Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] First Ashes Test Australia vs England Brisbane 23rd-27th November

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Given the omnishambles of the Arthur Ashe thread I thought I would give it a go for the First Test. :lolol:

Not convinced by our batting or bowling, but who knows Vince might debut with a double ton...

Probably not. :(

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I'm getting a bit confused (in a BG style) but is it midnight kick off here?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
So the Vince sweepstake:

8 (eight)

Two fours then caught by the keeper bowled Starc.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Might stay up. Well, until Woakes comes in before lunch- or no Aussie batsman leaves the field.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
11 is the start time on BT for the pre-game show. Looking forward to it - perfect few days to have off with thanksgiving and the NFL tomorrow - better set up two screens in the front room

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Let's 'av 'em. I'm up until 02:00 to watch this to live in hope........................

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I've been impressed that the England camp has not got drawn into a war of words or given the Aussies anything to come back on. It's been low-key, no mess-ups, heads down, acclimatise and things have gone better than I've expected.

Even David Warner had nothing to say other to remind journalists that Ben Stokes had let his country down, but the way the England squad have prepared for this series they seem to have taken that in their stride, while such words will only make Stokes more determined if and when he eventually does return.

Here, I'm minded of Richard Ellison's contribution when introduced into the England team for the final 2 two tests of the 1985 Ashes series: 17 wickets at 11 apiece - 2 wins for England, England win the series 3-1. Could history repeat itself?

GooGull

Aug 14, 2016
Might have to miss the start as I have to be up at 5 but I’ll be listening to TMS all morning

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I've been impressed that the England camp has not got drawn into a war of words or given the Aussies anything to come back on. It's been low-key, no mess-ups, heads down, acclimatise and things have gone better than I've expected.

Even David Warner had nothing to say other to remind journalists that Ben Stokes had let his country down, but the way the England squad have prepared for this series they seem to have taken that in their stride, while such words will only make Stokes more determined if and when he eventually does return.

Here, I'm minded of Richard Ellison's contribution when introduced into the England team for the final 2 two tests of the 1985 Ashes series: 17 wickets at 11 apiece - 2 wins for England, England win the series 3-1. Could history repeat itself?

I did rather think yesterday it felt like the Australians were trying to convince themselves rather than us with all this "scared" stuff. I mean, Nathan Lyon? I accept he has a relatively decent Test record, but he really isn't somebody England fear, nor do the English cricket-watching public think of him as anything more than an average Test match spinner. Shane Warne used to give batsmen the willies every time he walked to the crease. Lyon will never do that.

As you say, it's been quite pleasing to hear the England squad refusing to rise to it, and looking somewhat bemused by it all. A bit of humility is a good thing.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Gutted this year as my new job does not allow WFH. During the last couple of series, I've hardly missed a ball thanks to WFH, but not going to catch much of this one. Definitely staying up for a bit tonight though. Can't possibly miss the start.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
So the Vince sweepstake:

8 (eight)

Two fours then caught by the keeper bowled Starc.

I'm going for 5 (FIVE).

A hurried single to get off the mark. Edged 4 through the slips. Next edge carries to first slip.

7pm start here :thumbsup: just need to find a decent stream.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
If you have Sky but not BT Sports - there's a deal on to get BT Sports Pack HD for free [for 3 months] then £6.50 per month - its no-contract, just 30 days notice - so if you give notice after 2 months you'll see it all for free

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?358596-Ashes-Stream

Thanks for pointing that out...I’m ok...my son is keen on the Champions League stuff so I’ve access to BT Sports...I was just so surprised..I’ve just got accustomed to watching cricket on Sky...have they snaffled all the commentators like Atherton..Lloyd et al

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I'm hoping the difference will be:

We have a keeper that is a proven Test batter - Bairstow Vs Paine
We have two genuine all-rounders Ali vs Lyon in the spin department and Woakes vs any of Starc, Cummings or Hazelwood
This means the Aussies must pick 6 front line batters and go with just the 4 bowlers - there is no Watson to fill in some quiet overs either.

So on the balance of player's I have us just ahead - however Australian conditions [the Gabba will be quick] and the hostile environment [it's not called the "Gabatoir" for nothing] will make for a big challenge, especially for the new lads.

I'd take a draw right now ....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here