Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Why don't women do HD

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
This is a totally weird thread, I clicked on because I didn't know what HD was and thought it may be some obscure sexual practice that I'd never heard of, instead it's a group of nerds discussing television sets.

In the 70s and 80s, I knew a lot of hi-fi geeks,who turned earnestly about woofers and tweeters, this is like dropping in one of their conversations. :lolol:

yeah, I thought it meant something else too

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Not all channels have an HD version.

So why get used to watching in HD, when you can't get for all channels in HD? Or do men not notice the difference when they have no choice but to watch in SD?

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]

*Breathe*

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

wot's so funny!?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I have an issue with the sound in HD, have to really ramp it up to hear anything, I assume due to increased data being sent. That is OK, then when the ads come on the sound blares out of the TV. They need to work out how to either improve the sound of HD shows or ensure that the sound is consistent.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This is a totally weird thread, I clicked on because I didn't know what HD was and thought it may be some obscure sexual practice that I'd never heard of, instead it's a group of nerds discussing television sets.

In the 70s and 80s, I knew a lot of hi-fi geeks,who turned earnestly about woofers and tweeters, this is like dropping in one of their conversations. :lolol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXDK3x5lAYI

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
but seriously on the Hifi front I'm a bit of a nerd and have got quite a good little set up where every aspect is important down to the granite plinths the speakers sit on and the cables (oh god the cables) Mrs Casper can not hear the difference between any of it. I have forced her to listen when I changed the speakers, or the amp etc and she says they all sound the same. its infuriating - they blooming don't. The difference between the Chord Clearway and the Chord Odyssey 2 speaker cables is mind blowing and worth the extra £17 a meter OTHERWISE THEY WOULDNT SELL THEM (or people wouldnt buy them).

She cant hear the difference in two set ups but can hear my grumbling under my breath in another room...............

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Women don't do HD because the men we live with look scary! Or maybe it's because there are more important things in life than TV.

But if you have both and are paying for both why would you not watch the higher quality one?

boik

but seriously on the Hifi front I'm a bit of a nerd and have got quite a good little set up where every aspect is important down to the granite plinths the speakers sit on and the cables (oh god the cables) Mrs Casper can not hear the difference between any of it. I have forced her to listen when I changed the speakers, or the amp etc and she says they all sound the same. its infuriating - they blooming don't. The difference between the Chord Clearway and the Chord Odyssey 2 speaker cables is mind blowing and worth the extra £17 a meter OTHERWISE THEY WOULDNT SELL THEM (or people wouldnt buy them).

She cant hear the difference in two set ups but can hear my grumbling under my breath in another room...............

You think people only pay extra for something that is actually better. You must be a salesmans/persons dream!!

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
You think people only pay extra for something that is actually better. You must be a salesmans/persons dream!!

The annoying thing with these cables are they look almost exactly the same, in fact the more expensive are slightly thinner. they are both white plain cables. for the extra money I would prefer if the Odyssey were green or something or had a stripe or anything to convince the wife that spending £200-£300 on wires is a good idea as she cant tell the difference.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
We bought our HDTV just before the London Olympics, me and Mrs Orange spent some time switching between the SD and HD versions of the swimming just to properly appreciate how clear those slow motion replays of water being splashed about were in HD. Mrs Orange was properly sold on HD at that point.

:thumbsup:

I had actively refused to by an HDTV until it had an HD Freeview tuner built in because I knew from visits to Comet how bad SD broadcasts looked on LED TVs at that point compared to my CRT telly.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Our TV puts up a message to tell us if we’ve stupidly selected an SD channel when there’s an HD one available. It changes to the HD channel if you press the OK button on the remote.

It’s always me that picks the remote up again to press OK.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Mrs Q always likes the new tv’s etc when they come out and when we had our all new singing and dancing HD tv put in - with 3D of course, because that’s going to completely take over next - she told me how much better it was and the picture was incredible. I told her there was no difference and even flicked between the old and the new HD transmissions to show her. “You’re blind”, she said.

After 6 days I sussed out how to actually get the HD pictures on. She didn’t want to talk about it.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
OK as a women I will give you my opinion on this subject

In our house we have Sky HD. I choose the HD channel when I watch films, sport and any sort of drama or documentary. For other programs like the news I don't bother. Having the news in HD would properly make it more depressing and the BBC do not show local news in HD so you get that annoying screen saver thing or change channel.

If I think there is nothing worth watching on the TV then I normally have it switched off and listen to music. I like Super Audio CD's or I am quite fond of Vinyl LP. I hate thin sounding music. My 86 year old mum who uses a magnifying glass with her glasses to read and a hearing aid does not give a flying duck if it is in HD vision or sound, large sub titles are a must. I can understand that.

I am unusual I work as a network engineer so I am naturally interested in technology. Most women I know could not careless, they are not stupid just not interested. I can equate this to my daughter who cycles at a high level. When she gets a new bike, she is interested in the fact it is light, fast, fits and works well. The boys she rides with are interested in the components she has on her bike, when they try to talk to her about it she glazes over. If they are trying to impress her it's not the way to do it :)

I just think these things are more important to men then women.

boik

The annoying thing with these cables are they look almost exactly the same, in fact the more expensive are slightly thinner. they are both white plain cables. for the extra money I would prefer if the Odyssey were green or something or had a stripe or anything to convince the wife that spending £200-£300 on wires is a good idea as she cant tell the difference.

There's being able to tell the difference, and then there's enjoying the music. The sound at most gigs is a million miles from perfect, but the enjoyment factor is way higher. Maybe you're approaching things from the wrong direction? I'm glad I got off that treadmill. Still it's your money I guess.

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
OK as a women I will give you my opinion on this subject

In our house we have Sky HD. I choose the HD channel when I watch films, sport and any sort of drama or documentary. For other programs like the news I don't bother. Having the news in HD would properly make it more depressing and the BBC do not show local news in HD so you get that annoying screen saver thing or change channel.

If I think there is nothing worth watching on the TV then I normally have it switched off and listen to music. I like Super Audio CD's or I am quite fond of Vinyl LP. I hate thin sounding music. My 86 year old mum who uses a magnifying glass with her glasses to read and a hearing aid does not give a flying duck if it is in HD vision or sound, large sub titles are a must. I can understand that.

I am unusual I work as a network engineer so I am naturally interested in technology. Most women I know could not careless, they are not stupid just not interested. I can equate this to my daughter who cycles at a high level. When she gets a new bike, she is interested in the fact it is light, fast, fits and works well. The boys she rides with are interested in the components she has on her bike, when they try to talk to her about it she glazes over. If they are trying to impress her it's not the way to do it :)

I just think these things are more important to men then women.

I think it just depends whether you’re technically minded or not. That may be divided along gender lines but not necessarily. I’m a man and couldn’t care less about the technical specs of my telly (or my bike), HD or otherwise, as long as it works :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I think it just depends whether you’re technically minded or not. That may be divided along gender lines but not necessarily. I’m a man and couldn’t care less about the technical specs of my telly (or my bike), HD or otherwise, as long as it works :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly! I know some incredibly technically gifted women and I obviously know more technically gifted men. I am the only female in a team of six. It just comes down to what people are interested in and does not mean a man has to be interested in technology, or a woman is incapable of understanding it, just on the average men are more interested in technology then women.

SpongebobSquarepants

Jun 16, 2006
Sunny Worthing
Just asked 3 women at work , who all replied they could not give a monkeys if in HD as they can't tell the difference.
I'm not especially interested in technology, but I can see a massive difference in picture quality.

Is it all to do with brain-wiring?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here