Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bruno

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Bruno is Bruno and has been magnificent for the Albion however, he hasn't got the pace he once had. His reading of the game is still very very good but I think that, given the number of times he has been caught jogging back from up front when the play is by then attacking our box, perhaps he should not be venturing so far forward to the same extent as now.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I wonder if anyone's considered, he's doing what he's told at set pieces?

If you actually look at how we're organised, players have one of three roles - blockers, markers and 'headers' - i.e. someone who can attack the ball to clear it.

The taller players mark their dangermen, the smaller players are blockers to make the area congested and to stop opponents getting a jump or a run on the ball from deep. Bruno turned his back and it bounced off him, but he's not doing that because of a brain-fart or being 'off the pace'. It's what he's been told to do and unfortunately in this case, it fluked up off his back and fell to a Stoke player.

I don't see people complaining when he casually blocks his man and Murray heads away the harmless delivery - because everyone's watching the clearance and ignoring everything else going on.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
As I said beyond criticism. Attacking, Positional play and on deck as good as ever. He was at fault for 2nd goal and that is not first time. At set plays he doesnt try and clear but just blocks. I Have no idea if Schelotto is better but plenty of options including Rossenior and lad on loan at Newport. Always option of putting him at near post for set plays. I am in the West and have never heard a whisper of criticism of Bruno.

Bruno looks good from the east as well. Worth the admission price for his play alone.

Aleš Mateju looked positionally OK when he played one game (v Athletico?)

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I was asked yesterday who was our worst player in our starting 11. Although one of my favourites I concluded it was either Murray or Bruno

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Personally I wouldn't have Bruno marking at corners in the six yard box we have enough height to cope in Dunk, Duffy, Murray, Stephens and Propper.
It's not a criticism but an observation, Bruno does tend to block at set prices rather than attack the ball as someone previously stated maybe that is part of our tactics.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It hit him on the back at our far post. The error is how the hell has that not been headed prior to it dropping that low? I'd suggest if a ball is hitting one of our players on the back at the far post from a corner, something else has gone wrong for that to happen.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Winning balls in the air is not one of his best attributes. I don't think this is something new. He has more assets than liabilities so I think we just need to accept that. Not every player is good at everything. Lionel Messi aint that good in the air either

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Unfortunately he didn't cover him self in glory again today in the mess that was their 2nd goal. Schelleto did a good job clearing crosses with his head today, but once he came off, Bruno was unable to clear the cross at the first attempt with his head.

Obviously he was not the only one at fault, but would we have conceded if Schelleto had stayed on?

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
I love the man - we all do - but I think Bruno's race is now run. Hardly surprising given his age but what a player, servant and man...

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I love the man - we all do - but I think Bruno's race is now run. Hardly surprising given his age but what a player, servant and man...

Not sure I agree, as he still has much to offer. Too good to put out to pasture just yet.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
We've just got to find a different marking job for him to do at set plays that doesn't involve challenging for headers. On the post, for example? Oh no, I forgot - CH doesn't believe in that.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
With Rosenior being the Cup RB and sexy-musketeer-looking-Schelotto playing so well, where does our wonderful Bruno now fit in?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Winning balls in the air is not one of his best attributes. I don't think this is something new. He has more assets than liabilities so I think we just need to accept that. Not every player is good at everything. Lionel Messi aint that good in the air either

Good enough in the air to score a header in the Champions League final though.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Imho Rosenior didnt show enough yesterday to suggest that he would take Bruno's place as cover for Schelotto. Our immediate hope must be that during this season in preparation for next, in which ever division, Mateju steps up to the mark.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here