Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Home form

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We've played the four teams immediately above the relegation zone at home, and won 1. That's not a great return.

BUT - none of those four teams would expect to be where they are, and in part are, exactly BECAUSE they failed to beat #teamslikebrighton

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We are definitely in a false position unfortunately. We have played only 3 of the 8 teams above us, and managed 1 point (away to Watford), and now we've got 6 of our next 8 fixtures against current top 8 teams. That means we do indeed need to smash the NigeIs up the road. We probably also need to beat Huddersfield away and find a point or two from some of the other games (maybe Watford and Burnley at home?).

Tough run of games, would like us to be on a good 22 points by the time we travel to Newcastle. That is 7 points from those 8 games, which you fancy has to include 2 wins somewhere, and a draw or 2. Quietly confident we can get that, and maybe it will be in a surprise game.

Stumpy Tim

BUT - none of those four teams would expect to be where they are, and in part are, exactly BECAUSE they failed to beat #teamslikebrighton

Only Everton would have had serious ambitions loftier than being in the usual pack avoiding relegation... maybe West Ham, but that's arrogance as they're a regular YoYo team. Even Southampton would have been nervous at the beginning of the season - new manager, best player basically on strike...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Only Everton would have had serious ambitions loftier than being in the usual pack avoiding relegation... maybe West Ham, but that's arrogance as they're a regular YoYo team. Even Southampton would have been nervous at the beginning of the season - new manager, best player basically on strike...

Southampton have changed manager pretty much every season for the last 4 haven't they? They finished 8th last season, 6th in 2016, 7th in 2015, 8th in 2014!!

I mean seriously, you're looking at Southampton as a team we should be beating, an establish top flight team with top 8 finishes in the last 3 seasons, with european experience. Maybe we're ready for the next level already...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Even Southampton would have been nervous at the beginning of the season - new manager, best player basically on strike...

Nonsense Tim.

Southampton sacked the manager at the end of last season because they finished EIGHTH (and got to a cup final).

The club and ALL of their fans - I'm surrounded by the bell-ends - genuinely were targeting European qualification.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
What should be a concern is the poor defending at home last night. Southampton's goal was just one of those things, while Everton's was an individual aberration. But we not only looked shaky at set plays against Stoke but also gave them far too much space in midfield.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nonsense Tim.

Southampton sacked the manager at the end of last season because they finished EIGHTH (and got to a cup final).

The club and ALL of their fans - I'm surrounded by the bell-ends - genuinely were targeting European qualification.
That sounds familiar.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Stoke outmuscled and intimidated us - kcfu knows what’ll happpen at Man U!!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Nonsense Tim.

Well, there was also the extremely boring football and the fact that many of the players hated Puel. And quite why they thought European qualification was a possibility for them this season is beyond me. You're talking about a team that has failed to score in 10 of their last 13 home games.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Stoke outmuscled and intimidated us - kcfu knows what’ll happpen at Man U!!

We know exactly what will happen at Utd.
The Albion will play 'don't lose' football and lose 2-0.
The only difference is this time, with palace on Tuesday, it'll be the correct approach to playing a top 6 side.

Our only hope is that Utd enjoyed themselves so much v Newcastle they'll think they only have to turn up to win.
The only problem is the Albion won't turn up and try to win, catching them cold early in the game.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well, there was also the extremely boring football and the fact that many of the players hated Puel. And quite why they thought European qualification was a possibility for them this season is beyond me. You're talking about a team that has failed to score in 10 of their last 13 home games.

Well that too, of course.

Most amusing that they've gone from 'dull but capable of grinding out results' to 'dull and shit', with the managerial change.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Just because Everton, Southampton and Stoke at home are winnable games, it doesn't mean we're going to win them all or even that we need to win them all. All these teams still see Brighton as one of their most winnable away games. If you look at the last three home games alone I would agree that three points is slightly disappointing. I'd have been happy with five. But we've got two away wins in that time. I don't care who they were against, the fact is away wins are invaluable to a newly-promoted team and I didn't really expect us to get two all season, let alone by November. So you have to see it as nine points from the last five games, which is absolutely outstanding.

I think some people need to realise that we don't have to win every home game and that draws are useful to a team aiming for survival. We've only lost two of our last 10 in the Premier League - this is amazing! Keeping the points tally ticking over not only gets us closer to 40 points, it ensures we avoid the pressure and loss of confidence that comes with a losing run. We're also five unbeaten at home, which should have given our players belief that we can compete with anyone at home and will hopefully see us remain a hard game for any team outside the top six. We are going to lose games and we will lose some against bottom half teams. It's to be expected in a league where 14 teams are so closely matched, but as long as we are picking up points (even draws) fairly frequently we are on track.

Looking ahead, the next five are obviously an awful lot tougher than the last five. If we can take four points that would be superb and more than enough to keep us on track. Even if we only take one or two it's not the end of the world bearing in mind who we're playing, although we would then need some good results against Burnley and Watford at home to keep us ahead of the required rate at halfway.

Excellent balanced post (from a poster who has had his own moments of over-reaction in the distant past).

Agree with every word, and add that the 2 points each of Everton, Stoke and Saints also 'dropped' may yet prove valuable to us.

I'd also add, that whilst 3 points from a run of 3 'winnable' home games is a little under par, why look at it as a run of just three anyway? Include West Brom and Newcastle, as a run of 5 similarly winnable home games, and it becomes a far more agreeable NINE points from 5.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This is exactly why we need to invest heavily in a striker in January (and should have done so pre-season). It's all very well being hard to break down, but need to start converting these home draws into wins. Murray can't do it all by himself.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Just because Everton, Southampton and Stoke at home are winnable games, it doesn't mean we're going to win them all or even that we need to win them all. All these teams still see Brighton as one of their most winnable away games. If you look at the last three home games alone I would agree that three points is slightly disappointing. I'd have been happy with five. But we've got two away wins in that time. I don't care who they were against, the fact is away wins are invaluable to a newly-promoted team and I didn't really expect us to get two all season, let alone by November. So you have to see it as nine points from the last five games, which is absolutely outstanding.

I think some people need to realise that we don't have to win every home game and that draws are useful to a team aiming for survival. We've only lost two of our last 10 in the Premier League - this is amazing! Keeping the points tally ticking over not only gets us closer to 40 points, it ensures we avoid the pressure and loss of confidence that comes with a losing run. We're also five unbeaten at home, which should have given our players belief that we can compete with anyone at home and will hopefully see us remain a hard game for any team outside the top six. We are going to lose games and we will lose some against bottom half teams. It's to be expected in a league where 14 teams are so closely matched, but as long as we are picking up points (even draws) fairly frequently we are on track.

Looking ahead, the next five are obviously an awful lot tougher than the last five. If we can take four points that would be superb and more than enough to keep us on track. Even if we only take one or two it's not the end of the world bearing in mind who we're playing, although we would then need some good results against Burnley and Watford at home to keep us ahead of the required rate at halfway.

Absolutely spot on. Do not disagree with a word of that.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Superb post

Stumpy Tim

Nonsense Tim.

Ok maybe Southampton. I had them marked down pre-season exactly because they keep sacking their manager, so they're bell ends for expecting anything more

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

You are very much spot on about away wins. Middlesboro only won away game all season last year. That win came in their very first away fixture in August. They went all those months without another win. That's how tough it can be to get 3 away points.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here