Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Rodney Bewes dies aged 79

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Oh what happened to me, whatever happened to you?

I loved the Likely Lads, but Bewes also worked with Basil Brush.

[tweet]933042581671497729[/tweet]

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Never made it up with James Bolam, I believe. :(

Every 'classic' TV series always had at least one dynamite episode which stood the test of time. Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads? had 'No Hiding Place' where Bob and Terry spend the entire time trying not to find out the result of the England match which they want to watch later on TV. Superb.

TV-112.jpg

Last edited:

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Loved the England match episode where they're trying to avoid the result.

"All I know is I saw England F on a newspaper". Well, that's it, England failed.

After avoiding the score all day, it turned out to be "England flooded out!"

RIP to a comedy legend.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
RIP Bob.

One of favourite one-liners ever was when Bob came across Terry fishing.

Terry: "Pull up a seat, I'd offer you a can of beer but I've only got six" :lolol:

The episode where they tried to go a whole day without knowing the England football score was a classic as well.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
“Oh hello Thelma pet.”

RIP Rodney Bewes.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Mr Rodney RIP

Forever remembered for (whatever happened to) the Likely Lads but how many get to work with the great Basil Brush for a couple of years

tonyt

Feb 23, 2009
I remember the line when one of them was done for drink driving.
Blood or urine, they were asked at the police station when required to give a sample.
Neither, I’ll just have a cup of tea he said!

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Sad news.
Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads is/was one of my top five sitcoms

RIP Bob pet

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I totally share all the affectionate tributes to RB. I can recall The Likely Lads but this was a case of the sequel (Whatever Happened to ....) being much better than the original. James Bolam and RB played off each other superbly and the writing captured so much of its era beautifully. Just about my favourite sitcom.

The falling out between the two leads was mirrored in other sitcoms of that time: just as their characters were at daggers drawn on screen so Alf Garnett couldn't stand the 'Scouse git' in real life and Steptoe senior (Wilfred Bramble) didn't get on at all with Harry H Corbett. But Terry and Bob were mates on screen so it seems even more odd that they fell out!

Not sure that any series (or just about anything on TV) ever captured the 'mates' relationship so well. (James Bolam lives in a posh village in West Sussex these days; that seems odd too as he should be supping pints of mild and bitter in Gateshead or the like.)

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Great actor and the Likely Lads was classic comedy.

Sold him a train ticket many moons ago at Brighton station

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
A mate of mine became absolutely obsessed with Brigit Forsyth (Thelma) when she dressed up as a Pixie in one episode. ???

I see James Bolam now & again on the Train down to Billingshurst, I think he lives in Wisborough Green.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
That's very sad. All over something so trivial. I imagine he's feeling very sad tonight. Never go to sleep on an argument.

I didn't realise that James Bolam refused to allow repeats to be shown on terrestrial TV. Source Wiki.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A mate of mine became absolutely obsessed with Brigit Forsyth (Thelma) when she dressed up as a Pixie in one episode

I see James Bolam now & again on the Train down to Billingshurst, I think he lives in Wisborough Green.

He was not alone. To a 14 year old, this was erotica beyond description :lolol:

thelma.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here