• No

Votes: 8 2.9%

• Total voters

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
RIDICULOUS non-decision on the penalty. My feeling on it was that he didn’t fancy giving it because then he’d have a decision to make on whether it was a red card as well (which it was, as Murray was in on goal). First he tried to “compromise” by awarding a corner, when the ball hadn’t even gone out. Then a goal kick, again, when the ball hadn’t even gone out. Then a word with the lino and eventually he settled on a handball against Murray, being as he grabbed the ball after he’d been fouled. Just an example of a ref digging himself into a terrible hole when the most obvious decision would have been the right one. Truly atrocious refereeing.

Wouldn’t have been a red, only a yellow.

Stonewall pen.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I thought there was no need for a red if a penalty is given and the foul isn't complete cheating/dangerous or something?

Yes I do remember there being mention of a "double jeopardy" ruling whereby a penalty is deemed sufficient punishment, with no red card for the offender. But its either been dropped or ignored, as I've seen plenty of red card penalties given.

IMO, if its a foul that prevents a goalscoring opportunity then it should still be a red card regardless, as there's no guarantee that the penalty will be scored, unless Hemed is taking it.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Yes definite pen.

Although I blame the FA in all this. The ref had a sh*t game, but the FA can do so much more to support the ref in decision making. A ten second look at the cameras from the back room team and there's no issue.

cirC

Jul 26, 2004
Tupnorth
It's been mentioned,Shawcross in an interview on Sky admitted it was a penalty,the ref thought otherwise.I'll go with Shawcross.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
From my view point in WSU it was a penalty all night long. If it were M City, Utd , Arsenal,Chelsea or Spurs it would've been given

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Yes I do remember there being mention of a "double jeopardy" ruling whereby a penalty is deemed sufficient punishment, with no red card for the offender. But its either been dropped or ignored, as I've seen plenty of red card penalties given.

IMO, if its a foul that prevents a goalscoring opportunity then it should still be a red card regardless, as there's no guarantee that the penalty will be scored, unless Hemed is taking it.
It's not a red if it was an attempt to play the ball - if you grab someone's shirt then it's a red if you mis-time a tackle (as Shawcross did) it's a yellow.

Should have been a pen and a yellow.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
I voted no.

Do I think it should have been a penalty? Yes. Unfortunately the fact is Mason didn't give it so it wasn't.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
What we really need to get the game back on an even keel is for those cowardly blazers at the FA to come out and publicly criticise and punish referees who do not apply the laws of the game, are unfit, or are totally incompetent. I think Mason was all three of those yesterday.

Even Dermot Gallagher, who agreed it was a clear penalty, refused to criticise Mason; indeed he was making excuses for him and the assistant.

Referees are fulltime professionals now and have been for quite a while. They are extremely well remunerated. There are no excuses for Mason's display last night. He failed to do the job that he is well paid to do so why shouldn't he be censored and punished like the rest of us?!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It's been mentioned,Shawcross in an interview on Sky admitted it was a penalty,the ref thought otherwise.I'll go with Shawcross.

Well, yes.

As the player himself has said it the poll is somewhat redundant.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Why shouldn't he be censored and punished like the rest of us?!

Sorry, your boss publicly shames you when you do something wrong? Really?

The FA coming out and publicly criticising referees is a ridiculous idea, all it would do is put more pressure on them, meaning they'd just make more mistakes. And what does what they earn have to do with anything? Do you think Mason was deliberately putting in a poor performance last night? Or that he just had a bad day at the office, like we all do?

If the FA think he's done a bad job then they should deal with him privately, not burn him at the stake to satisfy some people moaning on the internet.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
****ing obviously Yes... I can't believe anyone voted No TBH... Pal@rse trolls...

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Yes. Haven't seen a more clearcut penalty for a very long time. It's Stoke though so referees are used to being prepared to cut them some slack regularly with their physicality.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
What we really need to get the game back on an even keel is for those cowardly blazers at the FA to come out and publicly criticise and punish referees who do not apply the laws of the game, are unfit, or are totally incompetent. I think Mason was all three of those yesterday.

Even Dermot Gallagher, who agreed it was a clear penalty, refused to criticise Mason; indeed he was making excuses for him and the assistant.

Referees are fulltime professionals now and have been for quite a while. They are extremely well remunerated. There are no excuses for Mason's display last night. He failed to do the job that he is well paid to do so why shouldn't he be censored and punished like the rest of us?!

How is that going to help?

What the FA need to do is SUPPORT the refs so people actually want to become refs and the standards increase

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
How is that going to help?

What the FA need to do is SUPPORT the refs so people actually want to become refs and the standards increase

No no they should publicly SHAME them. That will really help with the standard.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Who remembers Murray's dive to win a pen at Rochdale? Dale fans behind the goal were going mad

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Put it this way- if it had happened anywhere else on the pitch it would have been given as a free kick. Shouldn't be viewed any differently by the ref just because it's in the area- a foul is a foul.

It was one of the weird games when a stonewall penalty probably didn't affect the result - Stoke decided not to attack us holding a narrow lead which was probably a tactical mistake on their part given how badly we were doing defensively

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here