Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Hammond's Budget

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
A small step in the right direction but will it be enough?

Pensions, savings and welfare
£1.5bn package to "address concerns" about the delivery of universal credit
Seven-day initial waiting period for processing of claims to be scrapped
Claimants to get one month's payment within five days of applying
Repayment period for advances to increase from six to 12 months.
New universal credit claimants in receipt of housing benefit to continue to receive

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
From April 2018, the personal allowance will rise to £11,850, meaning the typical basic rate tax payer will be £1,075 a year better off compared to 2010
Actually, I've just remembered, of course I will be better off by £1,075 a year, that's because I am earning less than I did in 2010!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Hold your horses, there's a small group (and we all know who they are) waiting for the left-leaning media to write this up so they can copy and paste those views as their own.

It's as certain as the party who lost the last election once again telling the current government to step aside as if elections don't count for anything in this country.
More balanced political comment from our glorious leader...

I don't need anyone to tell me my own views.

That Hammond has just had the gall to actually publicise "£28m to address homelessness" tells me all I need to know.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Lots of extra spending commitments but no tax or NI increases.

Lots of talk about how much better off we are tax-wise under the Tories as compared with Labour, but with public services at breaking point we need to raise more tax to pay for improvements.

Lots more borrowing, low productivity, no extra tax revenue and with the prospect of losing investment and jobs because of Brexit this is a risky Budget.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Cigarettes up by inflation plus 2% - so around 6% making a pack around £9. Good move.
I think they are pretty much all £10 a pack already... I really can't see why anyone would want to smoke these days

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
The way for young people to afford houses is to stop keeping house prices so effing high. Surely it would not be too hard to slap a massive tax on someone buying a buy to let if they already have one. Finding a 5% deposit for 250k house is not easy when rent is so high.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

That Hammond has just had the gall to actually publicise "£28m to address homelessness" tells me all I need to know.
Who actually voted for Bozza?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
£44bn of capital funding, loans, and guarantees to boost housing supply over 5 years... but seems to have ducked the freeing up of land with existing planning permission by launching an enquiry.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Are you saying he shouldn’t voice an opinion if it differs from yours? Mugabe has gone you know

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I didn't actually pass any political comments at all though, did I?

The red mist has come it seems.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The way for young people to afford houses is to stop keeping house prices so effing high. Surely it would not be too hard to slap a massive tax on someone buying a buy to let if they already have one.

They already have, it's called the 3% Stamp Duty Land Tax additional charge, so an extra £6K tax on the purchase of a second home at £200K.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Pre-Brexit Growth HM Treasury 2015:
QZrGufh.png

Post-Brexit Growth HM Treasury 2017:
DPO5thFW4AAMLHc.jpg

Did the economists get their fortune-telling wrong again?
:lolol::lolol::lolol:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Stamp Duty abolished for 1st time buyers up to £300,000 and on higher priced houses on the first £300,000 (for purchases up to £500,000). :)

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Why has he not yet mentioned an extra £350m per week for the NHS?

shhhhh dont tell everyone because not a lot of remainers know this but the cross party group who campaigned for brexit had no regulatory powers to set government spending on the NHS and the bus logo has yet to be officially designated as an Act of Parliament.......crazy eh?

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Stamp duty abolished for first time buyers for homes under 300k is good but it doesn't actually help with deposit does it? Most first time buyers chuck that on the mortgage don't they? Or is that wrong?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
**** me! The rabbit in the hat is an additional giveaway to the relatively well off. Brilliant.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
They already have, it's called the 3% Stamp Duty Land Tax additional charge, so an extra £6K tax on the purchase of a second home at £200K.

But that is tiny when house prices go up and rent can be twice as high as mortgage. It is sod all.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here