Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Quarterly tax returns for self employed

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
It's a stupid idea. It'll either result in an unnecessary increase in accountancy fees or people will try to do it without professional help and probably get it wrong.

You probably haven't heard much from your accountant, because they don't know exactly what's going to happen thanks to a lack of clarity from HMRC. The really stupid thing is that you still pay tax annually and there aren't any penalties for submitting incorrect information in the interim submissions, as long as it's correct at the year end. So I can't really see the benefit of it.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
In theory but not in practise is my reckoning ..how to deal with capital allowances etc ..feck that I as good as work six days a week for nine months of the year and struggle to get my head round stuff like that

Capital allowances and other such accounting adjustments will be dealt with on the final adjusting return.

For anybody who files VAT online it won't actually make much difference if you use your software to file the return. All that will happen is the amount of information transmitted to HMRC each quarter will go up.

The only people getting rich will be Sage, QB, Xero etc as everybody will be forced to purchase their products annually

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
My accountant does all mine as it's a bit complicated. Business partnership with my brother for a pub, and I have my own Retail/Courier business. Are we likely to see a big increase in fees, or will it just be the same work spread throughout the year ? Any accountants on here ?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Capital allowances and other such accounting adjustments will be dealt with on the final adjusting return.

For anybody who files VAT online it won't actually make much difference if you use your software to file the return. All that will happen is the amount of information transmitted to HMRC each quarter will go up.

The only people getting rich will be Sage, QB, Xero etc as everybody will be forced to purchase their products annually

Thanks for reply

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'll let my dad know

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

There’s a lot to be clarified ..so best he chat with his accountant i’m just throwing a few things out there..and it’s not happening for another 16 months for the likes of you and me ..but i’d like to be prepared

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
There’s a lot to be clarified ..so best he chat with his accountant i’m just throwing a few things out there..and it’s not happening for another 16 months for the likes of you and me ..but i’d like to be prepared
Just more pen pushers making things up whilst the rest of us are out working!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
You mean the ''Flat Rate'' ?

If so why are you still on it ? Very few Benefits to it now.

Read his other post above. He does very, very nicely out of it.

Wish I could say the same, but there are absolutely no benefits (bar convenience) to me now as effectively I pass on full rate, but cant reclaim any of my input VAT. In fact I lose out of it!!

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Read his other post above. He does very, very nicely out of it.

Wish I could say the same, but there are absolutely no benefits (bar convenience) to me now as effectively I pass on full rate, but cant reclaim any of my input VAT. In fact I lose out of it!!
Better maybe to ditch the flat rate scheme and account for VAT normally then? Worth looking into anyway if you actually have to still be VAT registered (turnover above the threshold).

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Better maybe to ditch the flat rate scheme and account for VAT normally then? Worth looking into anyway if you actually have to still be VAT registered (turnover above the threshold).

You are absolutely right and its only the ballache of accounting for everything that is stopping me. That said I need to do it for my annual accounts/returns so would be good discipline. Would prefer to deregister but I cant.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

HMRC will be providing free software to enable quarterly MTD returns to be made online.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I see this has been delayed until 2019 for those with a turnover of less than £85k (starts April 2018 if above)...,has anyone had a chat with their accountant about how this is all going to work out...higher fee starters?...another problem I foresee for my self is seasonal working ..then there is paying tax on work not paid for (cash flow) etc
Can’t see I’ve seen much debate about it and yet there must be loads of us self employed peeps who are wondering how the heck it’s going to work

I didn't know about this before now, but surely declared income is actual received money not invoiced but not paid yet?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Corbyn and McDonnell will reign under this new self employed tax regime.

Would you object to paying tax then?
Course not!

He seems to think that the tories keep all the tax paid for themselves and don't spend it on all sorts of public services.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I didn't know about this before now, but surely declared income is actual received money not invoiced but not paid yet?

I don't know..just speculating really....its just the lack of info ....also someone else posted that you would still pay tax once a year..not sure how they know that...for someone like me its another 16 months before it takes effect...i'll be having a chat with the accountant sometime or other.
The fact that its been delayed a year would suggest there are a few issues to be resolved

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

That's cash accounting.

Accounts and tax returns are normally based on the accruals principle, that is the value of work done or goods despatched in a period = turnover/income.

The date sales invoices are issued or monies received, isn't the determinant of business income.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
That's cash accounting.

Accounts and tax returns are normally based on the accruals principle, that is the value of work done or goods despatched in a period = turnover/income.

The date sales invoices are issued or monies received, isn't the determinant of business income.

I have no idea what that means as I was a self employed driving instructor so clearly was a cash based business. I bow to your expert knowledge:)

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
That's cash accounting.

Spot on

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Course not!

He seems to think that the tories keep all the tax paid for themselves and don't spend it on all sorts of public services.

It's not to them. 95% of it is spent on all the obvious things - NHS, social support, education, transport, defence, etc. 5% of it is spent on interest servicing the £1.8t.

That £800b of annual spending is paid for by £740b of tax/rates income and £60b of extra state borrowing per annum.

Labour would most certainly not lower taxes, in fact they would target companies, higher earners and those with property wealth. They would increase state borrowing too, to increase state spending.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here