Living In a Box
17/2

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
England 24-2 (9 overs)

This game can be won and lost in the 11 overs left tonight.

Massive pressure on Stoneman and Root (who just took a nasty blow on the helmet).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A defeat is looming and will continue to look ominous all the time we have to rely on Woakes and Ball as our bowling threat. After the Aussies have seen off Anderson and Broad our bowling is very weak as their first innings showed. They were on the rack at 76/4 but we let them off and allowed them back into the game. Also Root was at fault straight after lunch for not turning the screw on them to stop them scoring.
To allow Cummins to bat for over 2 hours for 42 and not using their main force bowlers was the crucial point of the game, when it drifted away from us.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
A defeat is looming and will continue to look ominous all the time we have to rely on Woakes and Ball as our bowling threat. After the Aussies have seen off Anderson and Broad our bowling is very weak as their first innings showed. They were on the rack at 76/4 but we let them off and allowed them back into the game. Also Root was at fault straight after lunch for not turning the screw on them to stop them scoring.
To allow Cummins to bat for over 2 hours for 42 and not using their main force bowlers was the crucial point of the game, when it drifted away from us.
That's the spirit.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That's the spirit.

That was just my personal view and will have less baring on the result than anybody posting on here for our players to read if they so wished. It is an indisputable fact that our bowling excluding Anderson and Broad has let us down but perhaps more credit should go to Smith for capitalizing on a weak bowling attack.

If only Stokes!! Is the head of Somerset Police an Ossie?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We have in Anderson and Broad two of the best fast bowlers in the world but unfortunately after them the rest that we have in Australia are very mediocre and as they say about goods not fit for purpose.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Think they were saying this morning the next match will suit our bowlers as the weather/ temperatures are more in keeping with good old England. Not all lost yet. Some balls shown at the end from Root snd Stoneman. A tough first session tomorrow, see Off the new ball. You never know.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
For all the issues about the No.2 spot and the rest of the snowflake batting, I am a bit concerned about Cook. He can still make the occasional enormous score, but in between doesn't seem able to make consistent runs. If there was another opener around who could actually open properly (and Cook hadn't been captain), his place could have been under threat for some time. He definitely isn't as good as he used to be.

As for the rest, every innings I have come to expect one out, all out.

We used to be quite good at this game (especially when we could rely on South African talent).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that we all know that Cook and Root will come good with the bat at some point but I am more concerned with our bowling. We couldnt get Smith out once so how do we expect to do it 10 times in a series.

Jan 10, 2014
Cook with another big score :facepalm:

I have a really bad feeling about today, and can envisage the match ending today.

We'll need a big score from Joe and we'll need Moeen to stick about.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Cook with another big score :facepalm:

I have a really bad feeling about today, and can envisage the match ending today.

We'll need a big score from Joe and we'll need Moeen to stick about.

I'm hoping for the best but share your concern. hard to know if we can tough it out on what is still a good batting wicket or if yesterday has destroyed the team mentally and its an inevitable drip drip drip of wickets every 20 runs or so. I'd like to think we can dig in and get a score of 200-250 and we are right back in the game. As is usual. we have to take it session by session and hour by hour. Root and Stoneman dug in very well and can take some confidence in to day 4....lets just hope.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here