Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jose Izquierdo

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Seems to be dividing opinions regarding his performance.

Personally, I thought he was our only real threat/outlet all game. Ok not everything he did came off, but he WAS causing problems for Stoke IMO.

I thought it was a very strange substitution bringing him off, if we had any intent on winning the game.

Did he have a knock? fatigued? - possible reasons I guess.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Personally, I thought he was our only real threat/outlet all game. Ok not everything he did came off, but he WAS causing problems for Stoke IMO.

I thought it was a very strange substitution bringing him off, if we had any intent on winning the game.

Yeah, I was one of those thought he was our main threat, and scared the life out of them, so much so they changed their tactics second half not only to protect their lead, but to deal with him.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008

Agree with some of the statements, his final ball seems to be lacking, seems to get mixed up with what's best to do with the ball.

Should never have come off when Knocky is still living on last seasons glory.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Stoke would have been happy with us pumping high balls into their box all night there was no way we were going to score that way however Jose scared the poo out of them being prepared to run at them, I also thought he was out most direct attacker last night and when Solly came on and Gross went off I would have liked Jose to move into the middle I think that would have caused them all sorts of problems

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
If everything he did came off, he wouldn't be playing for Brighton.

Thought he was one of our only real outlets, especially as an attacking threat to worry their defenders. Much better than Knockaert IMO.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Started really well. But I've noticed that he is on the end of quite a lot of b0ll0ckings from other players if he doesn't do what they want! I know this goes on all the time, but he does seem to cop it a lot more than other players.

To this end it seemed he was having doubts about whether to shoot or pass in key situations

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
I would have liked to have seen March come on for Knockaert. Jose and March running at them for the last half hour/twenty minutes would have caused a few problems.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Immensely talented player yet very frustrating.

Bong had to make long forays into opposition territory to connect to him. For that reason he was drifting out of the match at times.

I said he's the 'fibre optic' to Lua Lua''s 'dial up'. But Bong and Lua Lua connected the leads.

Could be a wonderful player but Hughton has to iron out his peripheral game.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Agree with some of the statements, his final ball seems to be lacking, seems to get mixed up with what's best to do with the ball.

Should never have come off when Knocky is still living on last seasons glory.

100% this.

Knocky definitely does not carry the threat he did last season as teams are far better and do not allow him the time and space to hurt them. I'm not sure his "tracking back" duties are enough to warrant picking him week after week imo.

Jose is a little bit like a rough diamond presently but he definitely presents a direct threat to Premier League teams. He's had a handful of games for us and is still settling in with his new teammates, surroundings etc. but I really like the way he's not afraid to get at people and create openings.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Immensely talented player yet very frustrating.

Bong had to make long forays into opposition territory to connect to him. For that reason he was drifting out of the match at times.

I said he's the 'fibre optic' to Lua Lua''s 'dial up'. But Bong and Lua Lua connected the leads.

Could be a wonderful player but Hughton has to iron out his peripheral game.

This with Knobs on! Real threat in the first half. Would liked to have seen him stay with Solly replacing knocky, who looked spent. Don't think you can knock Hughton though, I thought putting on our Spaghetti western replacement for Knocky was a good move as he can defend and looks good going forward.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Started really well. But I've noticed that he is on the end of quite a lot of b0ll0ckings from other players if he doesn't do what they want! I know this goes on all the time, but he does seem to cop it a lot more than other players.

To this end it seemed he was having doubts about whether to shoot or pass in key situations

I'm not convinced in any way that "other players" have any right to expect him to do what they want considering we have no superstars and ALL players are guilty of giving away possession and making basic errors in most games.

Lets hope this is not the case.

D

Deleted member 2719

I would have liked to have seen March come on for Knockaert. Jose and March running at them for the last half hour/twenty minutes would have caused a few problems.

I agree it seemed strange that Hughton didn't want to do that, why did he bring Gross off he is the one player i would definitely keep up as long he was fit and not looking like getting a red???
If Murray had missed timed one more tackle he would have been gone, he was so lucky to get away with a yellow.

I would have thought that Hemed having a run out would keep the competition on Murray and given Tomer a match sharpener at the same time and could have probably drawn a penalty off Shawcross as it was later in the match.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I'm not convinced in any way that "other players" have any right to expect him to do what they want considering we have no superstars and ALL players are guilty of giving away possession and making basic errors in most games.

Lets hope this is not the case.

I totally agree.. he just seems a little down at the mo.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I agree it seemed strange that Hughton didn't want to do that, why did he bring Gross off he is the one player i would definitely keep up as long he was fit and not looking like getting a red???
If Murray had missed timed one more tackle he would have been gone, he was so lucky to get away with a yellow.

I would have thought that Hemed having a run out would keep the competition on Murray and given Tomer a match sharpener at the same time and could have probably drawn a penalty off Shawcross as it was later in the match.

Agreed Mouldy but you always sense a goal in Murray and/or a red card. Perhaps he wants to rest Murray completely for the United game and bring him back for Palace. Giving Hemed and Izzy Brown starts may keep their match fitness and appetite to secure a first team start at a peak. But I agree with you Murray should have made way for someone to save a red card. But what do we know.....Murray does get under defenders skin and he is likely to win a game.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Currently limited to:
Explosive pace
Superb close control (when he remembers to have the ball)
Clean, hard sliding tackles when tracking back
One trick pony cutting in from the left to shoot with his right
A borderline telepathic connection with Propper

If he starts crossing he'll be very jolly good.

If he plays more centrally he could be our Thierry Henri

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003

Yep I noticed that too. Other players getting on his back seemed to affect his decision making.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
At the risk of adding 2 and 2 to make 5 could this be connected to his non celebration of his goal ? Or has that been explained elsewhere ? FWIW I am really enjoying his performances. Incredible speed and excellent close control.

I think his celebration has been taken out all context. Remember when Cantona scored a chip over the keeper into the top corner thenjust stood there, looked around with his collars up and milked it. Superb!!

Nobody questioned his "Non Celebration" as a sign he wasn't happy in any way.

I have no doubt Jose is a Quality signing. For me, he is what AK was for us in the championship.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here