Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dale Stephens

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
Fletcher was tasked with Gross most of the game and sat deep. Sobhi played wide with Diouf the other side, looking like reluctant wing-backs. With Fletcher behind, Allen and Shaqiri did occupy that space between the central midfielder and winger which did make it difficult, especially first half. I don't think they were outnumbered as you say, but they both played very well.

From where I was sitting it looked like Stoke played 3 at the back (Wimmer, Shawcross, Zouma) to cover Murray and Gross, with Pieters and Diouf as the 2 wing backs tasked to cover Knockaert and Izquierdo. They played 4 in central midfield, (Shaquiri, Fletcher, Allen and Sobhi - admitededly Fletcher was the deeper of the 4) with Choupo Moting playing alone up front. Just shows how sitting in different seats can make fans see the game differently.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
From where I was sitting it looked like Stoke played 3 at the back (Wimmer, Shawcross, Zouma) to cover Murray and Gross, with Pieters and Diouf as the 2 wing backs tasked to cover Knockaert and Izquierdo. They played 4 in central midfield, (Shaquiri, Fletcher, Allen and Sobhi - admitededly Fletcher was the deeper of the 4) with Choupo Moting playing alone up front. Just shows how sitting in different seats can make fans see the game differently.

Definitely 3 at the back, but they were a bit unbalanced as Diouf didn't really give much cover especially first half where Izquierdo enjoyed plenty of space and played more like a winger without a full back behind, whereas I felt Sobhi played almost as a conventional winger in front of Pieters at times, hence Knockeart/Bruno seemed to have far less space/joy than Izquierdo/Bong. I think they changed this a bit second half when they realised Izquierdo was more of a danger than Knockeart. Gross always looked to play in front of the back 3, hence I thought Fletcher was the one tasked with dealing with him a lot of the time. I guess I just didn't see Propper / Stephens outnumbered as such. The clash of tactics certainly led to a really open game, especially first half.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
Agree
Can’t remrmber his last good game until tonight
IMMENSE
Propper as well next to him

A remarkable lack of understanding of the game if you can't remember the last good performance Stephens had. Really developing into a top quality midfielder. Agree with those that said he's benefiting from playing with Proper.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

They played a 3421 in the same mould as Chelski's title winning side from last year. It was a very sensible tactic against us as it allowed them to overrun us in wide areas, despite initially appearing to be light there due to the 2v1. But with the right and left CBs and Shaqiri and Sobhi often aiding the wing backs, it often became a 3v2 in their favour, whilst also allowing the opposing man of the two and the opposing wing back to offer options for the crosser. It also meant that defensively they could use Shaqiri and/or Sobhi to bulk up the midfield area, so that they weren't overrun by Gross, Stephens and Propper. It exposed our formation very well I thought.

Scunner

Feb 26, 2012
Near Heathfield
I really hope players don't read some of this stuff, what would you rather a player that takes risks with his passes or one that never does? What was exciting about Stephens' performance last night was that he played many more forward and sharper passes than we are used to. Sure a couple went long or astray but I would rather that than boring predictability any day, because that is what wins games and provides spectacle. Poor? have a word with yourself!

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I thought he started well, but got shown up, like most of our team by that midget Shaqiri. I was glad when he went off. Someone needed to clatter him early on, no one got near him all game.

Shaqiri was the best player on the pitch by some distance. He never gave a ball away once, knew where everyone was even players behind him. Played some superb passes and just floated all over the pitch so he was impossible to mark. No idea why Hughes took him off. I was glad he did.
Stephens was mom for me. Propper, Jose, Murray, Bong all played well, as did Dunk apart from the first goal. But Bruno was blowing heavy in the last 20 and Knockaert is just not himself. We aren’t having that impact down the right we usually have. I’d like to see Scholletto play RB with Knockaert ahead on the wing.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
Seemed to be a deliberate Stoke tactic to give Stephen's plenty of space and time on the ball. I think they thought he wouldn't thread through those killer passes. Overall, they were right but still a very good performance by Dale.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Shaqiri was the best player on the pitch by some distance. He never gave a ball away once, knew where everyone was even players behind him. Played some superb passes and just floated all over the pitch so he was impossible to mark. No idea why Hughes took him off. I was glad he did.
I must admit I didnt notice any of what you say as I thought that Stephens and Propper completely dominated the midfield hence Stoke relying on route one hit and hope balls. I am glad I dont have to watch them every week, well I just wouldnt, awful team with no skill or football at all from any player. Their best player was no 10 who scored their 2nd goal but he was not on the same planet as Stephens and Propper. I am sure many formed their impression of Shaqiri based on what they expected not what he actually did.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I must admit I didnt notice any of what you say as I thought that Stephens and Propper completely dominated the midfield hence Stoke relying on route one hit and hope balls. I am glad I dont have to watch them every week, well I just wouldnt, awful team with no skill or football at all from any player. Their best player was no 10 who scored their 2nd goal but he was not on the same planet as Stephens and Propper. I am sure many formed their impression of Shaqiri based on what they expected not what he actually did.

:moo:

https://www.specsavers.co.uk

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Superb. So was Propper. Murray led the line excellently. Bong was good and pushed forward at every opportunity.

Bruno had another poor one unfortunately. Love that man but is the end nigh? He's been better away than at home for a short while now, has he got the legs to go up and down the wing for 90 minutes at premier league pace?

I agree Bruno wasn't at his best last night; however, I thought he was one of the few from both sides who was still going strong stamina wise at the latter stages of the match

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sorry - I just can't let that go.

Did you actually watch the game?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes but was more impressed by what Stephens and Propper were doing to completely dominate and run the midfield. I only really notice opponents if they are causing us problem and the only ones causing problems were their 7ft giants.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel

You've reached the point where you have to be on a wind-up, you just have to be.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If as you suggest he was doing so much and playing so well why did Hughes take him off and send Crouch on, in your opinion?

It is worth noting that in The Sun their reporter gave their No 10 the top marks for their team as in fact I said earlier I thought that he was their best player. Obviously their football reporter knows nothing about the game and needs to go to Spec Savers with me.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here