Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The “cultural” boycott of Isreal

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
No other race on earth has been persecuted throughout the ages for such irrational reasons than the Jewish faith. Who can blame them now they’ve got their own turf if they don’t exactly play by the rulebook. The Middle East is where most of the worlds main religions collide, it’ll never be harmonious. Even a single faith can find plenty to fallout about.

Would just add 'back' to "got their own turf".A lot of the history re-writers like to ignore the fact there was a jewish state called Israel there over 2000 years ago.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
> Using banned weapons - white phosphorus
> Bombing UN schools
> Bombing hospitals
> Mass punishment where family homes not owned by perpetrators of crimes are bulldozed. Some with people still in them.
> Illegal occupation of lands
> Using special forces against peaceful protestors
> Using state agents to murder opponents abroad
> Using fake British passports in attempt to hide an illegal murder by Israeli agents ( we were SUPPOSEDLY their allies )
> Murder of British soldiers
> Destruction of Arab olive groves because they were 'too close' to the security wall making farmers destitute

To name but a few things

Must have gone to the Assad school of war.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I'm not sure the persecution of the Jews justifies Israel persecuting others. There was an interesting yet horrific Panorama a few years ago that demonstrated how racist Israeli society is towards non-Jews. The Jewish mayor of Hebron ( might have been another town as my memory has faded ) actually suggested that the treatment of non-Jews/Israelis as being lesser was acceptable.

If Israel wants to be an accepted state then it needs to act like one and less like a rogue state - i.e. stick to the rule book.

It is an accepted state and you have absolutely no idea of the scale of persecution if you can, as a counter argument, so simply write “I’m not sure if...”

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
But the thread isn't about sorting out every problem in the Middle East, it was just about Israel. People boycott Israel due to the occupied territories and their treatment of Palestinians.

There is no "occupation" in Israel or any of the territories. This is why any boycotts ultimately won't work.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Israel occupy Gaza and the West Bank. Why are you claiming there's no occupation?

Israel doesn't occupy Gaza. That territory was handed over to the Arabs in 2005. Israel also doesn't occupy Judea and Samaria (not "the west bank") as all land west of the River Jordan actually belongs to Israel historically and, most importantly, legally. Even so, after the Oslo Accords, Judea and Samaria was divided into three separate areas: Areas A, B and C. Area A is administered by the "Palestinian Authority", Area B is administered by both the PA and Israel, and Area C is administered by Israel. In other words, Israel has complete jurisdiction in Area C, which is where ALL the Israeli settlements are. There can't be any "occupation" by Israel as you can't "occupy" the land that you already own!

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
That's debatable.

Well, not really debatable at all. Gaza is completely administered and managed by the Hamas terrorist group. Israel is no longer responsible for administering Gaza.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well, not really debatable at all. Gaza is completely administered and managed by the Hamas terrorist group. Israel is no longer responsible for administering Gaza.
Israel control what goes in and out of Gaza, they are the military force there.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Israel control what goes in and out of Gaza, they are the military force there.

Yes, as Hamas is a terrorist group who has pledged to annihilate all the Jews and destroy Israel. Naturally Israel is going to do everything it can to protect their citizens from attack. It just means that all goods go through Israel first before being delivered to Gaza.

In other news today:

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Israel occupy the Golan Heights

Syria attacked and invaded Israel in 1948 along with a number of other Arab countries. Israel fought back in 1967 and took the territory. UN Resolution 242, calls for "safe and recognised boundaries free from threats or acts of force" so seeing as Syria and Israel are technically at war, Israel won't be relinquishing Golan. You don't give your enemy the highlands surrounding your country as that is suicide. Plus the local Druze population prefer Israeli rule over Syrian. Look at the mess Syria is in.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I think Paul Weller is a great singer/songwriter and have seen him more times than can remember, I don't agree with his political views although some of his songs resonate with me. BUT I would never boycott, join or support anything he told me to do. Musicians play music and sing, once they move from that sphere they're in troubled waters, ain't that right Lilly & Geldoff, Bono?

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Culture club played Tel Aviv earlier on this month, boy george did admit he was put under pressure not to perform by pro Palestinian groups and people. He said his response to them was to “ F off’ he will play where he wants and he knows Israelis love pop music .

Madonna I think also told people where to go and even Duran Duran whose lead singer is very pro Palestinian played Tel Aviv on their recent tour. You can’t really single a particular country out for special treatment when there are at least 25 other countries who you could also make a case against. Israel comes under special pressure because it is a non Muslim country, in fact the only non Muslim country in the Middle East and Muslims in general find that very hard to accept, so look to isolate Israel at every opportunity. In reality this mindset has little to do with the treatment or not of Palestinians, they are actually not held in high regard across the Muslim world, but this ongoing issue is very convenient to keep the pressure on Israel.

To triggar , approx 300 trucks a day cross Gaza to bring supplies in . Israel only monitors this because of the risk of bombs and weapons being brought in, instead of needed supplies for the Palestinians.

Last edited:

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Syria attacked and invaded Israel in 1948 along with a number of other Arab countries. Israel fought back in 1967 and took the territory. UN Resolution 242, calls for "safe and recognised boundaries free from threats or acts of force" so seeing as Syria and Israel are technically at war, Israel won't be relinquishing Golan. You don't give your enemy the highlands surrounding your country as that is suicide. Plus the local Druze population prefer Israeli rule over Syrian. Look at the mess Syria is in.

Doesn't that contradict what you said in post #46 that 'there are no occupied territories in Israel, or any other territories'?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Culture club played Tel Aviv earlier on this month, boy george did admit he was put under pressure not to perform by pro Palestinian groups and people. He said his response to them was to “ F off’ he will play where he wants and he knows Israelis love pop music .

Madonna I think also told people where to go and even Duran Duran whose lead singer is very pro Palestinian played Tel Aviv on their recent tour. You can’t really single a particular country out for special treatment when there are at least 25 other countries who you could also make a case against. Israel comes under special pressure because it is a non Muslim country, in fact the only non Muslim country in the Middle East and Muslims in general find that very hard to accept, so look to isolate Israel at every opportunity

Lebanon isn't a muslim country yet, people should learn the history of that country,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here