[Cricket] Jason Gillespie appointed Sussex head coach

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
Wow, that is an excellent appointment. He left Yorkshire as he wanted to be back in Australia so interesting what has happened there. Maybe he didn't get the coaching role he wanted in Australia.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Another Bowler :nono: Where is the batting coach? :rant:

In all seriousness a way better appointment than any of us would ever have expected. Well done Sussex.

Jul 7, 2003
Was expecting some crap internal appointment after Andrews' interviews last week so this is big surprise but very good appointment.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Great news. A fantastic appointment. A couple of decent additions to the squad and we could mount a serious promotion challenge next season.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Another Bowler :nono: Where is the batting coach? :rant:

In all seriousness a way better appointment than any of us would ever have expected. Well done Sussex.

Role for Matt Prior?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Know little about my cricket but what makes him a good appointment out of interest?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
and Chris Adams?

:laugh:

I'm not sure Sussex can afford all 3. Adams would certainly fit as batting coach, but would he be willing to restrict himself to just batting?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Know little about my cricket but what makes him a good appointment out of interest?

Right-armer Gillespie took 259 wickets at an average of 26.13 in 71 Tests for Australia between 1996 and 2006, and joined Yorkshire as first-team coach ahead of the 2012 season.

Yorkshire lost only seven Championship matches during his five seasons at Headingley, leading them from the second tier to consecutive titles before departing at the end of the 2016 campaign.

In May 2015, Gillespie held talks with England's director of cricket Andrew Strauss about replacing the sacked Peter Moores as national coach, but the role eventually went to fellow Australian Trevor Bayliss.

Gillespie has also coached the Adelaide Strikers in the Big Bash League, Australia's domestic Twenty20 competition, for the past two seasons.

"I know that there is some excitement around the capabilities of the current playing group," he said.

"I look forward to getting over there and playing my role in helping Sussex achieve its on and off-field goals for 2018 and beyond."

Pudos

Aug 18, 2015
Great, unexpected appointment. On a Sussex Cricket forum someone described it as like "I guess him coming here would be like Mourinho coming to Crystal Palace" (not connected to the palace/brighton friendship)
Exciting time for the club - wonder how ollie robinson feels tho?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
As a bonus, for an Aussie, he's a nice bloke.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here