Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Suddenly 300 looks a long way away.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
New ball taken... two overs to go this evening... England 196-4 (80 overs)... Jimmy Anderson has his pads on.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Morning everyone, 196-4 is not the worst first day score. Hope this pair put a few more on but there is still a fair bit of batting to come.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Close of play, Day One ( bad light stopped play)

England 196-4 (80.3 overs)

Malan 28* Ali 13*

A good day of Ashes cricket on a slow wicket. The hundred partnership between Vince 83 and Stoneman 53 was the main event.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
If Malan and Ali can see us through to 250 plus it could be quite a decent score for the first innings.
It proves a point as well, losing two main run scorers cheaply, Cook and Root, but still putting in a decent innings.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Decent day. It reminds me of a golfer on the first day of a tournament going in at par because they didn't take risks. You can't win it on day one, but you can lose it.

It's not amazing, but something to build on.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Not getting carried away but England's day I thought. Just 4 wickets in a day is a tad below par but there and again so was the total. Batting first also confers a bit of an advantage. So especially given some of the horror scenarios anticipated in the build-up I think 92.7% of England supporters would settle for this as a first day performance. However, the horror scenarios might have just been deferred for a day or two...................

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
If not for a suicidal run out which I still can't understand that's a great days play. 3 down with a Vince century would have been dreamland.

Ali, Bairstow and Woakes is a great lower middle order if the top order can put on some runs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here