• Yes

Votes: 264 97.1%
  • No

Votes: 8 2.9%

• Total voters

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Sorry, your boss publicly shames you when you do something wrong? Really?

The FA coming out and publicly criticising referees is a ridiculous idea, all it would do is put more pressure on them, meaning they'd just make more mistakes. And what does what they earn have to do with anything? Do you think Mason was deliberately putting in a poor performance last night? Or that he just had a bad day at the office, like we all do?

If the FA think he's done a bad job then they should deal with him privately, not burn him at the stake to satisfy some people moaning on the internet.

But that might be a good half-time entertainment crowd pleaser. Someone should mention it to Barber.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
7 people need to go to Specsavers

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It was interesting to note that the big screen showed neither that incident nor their first goal as at the time both were controversial. The goalscorer proved to be on side so no problem.

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
What we really need to get the game back on an even keel is for those cowardly blazers at the FA to come out and publicly criticise and punish referees who do not apply the laws of the game, are unfit, or are totally incompetent. I think Mason was all three of those yesterday.

Even Dermot Gallagher, who agreed it was a clear penalty, refused to criticise Mason; indeed he was making excuses for him and the assistant.

Referees are fulltime professionals now and have been for quite a while. They are extremely well remunerated. There are no excuses for Mason's display last night. He failed to do the job that he is well paid to do so why shouldn't he be censored and punished like the rest of us?!

I agree with all of this, why are refs exempt of any criticism? Everyone criticises teams, players and managers but refs seem to get away with it scott free for some ridiculous reason, last nights officials were shocking but face no punishment as far as I'm aware.
Am I right in thinking that if managers criticise them they get fined? What a joke!

biddles911

May 12, 2014
I feel Murray specializes in drawing fouls and when in the box he always goes down. This makes it difficult for referees to know if Murray is truly brought down or is going overboard to draw the penalty. We would have over criticized this referee if he had given Stoke a penalty if their striker had gone down mysteriously in front of Dunk instead of scoring his goal. We can't have it both ways. Murray needs to stay on his feet when possible and referees will be less likely to let a possible penalty be excused.

Agree with this. Mason had a crap game but I don’t entirely think he was at fault for not giving the penalty as Shawcross was pretty much blocking his view though the linesman should have seen it anyway.

Think Murray is a great goal poacher but he does commit a lot of fouls (most in Championship last season?) and I suspect refs don’t give him the benefit of the doubt because of his reputation.

Given that he should have got a red card afterwards don’t think he can complain too much.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Agree with this. Mason had a crap game but I don’t entirely think he was at fault for not giving the penalty as Shawcross was pretty much blocking his view though the linesman should have seen it anyway.

Think Murray is a great goal poacher but he does commit a lot of fouls (most in Championship last season?) and I suspect refs don’t give him the benefit of the doubt because of his reputation.

Given that he should have got a red card afterwards don’t think he can complain too much.....

Two things strike me about your post. Firstly a decent impartial ref should go into every game with an open unblinkered view of all players, and not judging on reputations.

Secondly, if Mason had done his job properly Murray would not have been put in the position to make such a rash challenge!

biddles911

May 12, 2014
Two things strike me about your post. Firstly a decent impartial ref should go into every game with an open unblinkered view of all players, and not judging on reputations.

Secondly, if Mason had done his job properly Murray would not have been put in the position to make such a rash challenge!

Agree with your first point but I wasn’t suggesting that it affected Mason’s decision re the penalty. Don’t think he got a clear enough view of it.

Don’t agree with your second point. Are you really suggesting that Murray was entitled to make a potentially leg breaking challenge just because he didn’t get a penalty!?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Yes

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Where the actual **** is the poll?

Its a 'no' from me.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It was interesting to note that the big screen showed neither that incident nor their first goal as at the time both were controversial. The goalscorer proved to be on side so no problem.

The big screens NEVER shows penalty decisions because of the potential controversy. And I'm pretty sure they never show the oppositions goals either.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I've watched this again and again several times now and even in super slo-mo and not once did the officials give a penalty - so the answer has to be No !

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Agree with your first point but I wasn’t suggesting that it affected Mason’s decision re the penalty. Don’t think he got a clear enough view of it.

Don’t agree with your second point. Are you really suggesting that Murray was entitled to make a potentially leg breaking challenge just because he didn’t get a penalty!?

No I'm not suggesting Murray was right, but he had a rush of blood to the head - a day not in a Coldplay way!!!

Unfortunately it has been seen many a time by players from miriad clubs and levels that a perceived injustice results in a rash challenge as some sort of recompense.

Murray was lucky and probably got away with it as the ref deep down maybe knew he had f'd up in some way...

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
watched an MLS game the other week where there was a contraversial decision. Was amazed to see the ref walk to the side of the pitch, look at a screen and reverse his decision. All in a matter of seconds.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
The big screens NEVER shows penalty decisions because of the potential controversy.

On a stadium tour last year they said that clubs, not just Brighton, don't show potentially controversial moments like that so as not to antagonise irate fans and therefore keep crowd trouble to a minimum (my wording as can't remember the exact wording used).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here