Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Start Hemed and Solly at United

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
while I don't think we will get anything on Sat (still having bet at 22/1 though) don't think wholesale changes are good,agree Solly in for Kockie who has been very poor,but if we are to be beaten then at end of season goal difference may play a part

Jospeh

Oct 28, 2016
There's a lot of talk on here of players being tired and needing a rest. There was 16 days between Swansea and Stoke and it's not like many players were playing on international duty. Last night should have been the freshest game of the season. We might just be seeing who is capable of playing Premier League football and who isn't up for it, for whatever reason (e.g. Bruno age).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
There's a lot of talk on here of players being tired and needing a rest. There was 16 days between Swansea and Stoke and it's not like many players were playing on international duty. Last night should have been the freshest game of the season. We might just be seeing who is capable of playing Premier League football and who isn't up for it, for whatever reason (e.g. Bruno age).

Its a fair point, but as regards Bruno, he was still charging up and down that flank in injury time last night. The bloke is a freak of nature, he's fitter than a butchers mutt and never seems to be blowing it out of his arse. He's almost never injured either, which tells its own tale. His performances are defying his age IMO, I have no concerns about him at the moment.

That said, I'd give Murray a break on Saturday as 3 games in a week (with the 3rd being Palace) is a big ask for him. I want him at his sharpest against the filth next week, and Hemed could do with a runout anyway.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Pogba, Lukaku, Martial

all pretty good, don't think they'd improve us much

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The game against Palace is a 6 pointer. They are clearly relegation rivals, whereas Utd aren't. It's irrelevant to us how many points Utd end the season with, but denying Palace points next Tuesday is important. So no, it being a home game is not the only difference.

On top of that is the realistic expectation from the game. We're 22-1 to beat Utd. Of course whichever team we play will try and cause an upset, but it's unlikely we'll get anything from the game. We have a much better chance against Palace, so it's more important we have the best team available to take that chance.

That's purely based on what's best for our chances of survival this season, without taking into account that we'd like to do well against Palace.

Thanks for that, I really couldn't be bothered, because I knew what would happen.
Sure enough, 'rarely wrong' strikes again, despite obviously being very wrong.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Players don't need a rest having 16 days between matches.
But I'm yet to see a game where any Albion player hasn't looked physically, and dare I say even mentally, knackered at the end.

We ain't rolling up, trotting around and collecting 3 points, 90 minutes later, any more.
This is big boys football and that going to take some time, and rotation, to adjust too.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Its a fair point, but as regards Bruno, he was still charging up and down that flank in injury time last night. The bloke is a freak of nature, he's fitter than a butchers mutt and never seems to be blowing it out of his arse. He's almost never injured either, which tells its own tale. His performances are defying his age IMO, I have no concerns about him at the moment.

That said, I'd give Murray a break on Saturday as 3 games in a week (with the 3rd being Palace) is a big ask for him. I want him at his sharpest against the filth next week, and Hemed could do with a runout anyway.

I want to see the new combinations develop so for me, unless injured, you don't touch Propper - Stephens - Gross or Bong - Izquierdo right now.

I don't think you touch the back 4, but given Bruno had back issues and missed Watford and Bournemouth earlier in the season, I wouldn't be surprised if he was rested.

I'd be more than happy to see March and Hemed start at Old Trafford, but then again, I don't think we'd be weakened if they started Tuesday night either, in fact I'd say March is probably forcing himself ahead of Knockeart. IMHO you have to carry on playing Izquierdo with the impact he's having, the more he plays the better.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I want to see the new combinations develop so for me, unless injured, you don't touch Propper - Stephens - Gross or Bong - Izquierdo right now.

I don't think you touch the back 4, but given Bruno had back issues and missed Watford and Bournemouth earlier in the season, I wouldn't be surprised if he was rested.

I'd be more than happy to see March and Hemed start at Old Trafford, but then again, I don't think we'd be weakened if they started Tuesday night either, in fact I'd say March is probably forcing himself ahead of Knockeart. IMHO you have to carry on playing Izquierdo with the impact he's having, the more he plays the better.

Agree with all of that.

We've used 19 players so far this season - only Burnley (17) and Leicester (18) have used fewer. Its definitely a factor in our accomplished start to life at this level. I'm a big believer in consistent team selection to allow those partnerships to form and flourish all over the pitch. We've got a heavy spell of games coming up though, so some rotation is inevitable, plus the injuries and suspensions that will come along too. But keep the changes to a practical minimum as much as possible IMO.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
It's not that I think Glenn or Knocky had bad games

Well I do. There, I've said it.

