Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Brighton and Hove taxpayers face another maximum rate rise in 2018 (4.¥9%)

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
tax will rise by the maximum 4.99 per cent for the second year running next spring, if the city’s Labour administration passes budget measures announced today.

Preliminary proposals for Brighton and Hove’s 2018/19 financial year reveal the council’s intention to increase tax to meet service demand while cutting spending by £13 million in order to balance the budget.

The tax increase, which would follow a 4.99 per cent rise this year and 3.99 per cent in 2016, will mean the council tax bill for a Band D households will be around £200 a year higher next year than it was in 2015/16."

Time to tighten the belts...

Argartu

Jun 5, 2014
I for one have no issues with paying higher Council Tax if the City Council improve services across all spectrums!

This. You get what you give. With funding from the central Gov't slipping away it's the only way the council can try to make repairs and spruce things up.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
This. You get what you give. With funding from the central Gov't slipping away it's the only way the council can try to make repairs and spruce things up.

The 5% rise is nothing like enough to cover the further cuts required across (in this instance) the city. But it will be a similar story across virtually all local authorities.

To cover £13m in cuts by Council Tax alone, they would have to put it up by something like 11%.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I for one have no issues with paying higher Council Tax if the City Council improve services across all spectrums!

This will all go towards adult social care & kids with special needs while all other services are cut

Still happy to pay my bit

taz

Feb 18, 2015
No they will jUST waste it !! Sending unmarried mothers with there falsely diagnosed kids with a.d.h.d ,,Or discipline compliance Syndrome on free trips to Thorpe park , chessington, and Christmas pantomimes, is not where I want my hard earned cash to go !!

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
The council should not be this potless as apparently Brighton is very prosperous "cough cough" or maybe they actually need to attract people to the city who actually pay council tax and contribute to the city.
Been done to death but Brighton has got it all wrong when it comes to prosperity and more.
They're more interested in potless students who pay no council tax and bus lanes everywhere,Been backwards in Brighton for decades sadly... I'm sure it will get worse and maybe corbyn Will move there with his wealthy student followers lol

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012

I have mate , 10%i increase in a year , some people won’t be able to afford it , lucky I can .
There are no improvement in services at all , this city is becoming the most expensive place to live in outside London , but without the London wages .
this Is what you get with a left wing council .

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No they will jUST waste it !! Sending unmarried mothers with there falsely diagnosed kids with a.d.h.d ,,Or discipline compliance Syndrome on free trips to Thorpe park , chessington, and Christmas pantomimes, is not where I want my hard earned cash to go !!

oh yes it is!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The council should not be this potless as apparently Brighton is very prosperous "cough cough" or maybe they actually need to attract people to the city who actually pay council tax and contribute to the city.
Been done to death but Brighton has got it all wrong when it comes to prosperity and more.
They're more interested in potless students who pay no council tax and bus lanes everywhere,Been backwards in Brighton for decades sadly... I'm sure it will get worse and maybe corbyn Will move there with his wealthy student followers lol

Not sure you are aware of how local finances work. Most comes from central govt, Brighton and Hove along with many other local authorities have had this cut massively hence the fullest rate rise you can deploy without a referendum. This council has a lot of people to look after, it’s not all hipster tech startups here, and that costs money. Local councils are on the frontline of austerity.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Whilst I can quibble with certain areas by and large I think Brighton Council do a pretty good job so I've got no problems with the increase. It's a pity they can't target it so that those in the more affluent areas pay more. Time to re-assess the tax bands?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
how would people feel about council tax replaced with local income tax? with a suitable reduction in the national income tax, say 15%, then local authorities could raise upto 5% (maybe a little more) for front line services.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
how would people feel about council tax replaced with local income tax? with a suitable reduction in the national income tax, say 15%, then local authorities could raise upto 5% (maybe a little more) for front line services.

In principle it would be fairer - for example it would automatically take account of peoples changed circumstances. As it is with this 5% increase it's going to stretch our household - I've lost 35% of my income in the last three years and Mrs W has been out of work since May yet somehow we're meant to find another 5% on this charge. A local income tax would take account of the changes in our income.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
You pay council tax in Yen now? Welcome to Brexit. :wink:

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
If everyone paid their fair share fine...but all the time you have people sitting on their arse claiming all the benefits under the sun its not fine at all.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Not sure you are aware of how local finances work. Most comes from central govt, Brighton and Hove along with many other local authorities have had this cut massively hence the fullest rate rise you can deploy without a referendum. This council has a lot of people to look after, it’s not all hipster tech startups here, and that costs money. Local councils are on the frontline of austerity.

Of course he doesn't know.

He just wants to mouth off - while saying absolutely nothing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here