Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lee Mason

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He is 100% correct the standard of refereeing is in decline hence we have gone from reputedly having the best refs in the world to none for the world cup in Russia. That must say something.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I tend to shy away from giving refs a hard time as its a terrible job and snap decisions have to be made that have enormous potential knock on effects, but last night both Mason and his assistants had a collaborative shocker

It doesnt need to be if VAR was brought in to help them achieve the right decision, as in rugby.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
From our vantage point in WSL, directly behind the away team dugout it was clear that that steaming dog turd Hughes had the officials in his pocket. So much so that on about the 41st minute he said something to the fourth official who then held up 3 fingers. Sure enough, 3 minutes of added time 3 minutes later.

I didn't realise managers were allowed to be told how much stoppage time was being added just by asking? Surely that gives a tactical advantage?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I don't think there's anything that says they can't be told. It certainly happens quite a bit.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Not great but not helped by poor lino. The one on east missed 3 off sides in first half and and als Murray in second

Was amused to see Knocky go up to him in 2nd half and say right in his face "You're ****ing shit" with such venom it was scary.

haardman

Jul 29, 2005
Shawcross takes Knockaert's head off
[video]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F8XwlcHrMSCHuBofKoM3SsYyi7z6E Cbt/view?usp=sharing[/video]

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Was amused to see Knocky go up to him in 2nd half and say right in his face "You're ****ing shit" with such venom it was scary.

That reminded me of an incident some years ago when Peter Osgood said the same to Gordon Hill the ref after he made a mistake and was just told to get on with the game. A few minutes later he missed an open goal and Hill said to Osgood "Ossie you are shit"

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
Two bad decisions. Apart from that it's going against us but that's the flow. Can't see where that's his fault.

But.... It was a penalty, albeit with the briefest of contact. The linesman, like Mason, may have thought Murray slipped. That's where the biggest fault lay.

The second bad decision was allowing Murray to stay on the pitch after that tackle. A bit of relief.

Murray should have received 2 red cards it was that awful.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Keith Hackett's view on the weekend's referee's decisions.

https://you-are-the-ref.com/hacketts-verdict-evidence-need-act/

That was a good read.

I’d add to it by saying that I grow increasingly perplexed by some referees insistence that they make all the calls. There a 4 officials. They should work as a team. Too many refs just see the other 3 as people they will turn to if they need something.

Wouldn’t have made a difference last night as the lino was also blind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Your off to the Championship Mason I hope

This is the bizarre reality of refereeing. A poor referee doesn't get dropped and retrained, he gets moved to a 'less important' league.

You've got to feel sorry for the teams in the Championship, if Mason gets 'relegated'.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
As much as the officials enraged us, the two goal celebration dances in front of the North came a close 2nd for wind-up value!

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
836b1c2437e82c4b2870da8cb15c421b.jpg

Hmmmm. Is that bird wearing a plaster cast on her right arm in the white? Looks reasonable. :)

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
This is the bizarre reality of refereeing. A poor referee doesn't get dropped and retrained, he gets moved to a 'less important' league.

You've got to feel sorry for the teams in the Championship, if Mason gets 'relegated'.

Especially when they then want to be the centre of attention!

Referees who are consistently shit should be removed from the list. None of this dropping them down a league or two-their poor standards could cost clubs promotions or help get them relegated. We all know that one game doesn't promote or relegate but clubs should not see a season's work wiped out by incompetence.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My youngest son and I were just discussing his awful performance and agreed why cant the Premier League/Football League/FA compile a video of incidents that have happened in games and not include the decisions then get the poor refs to take the video test to give their view on what the decision should have been and if they get a % wrong they lose their place on the list. They could show a number of clips some with incidents and some without and like a hearing test say bleep when you see something wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here