Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Hammond's Budget

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I left Grammar school at 16 so never had a student grant. In fact, when I was at school only the rich went to university. Everyone, rich or poor had free education up to 16, although secondary modern kids left at 15.

Housing wasn't cheap in the 60s because we were still catching up with the war damage. I finally managed to buy a home in the 70s with my ex.

This is what I hate about politics now. The whole country is divided. North v South, old v young, Remain v Brexit. Nothing will get sorted out for anybody until we get a leader and party prepared to serve the country instead of making false promises. I won't hold my breath.

You make my point for me. The young have had a succession of legislation go against them, while the old have benefitted by comparison. Is it any surprise the young have voted against Brexit and against May in the numbers they have done, and why there is such apathy and cynicism for politics in general? The Tories have looked after their core, grey, middle England voters very well, safe in the knowledge that the turnout among the young is low. However, they've seen Corbyn's message resonate with the young to the extent he won enough seats for the Tories to lose their majority, hence today's cynical Budget to buy back votes with young property buyers - those that they aspire to land as Tory voters in future elections.

Whilst I take your point that you personally may not have benefitted from some or any of my list you must agree that the young are in a far worse position than their parents when it comes to starting out in life? I'm 49, I got a full student grant so no student debt, I bought my first place for £40K in 1992, worked my way up the property ladder and now have decent equity in my own home. I regard myself as lucky because I don't think my kids will have such a relatively easy start.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You make my point for me. The young have had a succession of legislation go against them, while the old have benefitted by comparison. Is it any surprise the young have voted against Brexit and against May in the numbers they have done, and why there is such apathy and cynicism for politics in general?

Whilst I take your point that you personally may not have benefitted from some or any of my list you must agree that the young are in a far worse position than their parents when it comes to starting out in life? I'm 49, I got a full student grant so no student debt, I bought my first place for £40K in 1992, worked my way up the property ladder and now have decent equity in my own home. I regard myself as lucky because I don't think my kids will have such a relatively easy start.

Well, you were a lot luckier than me, and I'm 20 years older than you. I moved north when I got married because houses were far too expensive in Sussex.
So it's the middle aged we should be villifying, not the pensioners.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
He's giving the young a brilliant chance that no one felt the need to give my generation. F**k him.

Our generation have had it a lot harder than the babyboomers not that they will ever admit it. However the millenials don't stand a chance. It's nothing to do with hard work and all to do with when you were born. If the young don't start getting looked after soon, this country will be screwed because they will vote in the extreme left and nobody could blame them.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Well, you were a lot luckier than me, and I'm 20 years older than you. I moved north when I got married because houses were far too expensive in Sussex.

But every old person (apart from you) voted for Brexit, so we're all f**ked anyway.

Hell, you we're even a teenager when the Beatles and Stones showed up. This generation have X Factor sh1te and Ed Sheeran. See what I mean!?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
But every old person (apart from you) voted for Brexit, so we're all f**ked anyway.

Hell, you we're even a teenager when the Beatles and Stones showed up. This generation have X Factor sh1te and Ed Sheeran. See what I mean!?

As I said, I know many old people who voted Remain.

As to the second part of your post, yes the 60s were great and I was privileged to be a teenager then. It's been all downhil since.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The brief reading i've done this afternoon suggests no stamp duty will do little but raise prices by the equivalent amount.
Why would it do that? Surely plenty of people buying homes under £300k won't be buying their first place, so they won't be expecting to pay more for a house.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

We need an extreme left government for five years to remind us what a bad idea that is, might be needed as a short term soloution🤡

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
The frustration is that it's taken so long to be able to afford a house and as soon as I get one (I'm in my early 30s) they introduce a raft of measures that make it cheaper to buy a house and simultaneously lower the increase in house prices by increasing supply. He's the chancellor for a Tory government for f*cks sakes. Start acting like it rather than f*cking the people that have worked their back sides off to get something.

I can understand your frustration in that you could have saved dosh, but then he IS helping thousands of young people who have worked their backsides off, as you put it - precisely what you would expect a Tory chancellor to do, I would have thought.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Honest John's fantasy budget unraveling already :laugh:

https://order-order.com/2017/11/22/doubting-john-mcdonnells-honesty/

When the presenters on the BBC’s Budget Show expressed scepticism about John McDonnell’s claim that asset managers supported his nationalisation plans, the Shadow Chancellor followed Corbyn’s lead from earlier and lost his temper: “Are you doubting my honesty?” Yes, they were…

Talking of McDonnell’s honesty, he told Brillo that he never used Paris’ water supply as an example of how his nationalisation plan could work on Marr. Watch below, he did:

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
The stamp duty detail is interesting. People have looked at the actual detail and the below is interesting. Obviously those who were buying anyway will benefit but the idea for this was to help people to do something they wouldn't anyway so the money lost from those who don't pay tax they would have is deadweight. People don't tend to understand stamp duty do they? Headline grabbing if ineffective policy.

"The stamp duty cut costs over £900,000 for each additional first time buyer... It would be much cheaper to literally build them a house each."

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
We need an extreme left government for five years to remind us what a bad idea that is, might be needed as a short term soloution��

We really don't. That combined with Brexit would bankrupt the country for my great grandchildren (my kids are not ten yet)

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I can understand your frustration in that you could have saved dosh, but then he IS helping thousands of young people who have worked their backsides off, as you put it - precisely what you would expect a Tory chancellor to do, I would have thought.

You want me to be happier because yet another generation has been given an easier ride than mine?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
A full student grant and free education, affordable / low house prices, increasing living standards, benefits of EU membership, increased property prices, triple lock on pensions.

Compare that to the young: expensive education, unaffordable housing, high rents, decreasing living standards, growth stunted by Brexit decision, paying for the triple lock on pensions.

The Tory party are starting to realise they've alienated the youth, who back Corbyn and Remain by a clear majority, hence Hammond bending over backwards with his zero stamp duty and inflation-busting increases to the starting minimum wage.

Not all young people back Corbyn because many realise he’s an even bigger disaster waiting to happen. What most young people want is a chance at a fair political system that can bring about real, substantial long term change rather than the current system which panders to the group that is the favour of that particular month. In short, they/we want to be given a chance.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
You want me to be happier because yet another generation has been given an easier ride than mine?

My friend, I don't expect that you are happy, as I said that I could understand your frustration, did I not? But what you are saying in effect is that thousands should not benefit in the future because you missed the boat. Yes, you are understandably bitter, but there has to be a cut-off line somewhere.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Can we do a reality check here. The Tories are being accused of pandering to the old generation, but at the same time wrecking the NHS for the generation that needs it most. So how does that work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here