Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What was it like to be there when Storer's goal went in?

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
I was reading More Than 90 Minutes last night and started tearing up near to the end with photographs of the last ever game at the Goldstone and Storer's winner. I was 5 years old and apparently dad and I listened to the game in Battle on the radio. What was it like to be there at the moment Storer's goal went in?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Joy, relief and an outpouring for years of frustration and misery.

Nervousness as to whether we could hang on.

Then, more relief that Hereford were losing.

More joy when the final whistle went and more relief that Hereford had lost.

Misery, wandering around a soaking Goldstone being ripped apart. Despair that we wouldn't be coming here again.

A damp pocket with a sod in it.

A realisation that, yes, we could survive in the Football League and therefore as a Club.

Planning for Hereford and the battles to come.

In one word: Hope.

PG

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
A bit like Hereford...it was almost too surreal to be enjoyable.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Didn't get that good a view of it from the North Stand, just saw the net bulge and then absolute mayhem for a few mins!

Hamilton

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Absolutely crazy.

My heart almost burst.

In that moment, I knew we'd do it. I knew we would survive.

Head spinning wonderfulness.

Cliff

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
I was sat behind the goal in the south stand. The ball seemed to take ages to go in the net. Everything went in slow motion. When the net finally bulged to confirm that the goal had been scored, the whole place just erupted.

Even after 20 years I still get a tear whenever I watch it back on youtube.

Let's Have A Winner!

Apr 23, 2006
Burgess Hill
Personally I absolutely love watching that goal now at the Amex every couple of weeks, but at the time there was a whole world of different emotions going on which made it not as enjoyable as it is now looking back. I don't remember my reaction that well but I think the overriding feeling for me would have been relief...and then I went mental!

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
I was sat in the West Stand. After we all stopped jumping around the elderly lady next to me said "We've got to hang on now". Can still recall her saying that all those years later and often wonder if she and her husband ever made it to the Amex.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
It was a damp, dark, depressing day, I felt numb all morning as I drove down from Camden I parked the car up and walked to the Hove Tavern for 11am. Why so early I had no ticket, by the about 1pm I had purchased a ticket for the Doncaster away end, bought another ticket later for the North and then traded that with a slight profit for a ticket in the East. Why the East well it was raining and I felt why no just piss on me good and proper if that is what is too come. The match was tense and to be honest went by so quick, I think I recall Baird's little tussle and then................. Storer...........

The relief, the joy, the crush, the final whistle.... running onto a sodden pitch with the belief we can do this, we can save this club, we can beat the odds.....

I stopped, and could see people crying, and for a moment I had forgot this was our last game here.....

I cried, I felt angry again, I felt lost like thousands of other fans wondering around the pitch with bits of grass or seats, wondering if this was a stay of execution or could we escape, because we had been kicked so long and hard that euphoria did not last long knowing Hereford and Homelessness was around the corner.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
It was a very emotionally charged period in the club’s history. It was a time when emotion flowed for even little things and that goal was not a little thing! It was beyond a simple football experience in a way that will never (I hope) be seen again for any of us at Brighton.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Carnage. I couldn't get a ticket for the north so ended up in the east along with a fair number of others who would clearly have chosen to be in the north. When we scored, the east went as mental as at any time I had been in the north.

Brovion

Jul 6, 2003
It's funny, at first I didn't celebrate as I was waiting for the ref to blow for the foul on the keeper (watch the replay, it's blatant). By the time I realised the goal was going to stand it was too late to go really mental! So I probably didn't go as beserk as some people.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Carnage. I couldn't get a ticket for the north so ended up in the east along with a fair number of others who would clearly have chosen to be in the north. When we scored, the east went as mental as at any time I had been in the north.

We certainly did, didn't we, there was a rush and crush and everything.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
As a few people have said, there was so much else going on - last game at the Goldstone, the need to hang on after we'd scored, what was happening to Hereford - that it was just one more moment in a succession of insane happenings that season. And for all we knew at the time, we'd go on to score another Fantastic for the few seconds after the ball hit the net, and Storer was a popular player, but very soon the realities kicked in again.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
If a non-football fan ever asks me what we see in football, what we get out of it, or what it's all about - I just show them this

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Surreal day. A victory amongst devastation and uncertainty. Many people were just going for the memories but when we scored attitudes changed... Can we?

Brovion

Jul 6, 2003
As a few people have said, there was so much else going on - last game at the Goldstone, the need to hang on after we'd scored, what was happening to Hereford - that it was just one more moment in a succession of insane happenings that season. And for all we knew at the time, we'd go on to score another Fantastic for the few seconds after the ball hit the net, and Storer was a popular player, but very soon the realities kicked in again.

Yeah, that's the thing, there was so much going on that the goal in itself, whilst monumentally important, was only one event that needed to happen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here