Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dale Stephens

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If as you suggest he was doing so much and playing so well why did Hughes take him off and send Crouch on, in your opinion?
Because Crouch has a well-deserved reputation for coming on late on as a sub and grabbing something. Nobody questioned bringing Crouch on, but everyone (except you, it appears) is puzzled about why he took off Shaqiri, who was excellent, instead of anybody else.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Their best player was no 10 who scored their 2nd goal. I am sure many formed their impression of Shaqiri based on what they expected not what he actually did.

He scored their first goal from a pass that the sky commentators said was the pass of the Premier League season so far and that pass was made by Shaqiri.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He scored their first goal from a pass that the sky commentators said was the pass of the Premier League season so far and that pass was made by Shaqiri.

Sorry I got mixed up of course it was their 1st goal as regards the pass they tend to say that at every game when a decent pass is made so wouldnt put too much credence on it. As has been said many times it is a game based on opinions and I will stick by mine from what I saw.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I must admit I didnt notice any of what you say as I thought that Stephens and Propper completely dominated the midfield hence Stoke relying on route one hit and hope balls. I am glad I dont have to watch them every week, well I just wouldnt, awful team with no skill or football at all from any player. Their best player was no 10 who scored their 2nd goal but he was not on the same planet as Stephens and Propper. I am sure many formed their impression of Shaqiri based on what they expected not what he actually did.
Shaqiri was everywhere and quite often floated over to the left, went deep then was a support striker, he was everywhere. Trust me, watch the highlights. Oh and not once did he lose or give the ball away. Plus he played more accurate long passes than Stephens or Propper. Hence why Stoke were so threatening.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Shaqiri was everywhere and quite often floated over to the left, went deep then was a support striker, he was everywhere. Trust me Watch the highlights oh and not once did he lose or give the ball away. Plus he played more accurate long passes than Stephens or Propper. Hence why Stoke were so threatening.

Were they? At no time was I concerned that they would score a 3rd goal. After our 2nd there was only ever going to be 1 winner.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
BG, Yes, going forward, Stoke were threatening. Accurate balls played into key areas and big strong lads that can play a bit on the end of them. We struggled to deal with the quality of ball Stoke played.
Stephens was the Albion’s best player imo but Shakiri for me was the best player out there last night.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We shall have to just agree to disagree because I thought that he was nothing special and offered no problems and his rating is based on what people expected rather than what he actually did.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Sorry I got mixed up of course it was their 1st goal as regards the pass they tend to say that at every game when a decent pass is made so wouldnt put too much credence on it. As has been said many times it is a game based on opinions and I will stick by mine from what I saw.

:facepalm: sometimes your reach to justify really makes one chuckle ...oh and by the way you quoted The Sun to back up your assertions....now that is a laugh

Let us hope that this doesn't turn into yet another epic 50 pager due to your obstinate stance.

Also, let us not forget the OP....Yep Stephens imho turned in another good performance along with Propper...they are a pretty good midfield due aren't they...i dread the day one of them has to miss a game.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
They employ a professional to report on games so whether you like the paper or not the man must know what he is talking about.

They employ a lot of 'professionals' on a fair number of things ..and yet i'd hesitate to say they know what they are talking about....and what it comes down to is opinion...and a heck of a lot of it thought Shaqiri was excellent!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
They employ a lot of 'professionals' on a fair number of things ..and yet i'd hesitate to say they know what they are talking about....and what it comes down to is opinion...and a heck of a lot of it thought Shaqiri was excellent!

I also have spoken to a number who agreed with me he was nothing special but as you say it is down to opinions and neither will convince the other they are wrong. So best it is left there.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
If as you suggest he was doing so much and playing so well why did Hughes take him off and send Crouch on, in your opinion?

It is worth noting that in The Sun their reporter gave their No 10 the top marks for their team as in fact I said earlier I thought that he was their best player. Obviously their football reporter knows nothing about the game and needs to go to Spec Savers with me.

Quote from another paper ..giving you a clue why he was taken off and oh mentioning a bit about how he played :moo:

''Mark Hughes has revealed Xherdan Shaqiri had been struggling with tightness in his hamstring as he explained why he took the forward off last night.

Shaqiri had been at the heart of most of Stoke City ’s best attacking play as they were held at 2-2 at Brighton and Hove Albion. It was his excellent defence-splitting pass which set up the Potters’ first goal for Maxim Choupo-Moting.''

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I also have spoken to a number who agreed with me he was nothing special but as you say it is down to opinions and neither will convince the other they are wrong. So best it is left there.

I've spoken to a number as well who said the opposite....plus i'll add a few on here

seaford

Feb 8, 2007
They employ a professional to report on games so whether you like the paper or not the man must know what he is talking about.

I am not going to argue with your assertion that Shakiri did not play well.

However using "They employ a professional" to back up your argument?

I raise you Mike Dean and Lee Mason employed by the FA.They are professionals and we know what that is worth.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am not going to argue with your assertion that Shakiri did not play well.

However using "They employ a professional" to back up your argument?

I raise you Mike Dean and Lee Mason employed by the FA.They are professionals and we know what that is worth.

Just to be pedantic they are employed by or on behalf of The Premier League not the FA but I take your point. Would The Sun continue to employ a reporter who was consistently wrong, I doubt it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here