Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Glen Murray pen claim

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Guardian stated “it was the exact definition of a penalty”. Case closed.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
While it was clearly a pen, just watching the highlights this morning and did enjoy Craig Bellamy's comment: "What impressed me was how slow the race was for the ball from those two...it took forever."

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I txted my mate during the game who was home watching it on the box and asked 'pen'? His immediate reply was 'no'.

Taking off my rose tinted specs, if you watch the replay again you can see that Shawcross made the slightest touch (which is why he admits it was a pen) but Murray throws his other (right) leg out in a blatent attempt to milk it. I saw the right leg bit from my seat in WU and my immediate thought, confirmed by my mate's text, was no pen.

So, yes it was a pen, but it wasn't given because the theatrics deceived the eye, counter to their intent.

I wonder what Murray's trajectory would have been had he not gone to ground. My guess is he and Shawcross would have slo mod into touch, like two exhausted dads doing the dad egg and spoon race at sports day.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Not anymore it isn’t - if a genuine attempt to win the call (which it was). Should have been a pen and a yellow

Correct. Although it annoys me that a card even has to be given in that situation - it's a shit rule.

A penalty alone ought to be the correct decision, unless there is cynicism or gamesmanship on show. Shawcross made a valid attempt to tackle Murray but fouled him. Penalty all day long of course, but how that warrants a card I don't know.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
great gifs

The first one particularly good as you see the ref jogging into view and completely bottling it

I thought it showed you that the ref was nowhere near and probably totally unsighted. Mrs DiS, who was watching it on the telly commented how fat and presumably unfit Lee Mason is. The Saints don't like him either.

Apparently the "retired ref" on Sky (don't know who it was) said the ref woas unsighted and the linesman would have been looking for offside, so would have other things on his mind. Not sure I totally buy that, though.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Anybody know if there's any sort punitive action taken in instances like this?

Mason should be hauled up in front of some sort of panel, made to watch that repeatedly before explaining just what the f**k he thought he was doing. Then relegate him to 4th official duties. For a month. In the Vanarama National League.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
No cards, just a pen. Open and shut case. It’s just a foul. If it was outside the box it would have been given.

To be fair to LM he had a terrible view of it and the linesman should have seen it, but in any case it’s a shocking decision.

Mason will feel he “levelled it up” when he didn’t send off Murray as well, like he’s done us a favour. Can’t help but feel a bit robbed but if you defend like that you don’t deserve to win.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Correct. Although it annoys me that a card even has to be given in that situation - it's a shit rule.

A penalty alone ought to be the correct decision, unless there is cynicism or gamesmanship on show. Shawcross made a valid attempt to tackle Murray but fouled him. Penalty all day long of course, but how that warrants a card I don't know.

A yellow card doesn't have to be given, just that it isn't a mandatory red now if the player is the last man and making a genuine attempt at the ball. The ref could have just given the penalty and no further action.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The outcry would have been far greater if we had lost the game...

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Just another example of how PL referees favour the established PL teams and the players they know as "mates". Not the first time this season (although perhaps the most blatant so far) and I bet it won't be the last.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Well if the ref didnt think it was a foul thus penalty which it was IMO then Murray should have got booked for deliberate handball should he not?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here