Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Why don't women do HD

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
Without a doubt this is a thing. The game changer for me about five years ago was getting the new Virgin HD box in time for Wimbledon and being quite AGOG that the net wasn’t a homogenous piece of black cloth. Unreal detail.

Suddenly made the women’s matches much more palatable too. [emoji102]

I’ve thought this for a while now, especially Sky Sports. Cricket balls are basically single cuboid pixels in SD now and seem to skip across the green background slower than on a CPC6128 hooked up to an old GRUNDIG 14 incher.

Yes, like watching the Ashes highlights with the free BT Sports App, grrr!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'm ok with SD. Unless I'm watching football or a water based scene, I can't see enough difference to worry.

Was watching Blue Planet II the other night. Some of the HD scenes were so stunning they actually looked artificial.

What I find mildly annoying is when you watch the BBC national news in HD then at the end when they switch to the regional news you get 15 minutes of a red screen of death with a message 'HD is not yet available in your region'. Nor any other region presumably.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I think I have an HD TV. I honestly don't know. I just watch it. Actually, I don't watch it often. My laptop is HD. I think.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm intrigued.

As well as the missus I have two daughters. They will just slap a programme on and when I walk in I ask why they aren't watching in HD when to me it looks like a sack of shit. They just shrug and carry on.

The mother in law is the same, new 48 inch super duper TV and just watches everything in SD. I pop around my mums and its the same...not watching HD and moans that if affects the volume if she changes to HD. Pop around my sisters and the same.

Yet any bloke I know with full control of the zapper is watching in HD / 4K whatever.....

Obscure thread I know.

Mrs T says 'bollocks - HD every time for me'.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
Was watching Blue Planet II the other night. Some of the HD scenes were so stunning they actually looked artificial.

What I find mildly annoying is when you watch the BBC national news in HD then at the end when they switch to the regional news you get 15 minutes of a red screen of death with a message 'HD is not yet available in your region'. Nor any other region presumably.

I watch news in SD and so I don't get that annoying message. It nice we all get a choice.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
My sister gave me some old programmes for my birthday. There was one from 1982 (Wolves, 4 May if you really want to know) that contained an advert by Rediffusion for a telly that had 'Quick warm up time.....less than 10 seconds'. Along with the "Latest 110 degree precision in-line self-converging picture tube". How would NSC have dealt with that??

Ceej

Feb 1, 2013
Manchester
Dishwasher loading routine for best wash and drain results is also a "thing". All part of life's rich tapestry :lolol:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
My Wife records the omnibus edition of Coronation Street on a Saturday morning. It has a bloke in the corner doing sign language. When I asked her if it interfered with the viewing she said no, but did wonder why it was there.
I have to watch BBC1 Breakfast in SD as the HD version doesn't have local news (Sky version).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I can get HD channels. I doubt if either of my elderly TV sets are actually showing the programmes in HD though. Anyway, even if they are, I can't see the difference - and I don't give a sh*t!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I'm intrigued.

As well as the missus I have two daughters. They will just slap a programme on and when I walk in I ask why they aren't watching in HD when to me it looks like a sack of shit. They just shrug and carry on.

The mother in law is the same, new 48 inch super duper TV and just watches everything in SD. I pop around my mums and its the same...not watching HD and moans that if affects the volume if she changes to HD. Pop around my sisters and the same.

Yet any bloke I know with full control of the zapper is watching in HD / 4K whatever.....

Obscure thread I know.

Too true.
Its the same with the content as well.
Why are you watching that crap(Eastenders) when football is on?

swd40

Mar 22, 2006
I remember when I first got a HD Sky box, with my super-duper new HDTV. First thing I watched was an evening match between Aston Villa and somebody-or-other, and it was SNOWING. I watched it utterly AGOG, and just kept saying to her "look at the snowflakes...look at the grass...look at the faces in the crowd!!", as she just sat there and rolled her eyes. It was an Ashes year as well. I just had a perma-hard-on, and it wasn't even Babestation.

Does anyone else think that they actually broadcast SD in SLIGHTLY worse definition these days, just to make HD look so much better...or has SD just always been shit ?

In the same way olde Gillette razors are not as good/sharp as they used to be, compared to the newer (same manufacturer) "improved" models on offer.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
If I might humbly add a contribution to this festival of mild sexism, how about not moving the mouse pointer away from the bottom of the screen so that you can still see the border/controls and it doesn't go full screen? That's annoying.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I'm intrigued.

Obscure thread I know.

I don't find there is a great difference between HD and SD except for sport.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here