Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What was it like to be there when Storer's goal went in?

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
I'm not sure I "enjoyed" either Doncaster or Hereford games - just felt enormous relief at the results. I feel stressed even now when reading and reliving all the posts in this thread!

"enjoyed" is definitely not the right word. The most intense back-to-back games ever. I remember the Reinelt goal more because everything at the Goldstone was tinged with that massive sense of loss. Hereford was the rebirth and the Storer goal was yet another (though obviously essential) step on that journey from December. So for me the Storer goal was the equaliser - Renielt was the injury time winner.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
In the East stand and on the pitch when stoooooooooorer scored.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Joy, relief and an outpouring for years of frustration and misery.

Nervousness as to whether we could hang on.

Then, more relief that Hereford were losing.

More joy when the final whistle went and more relief that Hereford had lost.

Misery, wandering around a soaking Goldstone being ripped apart. Despair that we wouldn't be coming here again.

A damp pocket with a sod in it.

A realisation that, yes, we could survive in the Football League and therefore as a Club.

Planning for Hereford and the battles to come.

In one word: Hope.

PG

All of this. Including the damp sod, plus a West stand seat. The damp sod is still in a blue and white pot happily growing its Goldatone Grass.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I went to some games that season, including York when I knew there would be no game. I always felt we would survive. But I was not prepared to engage with the last throes. Donny was a given as far as I thought. Hereford, well, that was the day I listened on the radio, getting incrasingly pissed, and inventing 'magic lucky darts' (the old mailing list folks will recall this).

I am glad I was not there. Those days were a disgrace. No disrespect to those who can say 'I was there' but were you there after at Gillingham? Many were of course. That was the prize. What a ****ing prize. Living death.

I offered a bet to all and sundry at work that January when we were 12 points adrift. The mocking ****ers. No takers. Fancy that. I knew we would survive. But what concerned me more was what would survive?

The last hurrah at the Goldstone, the ripping up of the fixtures and fittings - for me? No thanks.

I loved the Goldstone. It was a dump but it was my dump. That is emotional and irrational. Some times I wish we were still there. My growing up. My life. Gone. Only been thre once since. Devastating. For me the last hurrah was a travesty and I wanted no part in it. York was it, for me.

Anyway.....moving on.....(wipes away a tear)

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I loved the Goldstone. It was a dump but it was my dump. That is emotional and irrational. Some times I wish we were still there.

With so many memories there for so many, I think we always will be.

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
I was in my normal position (stood there many a season) half-way up into the North Stand almost directly behind the goalpost on the left-hand side, view slightly obscured by some strapping six-footers who invariably managed to find a position directly in front of me.

When Storer's goal hit the net I can remember absolute Jubilation, Immense relief and absolute belief that we could, nay...we will be staying in the Football League.

I'm not afraid to say I shed a tear or two as the sun set on our last, but very very important victory at our beloved Goldstone Ground.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Amazing feeling , then bettered at Hereford .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here