Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Pullis Gone from WBA

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Gareth Bale and an extended format for the Euros enabled them to qualify. Then Gareth Bale and Aaron Ramsey combined to help Wales win a few games at the Euros, they did very well there but that wasn't because of the manager. He's a bad manager and I've not forgotten his phone call to Sky Sports in the immediate aftermath of Gary Speed's death. He IMMEDIATELY put himself forward as his replacement and I felt that was shameful and repugnant.

You have a point and I don’t disagree with that last sentence....but an argument could be put forward that he has at least harnessed the talent of Bale whereas other Welsh managers have failed with Rush, Hughes and Giggs?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
You've clearly not seen their record in 2017... or the football that they've been playing. Neither is particularly good.

The style is as expected, and yes I have seen them when we blitzed them, however where do they go from here?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
The style is as expected, and yes I have seen them when we blitzed them, however where do they go from here?

Most likely down, but based on their 29 points in 2017, it's more than possible that they would've been relegated even with Pulis in charge.

The problem WBA have, along with most other teams in the league, is that the ceiling is 7th. Barring the Leicester miracle, pretty much everyone else is hoping to be the best of the rest (it's quite demoralising knowing your ceiling is actually a place where you're not ever winning anything). WBA have been that, or close to it, on numerous occasions since they've been promoted, and they've done it at times playing decent football. Since Pulis came in, he's done what he's always done (getting between 42 and 47 points per season, and not going above or below that), but for their fans, there comes a point where you want a bit more hope or, at the very least, a bit of decent football to go along with your 42 to 47 points. As a club, they reached their maximum potential, and now they're not reaching it so the lack of progress is more and more obvious and the fans and owners clearly want more - personally I don't blame them.

My worry as a Brighton fan is that if we survive for 3-4 years, we might get in this same rut caused by the 7th placed ceiling.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
If we are still in the Premier League in two or three seasons time then yes, I would be very happy indeed irrespective of position. As for entertainment, we are getting plenty of that aren't we?

Not disagreeing I would b happy just saying that West Brom fans were saying football was boring some were even saying they would be happy to go down so they could play more attacking football and go again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
WBA board are B. FOOLS imho. Everyone from Barcelona to Bejing knows that TP is a good manager. If we should have vacancy (Perish the thought ) I would be happy with him . He may not be used to winning titles but he's a good man in a dog fight.
No doubt The Baggies will rise again,....but they would have with Pulis.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
What I wouldn't want is for us to start getting ahead of ourselves and thinking we can splash out on ex Man Utd cast offs or £25m on the likes of Arnautovic because we believe we are 'at the next level'. Pullis has always snapped up the rejects from the top 6, paid massive salaries and hoped they come good for him. He's never been one for bringing through youth or risking youngsters. His player sales is abysmal in terms of the development of players for the club. I hope we continue to bring through youth like Dunk and March, take a punt on youth like Izquierdo, and snap up talent like Propper and Gross. Delighted to keep surviving if that continues. We start thinking we're ready for the next level, start splashing out large sums on mercenary players who won't cherish their place at this club, not so much...

Me neither but I do think the longer you are in there the more the pressure grows to not just improve but maybe roll the dice and Win a cup .many mid table teams do take that gamble in cast offs I’d like to think we will do it different just interested in people’s thoughts of would we tire of finishing about mid table because it seems wba fans are .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Most likely down, but based on their 29 points in 2017, it's more than possible that they would've been relegated even with Pulis in charge.

The problem WBA have, along with most other teams in the league, is that the ceiling is 7th. Barring the Leicester miracle, pretty much everyone else is hoping to be the best of the rest (it's quite demoralising knowing your ceiling is actually a place where you're not ever winning anything). WBA have been that, or close to it, on numerous occasions since they've been promoted, and they've done it at times playing decent football. Since Pulis came in, he's done what he's always done (getting between 42 and 47 points per season, and not going above or below that), but for their fans, there comes a point where you want a bit more hope or, at the very least, a bit of decent football to go along with your 42 to 47 points. As a club, they reached their maximum potential, and now they're not reaching it so the lack of progress is more and more obvious and the fans and owners clearly want more - personally I don't blame them.

My worry as a Brighton fan is that if we survive for 3-4 years, we might get in this same rut caused by the 7th placed ceiling.

As said on a previous forum achieving 7th in the premiership would be excellent and if that is our ceiling so be it. This might be boring to some but to see PL football at the Amex is what we all wanted and I don't think anyone seriously thought we will win it. If we are a very steady , mid-table team then maybe a cup run or a dabble in europa cup would bring new excitement.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Sacking Pulis was the right call - they've been performing at relegation level for two-thirds of a season now, Pulis has run his course and Baggies fans on 606 have been near suicidal at the football they're being served up.

Guiding this squad to safety should be a doddle for Allardyce who is a local boy and has previously played and coached at West Brom. I'd give him a contract to June 2019, pay him well and spend the next year finding his successor.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
As said on a previous forum achieving 7th in the premiership would be excellent and if that is our ceiling so be it. This might be boring to some but to see PL football at the Amex is what we all wanted and I don't think anyone seriously thought we will win it. If we are a very steady , mid-table team then maybe a cup run or a dabble in europa cup would bring new excitement.

I agree, for now. The problem is that if you have 3-4, or 7-10 years of that same monotonous grind where you're mid table but never really achieving anything, how exciting is that as a fan?

Don't get me wrong, I'd be delighted with 7th for the next few years... but eventually we'd all want more. It's human nature. And it would then only take one season of slightly lower performance for people to start getting agitated... heck, it happens on here if we don't win a game and we've only just been promoted!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I never understood why Stoke and WBA swapped managers in the first place - both Pulis and Hughes seemed to be a better 'fit' before they swapped jobs.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
No sympathy for the guy. His departure was shabby from Palace - is he on another £1 million bonus for something spurious ? Way too smug and chippy in his interviews - plays unwatchable football - sure the West Brom fans are looking forward to something more interesting.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The consensus from WBA fans is that he did a great job for the first 18 months when he binned off the dead wood and got them organised, but the football has got worse and worse, and with results being poor, the writing was on the wall.

He's forever going to be known as a BFS-style fixer.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
My former boss,a lifelong Baggies fan,wants Megson to get the job full time."He will make the lazy f**kers work hard".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here