Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Anthony Knackered?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
And on many occasions last night when he should have been on the wing waiting for a pass he was wandering around in the middle giving us no wide option.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If looking for a reason beyond 'playing better teams', I'd be more inclined to believe the loss of his father has caught up with him.

He spent most of last season fuelled by memories, grief and loss, channelling that into the only thing he can do.

Now that's reached it's natural conclusion...

...what next?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I'm reluctant to knock him because he is one of the main reasons that Brighton are in the PL - Good players will come good at some point in the season

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Seems scared to run at players at the moment, but he does lay off some good passes. Not the player he was in the Championship and too prone to moaning and throwing his arms in the air at the moment. Hope he comes good because I love him. His defensive contribution is very good though imo.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I thought all the players looked pretty knackered by the end of the game last night, including Stoke.

For Knockaert he made at least one very long sprint chasing the player/ball in the second half after he lost possession in Stokes half. Seemed to take him quite a while to get his breath back after that!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I would have subbed him with 20 minutes to go last night and brought on Solly , rather than take Izzy off.

We have a deep squad now so must use it.

TNBA

TTF

I said the same thing. I was baffled when Izquierdo was taken off rather than Knocky, even if Knocky had finally started to creep into the game a bit around ten mins before the subs were made. I would also have brought Murray off about ten mins before he was subbed, and replaced him with Hemed rather than Brown.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I said the same thing. I was baffled when Izquierdo was taken off rather than Knocky, even if Knocky had finally started to creep into the game a bit around ten mins before the subs were made. I would also have brought Murray off about ten mins before he was subbed, and replaced him with Hemed rather than Brown.

I aint Murray's biggest fan but I thought he was superb last night

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Let's not be so quick to write off a player who was the best player in the league last year. Being in Coventry I'm a bit of an armchair fan, having only seen us play Saints in person and watched us play B'muff, West Ham and Stoke on the tele. From what I've seen, I think Anthony is trying to find his place in this year's team. Last year, he was the creator. He was the playmaker. It was quite simply, "give the ball to Anthony and see what he does with it." This year, he's not. Gross is our playmaker. Whereas Baldock was very much a striker, Gross has come in and is the man who the ball is given to to make things happen. I think Anthony is still trying to figure out his place, highlighted last night by him being anywhere other than the right hand side. I'm not sure if Hughton has told him to drift inside and make runs into the box, but from my plush position as armchair manager, maybe he'd do better sticking out on the right more. Add in better defenders and being double marked, and Knocky has a bloody hard job.

That being said, he's selfless. He's trying to keep the ball alive and make a simple pass, rather than taking on two defenders and inevitably losing it. He's working hard. And he had a really good game against West Ham. Let's not be so quick to forget that Anthony has always been a bit like this. First 20 minutes of a game dictates the rest. If it's going for him at the start then he'll play a blinder, if it's not it's really not. It was the same last year, so we shouldn't be concerned in my opinion.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I aint Murray's biggest fan but I thought he was superb last night

He was indeed, but he was properly knackered about 5-10 minutes before he was subbed. There was a point a couple of mins before being subbed where he didn't have the energy to track back and retrieve a very winnable 50-50 and it was obvious to me at that point that his game was up.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
There was a reason why Leicester got rid of him !!

What was that then? As they offered Knocky a new contract but he turned it down to join Standard Liege as it meant he was closer to his Dad after his illness was diagnosed.

I agree he hasn’t been at his best in the last couple of games, think he’s getting frustrated it’s not clicking for him. He has one moment where he got into space and had a chance to run last night, but most of our play was going down the left last night.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I think one thing people are missing is that simply having Knockaert on the pitch adds a huge amount to our game, because of how he occupies opposition players.

He's not contributing as much directly because he's being doubled up on for most of the game, that's bad for him but a positive is that it freed up Izquierdo on the other side. Some of our best attacks came from Stephens looking right, Stoke sending two or three men to close down Knockaert, then picking out Izquierdo all on his lonesome on the left wing.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Teams double up against him, hes still doing great for me.

It frees up our other winger like last night, happy days.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The Bruno / Knocky partnership wasn't there Monday night. Don't think there was a single pass between them in the first half.

There was one point in the second half when (I think) Stephens had the ball in midfield, looked up at where he assumed Knocky or Bruno would be out wide, MARAUDING forward, and there was just a big empty space.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I think in fairness to him, rather predictably, most teams seem to tactically focus on him, often doubling up and strangling his flairtastic ability. Though this is annoying, it often leaves our other winger with a lot more space and time and is probably one of the reasons that both March and José have looked so dangerous so far this season.

His defensive work however, has been really good in my opinion. He often spends time behind Bruno and, though I'd love to see him skinning players and scoring goals, I've not been disappointed by his work rate or team play at all.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Was at Swansea where he had a great game. Not happening every week but he is targeted by opposition managers and is often doubled up on in defence.

I LOVE football and all of the opinions. I thought, aside from the solitary cross, he was awful at Swansea, gave the ball away on countless occasions.

Similar to the game at Preston last year where he and Bruno did not function together at all, lots of poor passing and we got duffed up 2 nothing. Fortunately Swansea are worse than Preston were, and we are better now in general.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here