Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How many would remain on this t-shirt?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
If you're ever doing a "best of" poll (of anything) you need to exclude anything current or recent.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
OUT
Kuipers
Bridge
Vicente
Bridcutt

IN
Stockdale (still ahead of Ryan)
LB - no idea - think I'd go back to the seventies
Gross?
Knocky

Really?

I think Ryan (despite his size) is a better keeper. So many times he comes out for a cross and catches the ball whereas Stockdale tended to panic punch. Just as good at shot stopping and prefers to retain possession rather than long upfield hoofs.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
From a personal perspective, since that shirt was produced 3 years ago, I've put on so much weight there's no need to remove anyone in order to add a few more players. Indeed you could put their first names on it too.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
If that is supposedly a 'legends' shirt, to my mind there are only four names on there that qualify, Lawrenson, Zamora, Ward, and Mullery..

That word legends, is used far too freely.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Well there's some spectacular short termism going on here.

Bridcutt was incredible for us for two years, deservedly picking up the Player of the Season awards in both seasons. What a player. And to question Kuipers is ridiculous. Stockdale gave us 2 good seasons, Kuipers gave us how many? He is why we didn't get relegated to the 4th tier under that beautiful bald man in 2008 and he's a huge part of why we won the league in 00/01 and 01/02.

Shame on the detractors and naysayers, shame.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If that is supposedly a 'legends' shirt, to my mind there are only four names on there that qualify, Lawrenson, Zamora, Ward, and Mullery..

No, it was a vote for the best player in that position for a team. Bridge is still the best LB we've had.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Really?

I think Ryan (despite his size) is a better keeper. So many times he comes out for a cross and catches the ball whereas Stockdale tended to panic punch. Just as good at shot stopping and prefers to retain possession rather than long upfield hoofs.

Still early days, but certainly looks that way, against supposedly much better opposition too. Ryan is fantastic with his feet too, genuinely two footed and skillful. Only caveat is the degree of protection he is getting from the defence (someone posted something earlier on this) - he's not actually being massively tested in terms of shots - rarely seems to have to make more than a couple of key saves per game. It's testament to the defence that Ryan has been nowhere near a MOTM performance so far this season, but has barely made a mistake either. Think Ryan's positioning is impeccable.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Well there's some spectacular short termism going on here.

Bridcutt was incredible for us for two years, deservedly picking up the Player of the Season awards in both seasons. What a player. And to question Kuipers is ridiculous. Stockdale gave us 2 good seasons, Kuipers gave us how many? He is why we didn't get relegated to the 4th tier under that beautiful bald man in 2008 and he's a huge part of why we won the league in 00/01 and 01/02.

Shame on the detractors and naysayers, shame.

Agreed, the FDM did indeed serve us for many more seasons than Stockdale, but it isn't about the number of seasons, just how good they were. As much as l liked Michelle, great club servant that he was, Stockdale was the better keeper, and of course we were playing at a much higher level when he was with us.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
Yes. Even if we stay in the PL for another decade i’m not sure we will see a player as talented as that again. He was absolutely unbelievable. Even with the limited number of games.

Agreed. Players like him are why we all watch football surely? Although only a friendly, the way he took apart Chelsea and made then European champions look average showed just how good he really was. He was THE best left winger in the world in his pomp, Real Madrid bidding £30m plus for him which would be god knows what in this market? And he finished his career at Brighton ffs. I don't care what anyone says about longevity etc he has to stay on that list.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
OUT
Kuipers
Bridge
Vicente
Bridcutt

IN
Stockdale (still ahead of Ryan)
LB - no idea - think I'd go back to the seventies
Gross?
Knocky

Bridge was bloody fantastic. We’ve never had better before or since

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Agreed, the FDM did indeed serve us for many more seasons than Stockdale, but it isn't about the number of seasons, just how good they were. As much as l liked Michelle, great club servant that he was, Stockdale was the better keeper, and of course we were playing at a much higher level when he was with us.

