Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Fan expected to be banned for an "obscene gesture" that we've all done many times

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
I agree with everything you write but just to add that I don't know which club this fan supports and apologies if I've given the impression that it's a Brighton fan.

No need to apologise at all! I assumed from the tweet that the viewer wrote to the 'home' club to complain, which I thought suggested that the offender was a Brighton fan, but reading it again I realised it probably wasn't the case. My point, however, is less about Brighton, but fans in general. There is a place for removing offensive gestures in football, but we're talking racism, bigotry, sexism, homophobia etc. but punishing individuals for mild offences with no respect for the heat of the moment, the thousands of fans off camera probably doing far worse things...there's an especially nasty, Orwellian undercurrent to it all.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Don't be such a ****. I'm left wing and I was giving the finger to the Stokies tonight. Get your head out of your arse. You Tory Wanker (I use the term advisedly rather than as an oxymoron, which it isn't).

Back to planet Earth, The OP's post is correct. The whiney tit who complained from his sofa is probably the same brain dead moron who reported us a few years ago for chanting 'Sieg Heil!', as heard on the radio commentary. "Seagulls!". It was Seagulls. FFS. :facepalm:

The brain dead moron wasn't listening to a radio commentary, he was at the ground (Millwall), because he also reported us for nazi salutes at the same time.
Think how we point when we get a corner, & chant Seagulls.

We did get reported for racist chanting to Craig Bellamy, by a sofa fan, who thought Sea Sea Seasiders, was accusing the Welsh of shagging sheep. That was on Sky.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The brain dead moron wasn't listening to a radio commentary, he was at the ground (Millwall), because he also reported us for nazi salutes at the same time.
Think how we point when we get a corner, & chant Seagulls.

We did get reported for racist chanting to Craig Bellamy, by a sofa fan, who thought Sea Sea Seasiders, was accusing the Welsh of shagging sheep. That was on Sky.

Evening. I can only assume this has happened twice because the time I recall it we were not in the same division as the dock thieves, and I distinctly recall it being someone listening to a commntary who complained.

We are a marked club, with our racist, sexist, homophobic supporters. :wozza::lolol::bigwave:

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Absolutely bollox, over reaction and all part of this snowflake, left wing do good, look at my I’m different, look at me I’m different generation. I despair for the future, thank the lord we won’t have live match day cameras on the fans next Tuesday down here....

Both Brighton and Palace would be thrown banning orders left right and centre.

Absolute bollox, Over reaction and all part of this I'm alright jack, right wing baby boomer, look at me I've worked hard, bloody kids generation. I despair for the future. :dunce:

Surely some kind of Mary Whitehouse (remember her?) type watching at home more like. Whatever, a complete joke.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Evening. I can only assume this has happened twice because the time I recall it we were not in the same division as the dock thieves, and I distinctly recall it being someone listening to a commntary who complained.

We are a marked club, with our racist, sexist, homophobic supporters. :wozza::lolol::bigwave:

I'm sure there is something about it in Tim Carder's Seagulls! And in that case an actual investigation by the police that went on months before they twigged.

I think the later one was a journalist?

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Just the thought of somebody actually being so offended that they write to the club to complain makes me despair of the human race. I mean, seriously, what kind of sad ******* really has so little going on in their life that they have the time and inclination to do that?

If I got banned from the Amex for a reason like that I would never go to football every again. It would be completely and utterly dead to me. Why can’t the club be brave enough to reply saying “Football is an emotional game and we don’t want to take that out of it. Sometimes people get carried away, and if you are the sort of person that gets offended by this, then we recommend you watch from the family stand.”

If someone is offended from watching on the TV then so ****ing what? They can turn the TV off. I genuinely feel pity for someone who would actually take the time to complain about this. What a sad and pitiful existence they must live in.

You only have to watch sky and as soon as an offensive word is chanted they apologise. It's a football match where emotions run high and bad language is used. If people are offended by this then I suggest they stay away and cancel their sky sports package.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Of course this is a bit bizarre and wrong, but all it needs it TV companies to edit it out before transmission -MOTD isn't live, so very do-able, and i'm sure SKY already fade out 'Referee's a wanker' and 'You're Shit Aggghhh..' so they just wont pan to the crowd so much, or put on 5 sec delay to the whole thing.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Of course this is a bit bizarre and wrong, but all it needs it TV companies to edit it out before transmission -MOTD isn't live, so very do-able, and i'm sure SKY already fade out 'Referee's a wanker' and 'You're Shit Aggghhh..' so they just wont pan to the crowd so much, or put on 5 sec delay to the whole thing.

Rowdey by name, far too reasonable by nature :wink:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Bad fan and watched the game on tv last night! Based on the above and what I saw there could be up to 30 banning orders this morning including some ladies [emoji23]

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

No, as I wasn't well last night, I watched via Now Tv, and heard both clearly.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Indeed. I remember the Millwall situation, because it was a journalist, and I was one of those at the game.

sahel

Jan 24, 2014
Why would anyone over 12 be making these gestures? That's the worry.

Hear hear !

First point - not in my name please. I have never made that gesture to anyone anywhere so it is not "something we have all done"

Second point - it is a rude malicious insulting childish gesture and the world would be a better place without it

Should the fan be banned?. No, sent on a course with others guilty of the same and similar so that they can be educated not to do it again. A bit like the speeding course

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I quite like an old-school “masturbatory gesture”. I think they’re more comical than offensive or threatening. They’re even better when done from a position of complete safety. Mooning is a dying art as well.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Absolutely bollox, over reaction and all part of this snowflake, left wing do good, look at my I’m different, look at me I’m different generation. I despair for the future, thank the lord we won’t have live match day cameras on the fans next Tuesday down here....

What a load of ****ing shite, why on earth are you trying to make this a political thing for? People on the right are just as snowflaky as people on the left, just about different stuff. Blaming one side of politics for this kind of shit is not only inaccurate but it is also unhelpful.

Both Brighton and Palace would be thrown banning orders left right and centre.

That's better. :lolol:

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Mooning is a dying art as well.

After you.

(Actually that reminds me of one of the picture in More Than 90 Minutes. Some young whippersnappers mooning fans on the bus after yet another away defeat no doubt)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here