Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Poyet on Poogate

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The reaction to what occurred during and after that match amazes me even now. When people (on our side) think of the game, what do they remember?

Clackers, and Poogate, that’s what.

We lost that game because we played dismally in the second half, after appearing the better side for the first half and much of the first leg. The Albion came out for the second half at the Amex and were clueless and rudderless. Under any normal circumstances, fans would be questioning what on earth the manager had said to his team at half time, querying both his tactical acumen and his motivational skills. Instead, we still talk fearfullyof clackers like they actually had some physical impact upon events, and of somebody with a stomach upset not quite making it to the toilet.

It was Poyet who raised both issues after the game, albeit in an internal email, but I wouldn’t mind betting it was him- or his people- who leaked it (the email, not the, er, other) to the media. Either way, it was an episode of blame-dodging that Harry Redknapp would be proud of, and to this day, I can’t understand how Poyet STILL seems to avoid being held responsible for the on-field performance.

I don’t particularly want to have clackers at the Amex, but they were considerably less culpable for that defeat than our manager on the night.

It’s really time to see Poyet’s outburst for what it transparently was, folks, a bloody enormous smoke-screen to disguise his own ineptitude when it came to the crunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top post.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I remember Barnes hitting the bar and Ward clearing off the line, then Bolasie putting in a good cross for Zaha.

I remember Calde being targetted as a weak link, getting a yellow card, so they could swap Zaha over to that side to run freely.
Yes, Barnes was very unlucky.

These threads always go the same way, those that disliked Poyet (some from the very start) use it as an excuse to stick the knife in yet again.

Let it go.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
Given what was at stake and the opposition, I would say it was our worst ever loss.

Sudbury, Kingstonian, and the 5-0 at Palace were embarrassing. That play-off defeat to our arch rivals in front of a packed Amex and live TV was truly gutting in terms of what the defeat meant at the time.

Exactly this. I still feel sick in the stomach thinking about that match now. Sudbury, Gillingham, Palace 5-0 et al (and I can vouch that Yes Chef was at most of these matches and others that were mentioned) were all terrible experiences, but we can kinda laugh them off a bit now.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Now, I think Poyet handles himself abysmally on his exit from the club. Shockingly sour post match interview, that b******s about being sacked on air etc, but I think in hindsight he did have a point about the ceiling.

The recruitment structure was in the process of moving to the awful model that hamstrung both Oscar and Hyypia, and had we persisted with that catastrophe under David Burke, we'd likely be in League One now. We've learned hugely from giving a manager complete control (under Poyet) to limited recruitment-led control (under Garcia & Hyypia) and have now settled on a much more successful and balanced approach. At that point, I can imagine why any manager would react to having transfer control taken over and budgets shrunk.

That said, he still reacted as a proper bell though.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I never understood why people used to have such a problem with Gus having a big ego. Almost all successful managers do, it's part of what makes them successful. Ferguson / Clough / Mourinho etc., are they all lovely, down-to earth characters? It's just lucky that we've somehow managed to find one of the few in the game that doesn't now, which seems to be much more acceptable to genteel Sussex folk.

Poyet was arguably the most influential manager we ever had. He changed everything. It's a shame he buggered that Palace game up, and that his ambition didn't allow him to be a bit more patient, because he'd be a stable Premier League manager by now if he had. That said, I still think his 'ceiling' comments were absolutely correct, under the structure we had in place at the club in those days. I don't see how anybody can argue that. Imagine the players we'd have been able to sign with him in charge with the current the current recruitment setup. We'd have been in the Premier League years ago. But that is one of the best things about the Albion these days- we tend to learn from our mistakes. It's taken 116 years, but we got there in the end.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Sadly once GP started to believe he was a messiah his career was only ever going to go one way with regards to the game in question I sat close to him on the night he sat arms folded and appeared to take a totally none active role

Yoda

English & European
It’s really time to see Poyet’s outburst for what it transparently was, folks, a bloody enormous smoke-screen to disguise his own ineptitude when it came to the crunch.
Highlighted by the fact he left a fully fit Vicente out of the match day squad. He really could've been the key in the second leg after missing the first with a slight niggle.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I never understood why people used to have such a problem with Gus having a big ego. Almost all successful managers do, it's part of what makes them successful..

“If I knew, I would get the person because that incident has affected my career.

There is ego and there is blaming the downward spiral of his career on a bus driver having a dump in a changing room.

