Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lee Mason

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
He also seemed to work on the premise that if a Stoke player fell over it was automatically a free kick. The incident with March being the prime example.

Weak, no control over the players at all.

The consensus on here has been that premiership referees are a cut above. Mike Dean excepted obviously.

Then we get that prick......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I have been so impressed with the higher quality of refs this season, but something must happen when they are as bad as Mason was last night. I am sure he was just rubbish and not on the take, but last night did raise the issue in my mind about whether any games are being influenced by betting syndicates getting to referees?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Did not think I would come across a referee worse thank Mike Dean....
I won't even start with the lino on the East Side.
At least he missed the offsides in the 2nd half as well...

WE're in WSL pretty much in line - missed what looked like at least 3........................

Mason was properly useless. Most damningly he had no authority whatsoever - Stoke continually took the piss. Timewasting, goal celebrations (AFTER being told to stop), creeping forward at free kicks - it was relentless.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
I have never seen such huge players go down so easily with just a stare from knocky or March ......amazing mythical magic ,we should be taping into that .

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
We are a mighty team - a series of man mountains consistently felled all over the pitch by mere thought alone!!!

tubby

Aug 15, 2008
Quote Originally Posted by Quinney View Post

2nd half he told Murray to get back 10 yards for a free kick. The ball was near enough on the 6 yard line and Murray was on the edge of the box. Maths clearly not his strong point. Worst ref this season including the **** at Swansea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You have to be outside the penalty area for the free kick so on this one, and almost only, occasion the referee was right.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I simply cannot understand why he didn't book Lee Grant. From really early in the first half he was taking an eternity with his goal kicks and only got a warning right towards the end of the second half. Drives me nuts.

Often referees do not book players for this, they do that ostentatious holding up of their watch thing then just add the time on at the end. Sadly Mason decided to neither book the player or add the time on. Obviously his last train home was at 22:30 or something.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Not great but not helped by poor lino. The one on east missed 3 off sides in first half and and als Murray in second

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Not great but not helped by poor lino. The one on east missed 3 off sides in first half and and als Murray in second

Fourth officials don't seem to like to disagree with refs nowadays ,perhaps a case of the refereeing union and sticking by each other for when they have to ref a game.
Officials always seemed to be conferring with each other and certainly wasn't unusual for a lino/ref to disagree with a decision a number of times in a match .

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
You have to be outside the penalty area for the free kick so on this one, and almost only, occasion the referee was right.

You do for a goal kick, but surely not a free kick. The normal distance limit is all you have to abide by.

Edit:
all opponents must remain outside the penalty area until the ball is in play

Nope. You are correct - sorry

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
It was pretty poor from Mason - and I was surprised that Lee Grant started time-wasting from the first minute - away to little old Brighton - got to be a yellow card offence at some point in the game. But we also got away with one - Murray's foul on Wimmer was also a shocker, so Mason's incompetence also kept us with 11 on the pitch for the entire game. Murray's red mist because he didn't get a clear penalty was a concern for me.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
It was pretty poor from Mason - and I was surprised that Lee Grant started time-wasting from the first minute - away to little old Brighton - got to be a yellow card offence at some point in the game. But we also got away with one - Murray's foul on Wimmer was also a shocker, so Mason's incompetence also kept us with 11 on the pitch for the entire game. Murray's red mist because he didn't get a clear penalty was a concern for me.
As has been mentioned earlier-if the penalty had been given then Murray wouldn't have made that challenge.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Anyone else see Knocky shove Mason out the way in the second half? Class, he didn’t like it either.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Fourth officials don't seem to like to disagree with refs nowadays ,perhaps a case of the refereeing union and sticking by each other for when they have to ref a game.
Officials always seemed to be conferring with each other and certainly wasn't unusual for a lino/ref to disagree with a decision a number of times in a match .

There was one incident in the second half where the ref wasn't sure whether to give a goal kick or a corner - he stared at the East lino for a few seconds, clearly waiting for him to make the call..........clueless the pair of them (although we did get the corner)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Any clips of the supposed red Murray should have received?
My instant reaction was 'he's off'.

Sent off might have been slightly harsh, but definitely a textbook:-

'Not one you want your team to get, but certainly a decision you'd expect an opposition player to get'.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I was sat about twenty rows up in the south stand and I clearly heard the contact I’m the body check on knockeart

This was the worst decision of the lot. Yellow card all day long, and a targeted body check. Put Knockeart out of the game for me.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Some points made by the German commentary team including ex-Fulham player Moritz Volz:

- Shawcross should have been booked for block on Knockaert
- 100% penalty on Murray. Second yellow for Shawcross?
- Murray could have got a red for foul on Wimmer
- Referee lost control of game
- Couldn't believe 3 minutes additional time at end. This is the absolute minimum played in a Premier League game and, with so much timewasting going unpunished, they expected quite a bit more time to be added on.

Would agree with all of this. An imcompetent set of officials.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here