, understandably so, but they were awful. And it was horribly cold that night too!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here