Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] First Ashes Test Australia vs England Brisbane 23rd-27th November

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
:lol:

Explains Martin Bicknell.

Amusing that BG wants to judge everyone by their last match, but has clung manically to his obsession with recalling Trescothick, based on his form of a decade ago!

If what you have available isnt good enough as was the case with an opener to partner Cook you have to then start looking at players with previous which is what people are doing with Woakes. It is preferable, however, to have current players that are good enough and in form. Sadly without Stokes that isnt possible.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I sat up and watched every ball bowled and thought that we lost the game through our bad bowling after lunch on day 3 when Ball Woakes and Alli allowed them off the hook aided by some poor field placing by an inexperienced captain still learning the ropes.

That is only in context with our performance with the bat. Take that out of the equation and we bowled them out for 328 on a more than decent batting wicket with arguably the best batsmen in the world getting nearly half of their runs - could have been worse had Woakes not got Cummins on 42. Getting them for 328, with only a 1 player getting 52 or more, was a more than decent performance with the ball, only reason it wasn't was because of our poor go with the bat.

You won't win many test matches if you bat first and need your bowlers to restrict a team to below 300 on a flat wicket.

The Kookaburra ball has always gone hot and cold during an innings, hence wickets came in flurries for both sides.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
I sat up and watched every ball bowled and thought that we lost the game through our bad bowling after lunch on day 3 when Ball Woakes and Alli allowed them off the hook aided by some poor field placing by an inexperienced captain still learning the ropes. IMHO they should have used Anderson and Broad more during that period as the others werent doing the business. Through having no other option we must hope that Ball Woakes and Alli rise to the occasion on Saturday in Adelaide and show the ability that you are saying they have. I would like an opinion on how and who will get Smith out 8 times now before the end of the series.

I would like an opinion on who you would select to replace and do better than Ali, Woakes and Ball?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would like an opinion on who you would select to replace and do better than Ali, Woakes and Ball?

I dont have an opinion as I do not know enough about the county game as to who could have been picked for the tour. It was really an observation of how those picked fell short of the task. Also really reiterating what more knowledgeable people than me like Geoff Boycott, Michael Vaughan and Graham Swan have been saying.

Last edited:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
It would help if we had someone to step into his shoes.
I don't think anyone is denying that but in the whole of world cricket, I don't think there is any player who could do that.

Ali and Woakes are very good, experienced Test cricketers both of whom have won us Test Matches in the recent past. Neither had a good game. I'd be very surprised if neither contribute in this series.

Cook and Root have to score big runs for us to do well in this series. We can't expect our bowling to get us out of trouble.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I don't think anyone is denying that but in the whole of world cricket, I don't think there is any player who could do that.

Ali and Woakes are very good, experienced Test cricketers both of whom have won us Test Matches in the recent past. Neither had a good game. I'd be very surprised if neither contribute in this series.

Cook and Root have to score big runs for us to do well in this series. We can't expect our bowling to get us out of trouble.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I think Ali will be ok but not so sure on Woakes and Ball but hope that I am wrong and that they start showing this on Saturday.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Is it just me who is now reading every one of BG's posts in a Geoff Boycott accent in my head?

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Turning into a media circus, we look like a joke over here at the moment, glad I'm not Bairstow's friend, would have to wear a hard hat on greetings !

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Jeez, can’t believe everyone is taking the Bairstow headbut so seriously.
The uk media has been stupid enough to amplify a load of bs by the Aussie media.
bs piled on top of bs does not make it a bigger story.
And now the Aussie journalists’ egos have been inflated as they feel part of the ashes story.
Ah well, once we let them off the hook at seven down I had a feeling we were screwed anyway.
And, make no mistake, this ashes series is gone

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Jeez, can’t believe everyone is taking the Bairstow headbut so seriously.
The uk media has been stupid enough to amplify a load of bs by the Aussie media.
bs piled on top of bs does not make it a bigger story.
And now the Aussie journalists’ egos have been inflated as they feel part of the ashes story.
Ah well, once we let them off the hook at seven down I had a feeling we were screwed anyway.
And, make no mistake, this ashes series is gone

When was the last time we won at the GABBA, in fact when was the last time any touring team won at the GABBA.
Not many I would have thought, one swallow etc.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
When was the last time we won at the GABBA, in fact when was the last time any touring team won at the GABBA.
Not many I would have thought, one swallow etc.

1986, Botham got 138 batting at no.6 first innings, Aussies followed on, England won by 7 wickets.

England last avoided defeat in 2010 with Cook's massive 235 in the 2nd innings leading to a draw.

Last team to win there was West Indies in 1988!

Since England's last win, Australia at the GABBA in tests are P31 W23 D7 L1

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I accept the past history of The Gabba and the record but what baring did that have on the match when we let them off the hook after lunch on Day 3 or even when we had them at 76 for 4 when Smith came in. History is great but that was the present and actually happening.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here