What difference would it have made to his awful showing at Sunderland (30% win ratio), AEK (had a massive falling out with chairman), Betis (27% win ratio), Shanghai (32% win ratio - with the highest earning player on the planet!).

He needs to be able to take some of the blame on himself on the odd occasion and not have a go at the fans, the board, the players and anyone else that deflects from his short comings.

He was a great manager here, but like Smug Eddie et al, once they leave the small pond they get quickly found out.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Nevermind. I'm sure he'll charm his way into a club like MASSIVE soon.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
“If I knew, I would get the person because that incident has affected my career.

There is ego and there is blaming the downward spiral of his career on a bus driver having a dump in a changing room.

What difference would it have made to his awful showing at Sunderland (30% win ratio), AEK (had a massive falling out with chairman), Betis (27% win ratio), Shanghai (32% win ratio - with the highest earning player on the planet!).

He needs to be able to take some of the blame on himself on the odd occasion and not have a go at the fans, the board, the players and anyone else that deflects from his short comings.

He was a great manager here, but like Smug Eddie et al, once they leave the small pond they get quickly found out.

Fair point. Although he didn't do a bad job at Sunderland, he kept them up, got them to Wembley and beat Newcastle 3 times. I bet they'd bite your hand off for that now.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Yes Gus, that's what ruined your career, not the pissy tantrum straight after what was conceivably our worst ever loss.

it does say that does it, it says it affected his career. i'd should say so, it fired them up and they won. it exposed his tactical and motivational deficiencies, as he couldn't respond.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Do we actually know the identity of the shitty coach driver? If someone does, might as well let Gus know if he is going to go and give the ******* a right kicking

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Is this still being talked about?!

Couldn't care less about that incident. What I did care about at the time was his appalling post match interview. I love Gus for what he did for us but that interview, when we were all as low as football fans could be, was unforgivable.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Given what was at stake and the opposition, I would say it was our worst ever loss.

Sudbury, Kingstonian, and the 5-0 at Palace were embarrassing. That play-off defeat to our arch rivals in front of a packed Amex and live TV was truly gutting in terms of what the defeat meant at the time.

Sorry I don't buy that. They were better than us on the night and to be honest apart from the first 20 minutes of the first game, we were never in that game. Personally I thought the worst result for sheer embarrassment was the Sudbury game at the Goldstone where there was hardly anyone in the ground, we were at the end of our tether, playing some horrible football, it was cold, wet , miserable and we lost 4-3 on penalties and for those of us left in the ground the atmosphere was toxic........I very nearly came close to giving up on the Albion that night as I know many had done already that season.

At least with the play off game, we had a decent season leading up to it and we were a good side whose time would come.....the last days of the Goldstone was another dimension totally.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Poyet's ego was over-indulged at the Albion. Had him marked down as a bellend earlydoors, from the EXACT moment where we got the first penalty at Withdean under his jurisdiction. First-time manager, supposed to be learning his trade, prefers to turn his back on the field of play, in favour of mugging it up to the South Stand. Cock. OK, he taught the likes of T.Elphick and Adam El-Abd to at least try and play the ball on the ground instead of their previous decade of clear yer lines HOOF! but that's more down to the lack of any kind of homegrown coaching talent rather than any kind of unique vision on the part of Poyet.. Was never overly impressed by the Poyet-era 20 sideways passes to reach he halfway line just to get the official possession stats up, to very little effect, even though many needy sadsacks mistook that lame thing for Total Albion Football. Made a few decent signings, but equally let a few decent players go.In the end, Bloom did far more for Poyet than Poyet did for Bloom. IMHO, like.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
Poyet's ego was over-indulged at the Albion. Had him marked down as a bellend earlydoors, from the EXACT moment where we got the first penalty at Withdean under his jurisdiction. First-time manager, supposed to be learning his trade, prefers to turn his back on the field of play, in favour of mugging it up to the South Stand. Cock. OK, he taught the likes of T.Elphick and Adam El-Abd to at least try and play the ball on the ground instead of their previous decade of clear yer lines HOOF! but that's more down to the lack of any kind of homegrown coaching talent rather than any kind of unique vision on the part of Poyet.. Was never overly impressed by the Poyet-era 20 sideways passes to reach he halfway line just to get the official possession stats up, to very little effect, even though many needy sadsacks mistook that lame thing for Total Albion Football. Made a few decent signings, but equally let a few decent players go.In the end, Bloom did far more for Poyet than Poyet did for Bloom. IMHO, like.

Yeah it only saw us win League One at an absolute canter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here