Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Pullis Gone from WBA

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
What I wouldn't want is for us to start getting ahead of ourselves and thinking we can splash out on ex Man Utd cast offs or £25m on the likes of Arnautovic because we believe we are 'at the next level'. Pullis has always snapped up the rejects from the top 6, paid massive salaries and hoped they come good for him. He's never been one for bringing through youth or risking youngsters. His player sales is abysmal in terms of the development of players for the club. I hope we continue to bring through youth like Dunk and March, take a punt on youth like Izquierdo, and snap up talent like Propper and Gross. Delighted to keep surviving if that continues. We start thinking we're ready for the next level, start splashing out large sums on mercenary players who won't cherish their place at this club, not so much...

To bring through youth, they need to learn the hard way as Dunk has. He made just about every error possible whilst playing for us and has come out the other side as the best player we've had in my lifetime. If we had the Dunk of 4-5 years ago, would we be taking chances playing him in the PL now? I seriously doubt it.

If we envisage staying in the PL, we will need to loan young players of promise to Championship sides to make their mistakes there, which means we will need to bring in tried and tested. Propper was playing at the top end of Eredivisie and Gross had the most assists in the Bundesliga. The only one you could say was a punt is Izquierdo as you said, but even he has had CL experience.

I more or less agree with you though, I definitely don't want us breaking the bank for players who are already playing for clubs in the PL. For 14 clubs it's a sideways step, which means they only move for money alone.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I was thinking the same ...wonder if he’s now regretting his decision

I doubt it. He must be aware that it's a miracle any club team has hired him, there's no reason to think that West Brom would have wanted him but this time last week I'd have been saying the same about Sunderland wanting him - why would they? Why would anyone?!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was thinking the same ...wonder if he’s now regretting his decision

Never too sure how these things work. The WBA board probably assumed that they would lose to Chelsea, so they may have sounded out prospective managers over the last week or so..

There again, the fact that they lost so heavily, in front of the owner, with the crowd turning on TP may have been the deciding factor.

I would definitely have thought that CC would have been worth an interview.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I doubt it. He must be aware that it's a miracle any club team has hired him, there's no reason to think that West Brom would have wanted him but this time last week I'd have been saying the same about Sunderland wanting him - why would they? Why would anyone?!

I can see you don’t rate Coleman that highly....hasn’t done that bad for Wales....but achievements in club football? Hmm

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not enough money in it for Tony.

Good point Del. There was a thread on one of the West Brom forums asking why wouldn't TP do the decent thing and resign?

That was never going to happen in a month of Sundays. (Not that I can blame him. Most of us could live for years on the compo managers get for failing in their jobs).

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Chairman John Williams added: "These decisions are never taken lightly but always in the interests of the club.

Are they really? These people seem to have no idea whatsoever. Like him or hate him, Pulis will do a job over a season. To dump him 3 months into the season is total madness. They think there is some magic wand when they dump their managers. I am so glad for our owners and board.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I can see you don’t rate Coleman that highly....hasn’t done that bad for Wales....but achievements in club football? Hmm

Gareth Bale and an extended format for the Euros enabled them to qualify. Then Gareth Bale and Aaron Ramsey combined to help Wales win a few games at the Euros, they did very well there but that wasn't because of the manager. He's a bad manager and I've not forgotten his phone call to Sky Sports in the immediate aftermath of Gary Speed's death. He IMMEDIATELY put himself forward as his replacement and I felt that was shameful and repugnant.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
attachment.php

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Are they really? These people seem to have no idea whatsoever. Like him or hate him, Pulis will do a job over a season. To dump him 3 months into the season is total madness. They think there is some magic wand when they dump their managers. I am so glad for our owners and board.

You've clearly not seen their record in 2017... or the football that they've been playing. Neither is particularly good.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here