Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Hammond's Budget

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
They will stick to their pro-European line and I think that will win support. With UKIP out of the way and the Tories nailing their Brexit colours to the mast then anyone right of centre and who doesn't agree with the direction May is going has little option but to turn to the Lib Dems. Corbyn's message is hard left and extreme to many.

Labour are in a good place simply because they are not responsible for negotiating and delivering Brexit, yet they have the knowledge they ran Theresa May close in the last election and Corbyn outperformed May personally in the campaign. Corbyn's post-Budget speech in the Commons yesterday showed he is still fired up and genuinely cares about poverty, injustice and the public services - that pot is still on the boil.

The key lies in Labour's ability to maintain an appearance they are the government in waiting whilst broadening their appeal sufficiently wide enough to take back some centre ground and win back enough seats in the North and Scotland to regain the balance of power.

Nicely summarised, IMO. Although the real issue for the LibDems is that their traditional heartlands (the south west) is also strong Brexit country, which is why they didn't make the gains in the last election people like you and I would have hoped. Unless those people start to see Brexit for the utter clusterfck that it is, LibDems will have to look for support elsewhere.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Nicely summarised, IMO. Although the real issue for the LibDems is that their traditional heartlands (the south west) is also strong Brexit country, which is why they didn't make the gains in the last election people like you and I would have hoped. Unless those people start to see Brexit for the utter clusterfck that it is, LibDems will have to look for support elsewhere.

I agree. There are plenty of people across the country who voted Lib Dem in 2010, UKIP in 2015, Brexit in 2016, and Labour or Tory in 2017 - I can't see the Lib Dems winning them back.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
They will stick to their pro-European line and I think that will win support. With UKIP out of the way and the Tories nailing their Brexit colours to the mast then anyone right of centre and who doesn't agree with the direction May is going has little option but to turn to the Lib Dems. Corbyn's message is hard left and extreme to many.

Labour are in a good place simply because they are not responsible for negotiating and delivering Brexit, yet they have the knowledge they ran Theresa May close in the last election and Corbyn outperformed May personally in the campaign. Corbyn's post-Budget speech in the Commons yesterday showed he is still fired up and genuinely cares about poverty, injustice and the public services - that pot is still on the boil.

The key lies in Labour's ability to maintain an appearance they are the government in waiting whilst broadening their appeal sufficiently wide enough to take back some centre ground and win back enough seats in the North and Scotland to regain the balance of power.

It's debatable as to their culpability regarding Brexit - their cowardly approach to it alienated many Remainers who were searching for an ounce of leadership on the issue.

As to Corbyn looking for the centre ground... well... I think there is more chance of Superman becoming a non-fictional being.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Eastbourne returned Stephen LLoyd Lib Dem instead of a Tory, and a lot of people in the Lewes area are heartily sick of Maria Caulfield.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Although I agree with parts of what you're saying, a big part of the value is also due to supply and demand.
Yes of course, how much someone will pay and what someone will sell for is supply and demand.
The abolishment of SDLT will increase demand
Well it shouldn't increase the number of buyers, just the amount a few people can spend on a property - so yes, that's increasing demand at certain price points.
but not supply and is likely to cause an increase to house prices.
Agreed, but not by a lot, and certainly not by as much as the tax saving.

D

Deleted member 22389

So you would put the basic rate up then ..or are you a higher rate tax payer..how high would you increase CT and at what level of turnover

Just charge everyone a tenner a month to go in to an NHS pot. Basic idea I know, but it should stop the arguments about people paying their fair share, give the NHS the funding it needs in certain areas, and stop it being used as a political football 24/7.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Just charge everyone a tenner a month to go in to an NHS pot. Basic idea I know, but it should stop the arguments about people paying their fair share, give the NHS the funding it needs in certain areas, and stop it being used as a political football 24/7.

Great idea but the NHS needs an overhaul as so much money is wasted. I don't mean privatise it, but it is a bureaucratic mess at the moment.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Although I agree with parts of what you're saying, a big part of the value is also due to supply and demand. The abolishment of SDLT will increase demand, but not supply and is likely to cause an increase to house prices.

