Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What was it like to be there when Storer's goal went in?

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
I was 25 years old at the time and with my dad in the North stand - it was a real rollercoaster of emotions. I remember so much of that day. At the final whistle my dad and I went over to the East Stand - and stood in our old spot on the halfway line . This we hadn't been able to do for quite a few seasons as the terracing had been condemned. Very emotional- as that spot and view represented so much of my childhood memories - the Ward days, epic games in first division, the cup run of 83' , Liverpool in cup 84', the Nelson glory days of late eighties. Dad and I just stood there in quiet reflection- knowing it would be last time we both stood there .

I think we all felt that atleast we had given the Goldstone a good farewell- I think there was definite relief but this was tempered with the knowledge that Hereford was next up.

As a side note - I now sit in East Upper with my dad and son - must be something about the east side of the ground!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Mental! I remember shouting in the maelstrom at my mate 'We're going to f***ing Hereford again!'
I'd met my wife in November and we'd lost at Fulham, got points deducted and were about 12 points adrift. The run in was surreal, the goal unbelievable and the stripping of the Goldstone bizarre. Is it praying Mantis that procreate and die after orgasm? - like that but knowing you were going to get another pop. To top it all the Tories had gone before we played at Hereford.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
Mental! I remember shouting in the maelstrom at my mate 'We're going to f***ing Hereford again!'
I'd met my wife in November and we'd lost at Fulham, got points deducted and were about 12 points adrift. The run in was surreal, the goal unbelievable and the stripping of the Goldstone bizarre. Is it praying Mantis that procreate and die after orgasm? - like that but knowing you were going to get another pop. To top it all the Tories had gone before we played at Hereford.

Sums it all up nicely!! It was truly bonkers! I still don't know how we stayed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James Bond's body double

Nov 1, 2009
Southwick
Well, give me the chance to relive this game again I would bite your hand off over any game we have played since, nothing will ever compare for me ever.

The Orange Seagull

Time Traveller
Jul 8, 2004
Stuck in the 80's
I was in the South Stand and it was pandemonium when the ball went in and was even more special when Storer dived to the ground in celebration in the corner in front of us! Took a photo at the time but don't know where it is now, might try to find it later.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Broke the seat in the West Stand - but that didn't matter.

And a week later endured the horrific spectacle at Edgar Street.

There are only a few groups of supporters anywhere on the planet (if any?) that have had the combination of two Russian roulette games with football oblivion the probable outcome if we failed foisted upon them.

That's why it's SO special at the moment.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
If a non-football fan ever asks me what we see in football, what we get out of it, or what it's all about - I just show them this

Proper stripes too!

James Bond's body double

Nov 1, 2009
Southwick
Hereford? For me it is unlikely any Albion result will ever induce more joy.

I hated that game, until the final whistle then it was the greatest game ever. But just for sentimental it was Stoooooooooooooooooorer. But in terms of importance Hereford every time but not sure I would want to go through those mins again if I am a honest.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I hated that game, until the final whistle then it was the greatest game ever. But just for sentimental it was Stoooooooooooooooooorer. But in terms of importance Hereford every time but not sure I would want to go through those mins again I am a honest.

Oh yes, that was a game that took us through the complete gamut of emotions. Like you I never want to experience it again but the final whistle was the most joyous experience.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
As the players ran out of the tunnel at the start of the game they had mini footballs which they threw into the crowd.
(I didn’t even pay to get in as three of us squeezed into one turnstile then just legged it in when the first one of us showed his ticket)
Mark Ormerod threw his ball into the North and straight into my hands
I took the ball down on the pitch after the game and placed it in both penalty spots and smashed the ball into both goals
I still have the ball upstairs in The loft

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
https://youtu.be/rvFEwAonliE About 28 min in. ����

That post game celebration was more intense than the Wigan game last season. This video is fantastic-thanks to whoever spent the whole game recording it for us. I was there but most of the day was a blurr!

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Hereford? For me it is unlikely any Albion result will ever induce more joy.

For me they both have the same intensity! This game for all of the obvious reasons, last game at The Goldstone, no longer bottom of the league. Hereford for the relief that we were still in the league against all the odds.

Made all of those away days that season bearable.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I remember in the North, before the game started, it did feel a bit subdued, and I remember some bloke shouting to rouse everyone, saying this is our last chance to enjoy this!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
For me they both have the same intensity! This game for all of the obvious reasons, last game at The Goldstone, no longer bottom of the league. Hereford for the relief that we were still in the league against all the odds.

Made all of those away days that season bearable.

Nah. For me, nothing will ever compare with Hereford for the sheer nerve-shredding intensity. The win over Doncaster gave us a shot at staying up, but that was all it was. Bearing in mind at that point our away record read: W1 D3 L18 it was abundantly clear that we were still neck-deep in shit.

Obviously I celebrated like a LOON at the Donnie goal, but afterwards it felt like a stay of execution more than anything else.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here