I think Murray should be kept out, keep him sharp for the big game next Tuesday. Knocky isn't delivering right now, March looks the better option.

I think most of us would agree that Knocky hasn't performed this year like we know he can, he seems a bit of a shadow of the player he was last season.

No doubt most of that is down to (a) better defenders and (b) us not being able to attack and dominate sides as much we did last season.

But he does worry me sometimes; when things aren't going absolutely right for him he does seem to try too hard and sometimes gets a bit carried away. He lunged in twice on players last night; he didn't actually foul eitrher player but he was out of control both times, and if he had connected on either occasion both would have been a sending off offence.

So I'm concerned that he might get a bit carried away against Palace. I'm sure CH and his team will have talked to him about this and hopefully they can help him improve and play with his head rather than his heart.

Also I hope they are also working on his defensive duties; again he tries hard but often he doesn't defend well.

Solly March was like this last season, I got worried every time he went into our penalty area but he has improved immensley this year, no doubt down to help from CH and the team. But all credit to Solly, he's a better all round player now.

Hopefully they can work the same magic with Knocky

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Agree with all of that.

We've used 19 players so far this season - only Burnley (17) and Leicester (18) have used fewer. Its definitely a factor in our accomplished start to life at this level. I'm a big believer in consistent team selection to allow those partnerships to form and flourish all over the pitch. We've got a heavy spell of games coming up though, so some rotation is inevitable, plus the injuries and suspensions that will come along too. But keep the changes to a practical minimum as much as possible IMO.

Another point is we've played 5 less games than the Championship already. We have a rest every time its European week. Depending on the FA Cup, our first team may only play 41 or so games (let's hope for a few more!) this season, compared with the 50 or so we've been used to in recent years.

I don't think we should go into any game either with a mindset we're going to lose so we'll make lots of changes thinking about the game after. You start targeting games like Palace for example, you ratchet up the pressure on that result, and that is when you fall on your arse. I think that is what happened to Swansea against us, professional footballers shouldn't be smashing dead balls and crosses that far out of play as much as they did, their whole performance looked like a side that had us down as their turnaround game. Make a few changes because players need a rest Saturday, but don't do it because you're thinking about Tuesday's result more than Saturday's, make them because they are needed, not because of the opposition.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Solly March was like this last season, I got worried every time he went into our penalty area but he has improved immensley this year, no doubt down to help from CH and the team. But all credit to Solly, he's a better all round player now.

What has impressed me this season is his strength.
He out-muscled a couple of their big lumps yesterday with ease.

I would have him in for Knocky right now, with knocky coming on as the impact sub for whichever winger is weakening.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Put the youth team out against Palace. Good experience for them.

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
Agree with Solly for Knocky - he also went missing once or twice last night, Bruno had the ball with no-one to pass too as Knocky had drifted way into the middle. I could definitely see Hughton making a couple of other changes too.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Don’t disagree with anything you’ve said ..but I doubt any of our players will fancy taking a rest this coming Saturday ..playing at places like Old Trafford will be the stuff made of dreams for many if not all

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I think most of us would agree that Knocky hasn't performed this year like we know he can, he seems a bit of a shadow of the player he was last season.

No doubt most of that is down to (a) better defenders and (b) us not being able to attack and dominate sides as much we did last season.

But he does worry me sometimes; when things aren't going absolutely right for him he does seem to try too hard and sometimes gets a bit carried away. He lunged in twice on players last night; he didn't actually foul eitrher player but he was out of control both times, and if he had connected on either occasion both would have been a sending off offence.

So I'm concerned that he might get a bit carried away against Palace. I'm sure CH and his team will have talked to him about this and hopefully they can help him improve and play with his head rather than his heart.

Also I hope they are also working on his defensive duties; again he tries hard but often he doesn't defend well.

Hopefully they can work the same magic with Knocky
I think the Greyhound will start in place of Knocky. Gives Bruno some extra cover against what will be a pacy left sided Man U attacker. ( Rashford/ Martial). Keeps Knocky nice and sharp for Palace. I think that the criticism of Knocky is a bit unfair. Stoke blocked him out with two defenders on Monday every time the ball came his way. This is why Izquierdo had more space on the left. Hopefully, as Izquierdo's profile rises teams will balance up their defence and Knocky will get more room. He's certainly been marked out as our danger man, and getting a lot of attention. It's also true that when we do go forward we don't commit too many players which reduces his options and so gives him less space. He's still scored one against Everton which could/should have been the winner and made the assist for the winning goal at Swansea which could be a vital three points.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Ryan

Bruno
Duffy
Dunk
Bong

Schelotto
Stephens
Pröpper