I would say that Kuipers at his best was better than Stockdale. I know that's not going to be something people agree with, and I don't care. He was a colossus for us and it was no coincidence that when he returned to the team in 08/09, even when he was approaching the end, our defence enormously improved. No disrespect to John Sullivan or even Mikkel Andersen, but they were shipping in 2/3/4 goals a game. The King came back in and all of a sudden we stopped leaking goals all over the place and started winning games. Our other goalkeeper that season, the Ghost, deserves nothing BUT disrespect!

One we didn't see nearly enough of sadly. Although to my mind, even in the Amex era, Stephen Ward ran him pretty close.

Stephen Ward was extremely effective and contributed significantly to the team, but he's not even close to being as good as Wayne Bridge was. He was a class above, it was remarkable watching him in the stripes and a massive surprise at the time as well. Ward would walk into our team now though, comfortably.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I would say that Kuipers at his best was better than Stockdale. I know that's not going to be something people agree with, and I don't care. He was a colossus for us and it was no coincidence that when he returned to the team in 08/09, even when he was approaching the end, our defence enormously improved. No disrespect to John Sullivan or even Mikkel Andersen, but they were shipping in 2/3/4 goals a game. The King came back in and all of a sudden we stopped leaking goals all over the place and started winning games. Our other goalkeeper that season, the Ghost, deserves nothing BUT disrespect!

Stephen Ward was extremely effective and contributed significantly to the team, but he's not even close to being as good as Wayne Bridge was. He was a class above, it was remarkable watching him in the stripes and a massive surprise at the time as well. Ward would walk into our team now though, comfortably.

On playing ability, Bridge has to be in any team, but in total status you'd have to make room for Bruno, one of our greatest captains. So where does that leave Stevens? Can you leave out Foster and Lawrenson? Are Duffy and Dunk in the running now?

Kuipers is a club legend and Stockdale has rather undermined his legacy with the manner of his departure (and destination, if I'm honest).

You'd say Knockaert was a candidate based on last season, but so far this season, not so much - a bit like Bridcutt, perhaps. Murray could guarantee a place with a hat-trick against Palace next week ...

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

I don't think anyone who saw Brian Horton lead the team for five of the greatest seasons in the club's history would say he was anything but a club legend. Jimmy Case too - apart from his first spell and the cup run, he came back from non-league to play at the age of 100 (or thereabaouts), got sent off at Leicester because his hearing aid wasn't working ... that's the very stuff of legend. And both managed the club too, although in JC's case that's perhaps best forgotten.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
On playing ability, Bridge has to be in any team, but in total status you'd have to make room for Bruno, one of our greatest captains. So where does that leave Stevens? Can you leave out Foster and Lawrenson? Are Duffy and Dunk in the running now?

Kuipers is a club legend and Stockdale has rather undermined his legacy with the manner of his departure (and destination, if I'm honest).

You'd say Knockaert was a candidate based on last season, but so far this season, not so much - a bit like Bridcutt, perhaps. Murray could guarantee a place with a hat-trick against Palace next week ...

Kuipers would be my undisputed goalkeeper pick, but from there on it's debatable and it should be - we're not the MK Dons, we've got a history!

Bridcutt deserved his place at the time but Stephens is well on his way to deserving a mention, maybe Propper Dave in a few years if we continue to progress. Dunk would get in ahead of Lawrenson for me, but Foster is going to take some dislodging!

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Agreed. Players like him are why we all watch football surely? Although only a friendly, the way he took apart Chelsea and made then European champions look average showed just how good he really was. He was THE best left winger in the world in his pomp, Real Madrid bidding £30m plus for him which would be god knows what in this market? And he finished his career at Brighton ffs. I don't care what anyone says about longevity etc he has to stay on that list.

I think he probably was the best player in Spain at that time and so possibly the best player in the world in that time - 2004.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Just hanging up this t-shirt that used to be on sale in the club shop, back in 2014, and wondered how many players would still be included if they did the same design again...
View attachment 91291

All of them, they deserved it then, they deserve it now. Make a new one if you like, but don’t be like Sky and try to erase history.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here