I'm one of those unlucky few that paid £3,500 SDLT on my first home last Friday, but have already seen the property value increase since I agreed the price six months ago, so it's not all bad.

I don't think you'll find any sane economist who would disagree with that, the ONS certainly don't. To acknowledge that we have a housing crisis and then to fuel house price inflation appears INsane until you remember it's the Tories pandering, yet again, to those who have rather than those who have not. I didn't agree with Ed Miliband when he launched the idea and I certainly don't agree with BOP now he's copied it.

D

Deleted member 22389

Great idea but the NHS needs an overhaul as so much money is wasted. I don't mean privatise it, but it is a bureaucratic mess at the moment.

On the NHS we can all agree it needs an overhaul in some areas, and stop wasting money.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

As Thunder has said and you have acknowledged there is a doubt over where that money would go therein lies part of the problem ..same could be said for extra money on social care ..education etc

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Sadly it won't, will it, as someone will say that to an above average earner a tenner is peanuts but to someone on low income it means far more, and I don't think it will ever cease to be a political football, so long as there are zealots determined to view it that way, and oppose any sort of reform, irrespective of the chances of success, because it conflicts with their ideology.

I do, however, agree with your sentiments - doubtless more cash is needed but for it to be a truly world-class service, rather more than a tenner is going to be needed, and I doubt whether your average punter would want to pay lots more, even though they still expect the ambulance to be there within 8 minutes. You are not the only one this type of threads, who would willingly throw extra at the NHS, but it never involves a willingness to part with large sums. And of course there is the argument that "simply" throwing money at it will not solve its problems and that this time next year, they will be back demanding more "resources" with, as ever, no intention of changing work practices, that might make the extra funding genuinely worthwhile.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The IFS has indicated that low growth now seems set in and entrenched, and will become the new normal over the next decades, and the public debt won't be repaid for a similar period. This is all entirely in line with what Piketty predicted, and if anyone wants to get a better understanding of economics, Capital in the Twenty-First Century is well worth a read.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
£3bn 'preparing' Brexit. :laugh:

That is just preparing reports, transport costs etc. etc. (Davis apparently chartering private jets...'allegedly')

£2.8bn extra for the NHS.

What did that bus say again? :whistle:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
£3bn 'preparing' Brexit. :laugh:

That is just preparing reports, transport costs etc. etc. (Davis apparently chartering private jets...'allegedly')

£2.8bn extra for the NHS.

What did that bus say again? :whistle:

To be fair a private jet to Europe isn't generally that 'expensive', especially with time saved for scheduled airlines etc

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

I think the economy will suffer as uncertainty over Brexit begins to bite, and it stands to reason that those who predicted chaos and did everything they could to prevent it will grow in support. I also think it is important that Labour maintain dialogue with the Lib Dems because I think they'll need each others support and votes to defeat the Tory machine.

Labour must recognise that this is not 2010 but 2017 and when the Tories needed the support of the 12 Lib Dem MPS to form a coalition Farron told them to f**k off.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
" I think the economy will suffer as uncertainty over Brexit begins to bite"

Er, have you not noticed what is happening already ?

Last edited:

sahel

Jan 24, 2014
The IFS has indicated that low growth now seems set in and entrenched, and will become the new normal over the next decades, and the public debt won't be repaid for a similar period. This is all entirely in line with what Piketty predicted, and if anyone wants to get a better understanding of economics, Capital in the Twenty-First Century is well worth a read.

Many people would say that low growth is what the planet needs. In that case what is important is proper distribution of current and future wealth. That means taxing wealth not just income. For example, higher inheritance taxes, increased capiral gains tax and annual wealth taxes. Just as one example restricting pension contribution relief on income to 20 % would bring in an extra 13 billion
a year. It also means cutting out tax havens and not reducing corporation tax below other european countries. Lots of scope for increased taxes without hitting poorer or middle income people. And with interest rates so low lots of scope for governments to borrow and spend on infrastructure etc which will also improve peoples' lives

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here