Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion 2017-18 discipline watch

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Dunk, Duffy and Murray are the three in most danger. I find it quite comforting that we have Hunemeier, Goldson and Hemed in reserve if needed.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Two players now walking the yellow card TIGHTROPE...

Ryan 0

Bruno 2
Schelotto 0
Duffy 4
Dunk 2
Goldson 0
Hunemeier 0
Suttner 0
Bong 1

Propper 1
Stephens 0

Knockaert 3
Izquierdo 0
March 1

Gross 1
Brown 0

Murray 4
Hemed 0

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
I'm not sure if it's 31/12 or after 19 matches....

View attachment 91268

This is confusing.

Can someone point out if this correct?

If you get to 5 yellows before December 31st, you get a one match ban.

If you don't get get to 5 before that date, you don't get a ban unless you reach 10 yellows in the season.

And if you have reached 5, you get a second ban if you reach 10. (Is the second ban another one game, or is it more severe?)

As an aside, where do red cards fit in to this system?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This is confusing.

Can someone point out if this correct?

If you get to 5 yellows before December 31st, you get a one match ban.

If you don't get get to 5 before that date, you don't get a ban unless you reach 10 yellows in the season.

And if you have reached 5, you get a second ban if you reach 10. (Is the second ban another one game, or is it more severe?)

As an aside, where do red cards fit in to this system?

1 game ban if 5 cards by 19 games / 31st December (which one is unclear)
2 game ban if 10 cards by 32 games (you can get the 5 card ban AND the 10 card ban or just the one)

15 cards before the end of the season results in a hanging or something similarly tough (3 game ban probably).

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The card amnesty is after the Watford game on 19th December ( if I have read Andy Naylor correctly ).

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
2 game ban if 10 cards by 32 games (you can get the 5 card ban AND the 10 card ban or just the one)

15 cards before the end of the season results in a hanging or something similarly tough (3 game ban probably).

And do reds (whether straight red or two yellows) count for the totals?

Or are they ignored as the players will get a separate ban for getting sent off?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
And do reds (whether straight red or two yellows) count for the totals?

Or are they ignored as the players will get a separate ban for getting sent off?
Straight reds don't count.

The 1st of 2 yellows counts, not the 2nd yellow.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Correct, yes, which is why I'm not sure whether it's the date 31/12 or the 19th game (v Watford on 23/12).

I imagine [MENTION=1276]AZ Gull[/MENTION] will know but he's asleep right now.

How can you be so sure? Maybe he was having a proper middle of the night wee in the desert. Watch out for those rattlers, AZ!

Last edited:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
The 1st of 2 yellows counts, not the 2nd yellow.

This is incorrect. A one match ban is served when a player receives two yellows (and is sent off) in the same match. As such, a punishment is meted out for both cards and they are not used in the tally of accumulated bookings that potentially lead to a ban.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I'm not sure if it's 31/12 or after 19 matches....

View attachment 91268

Correct, yes, which is why I'm not sure whether it's the date 31/12 or the 19th game (v Watford on 23/12).

I imagine [MENTION=1276]AZ Gull[/MENTION] will know but he's asleep right now.

The FA, this season, has published a "Player Essentials" document which includes the following slide:-

Bookings.jpg

So, it would seem that from this season the FA has moved to a system based primarily upon number of matches played (but still with a firm cut-off date).

My interpretation is this:-

1) Player receiving fifth booking in 19th (or earlier) league fixture played before Dec 31 - one match ban
2) Player receiving fifth booking in 20th (or later) league fixture played before Dec 31 - no ban
3) Player receiving fifth booking in 19th (or earlier) league fixture played AFTER Dec 31 (unlikely, would need multiple postponements) - no ban

For Albion, based upon our current fixture list, our 19th league match of the season is the Watford home game on Dec 23rd.

It would seem that there has been some confusion at the Argus about this - in the paper this morning the following article appeared:-

...Both [Murray and Duffy] are a booking away from one-match bans after their fourth cautions of the season for fouls against Manchester United. Murray and Duffy will have to avoid yellow cards in the next eight matches to escape....

The next 8 matches take us up to the Newcastle fixture on Dec 30, ie the Argus were assuming the cut-off was Dec 31.

However, earlier today Andy Naylor tweeted:-

[TWEET]935115099211255808[/TWEET]

So, it would seem that someone had a word in Andy's shell-like, and he now interprets the system in a similar manner to that outlined in this post.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Post-Palace:

Ryan 0

Bruno 2
Schelotto 0
Duffy 4
Dunk 3
Goldson 0
Hunemeier 0
Suttner 0
Bong 1

Propper 1
Stephens 0

Knockaert 3
Izquierdo 1
March 1

Gross 1
Brown 0

Murray 4
Hemed 0

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The FA, this season, has published a "Player Essentials" document which includes the following slide:-

View attachment 91481

So, it would seem that from this season the FA has moved to a system based primarily upon number of matches played (but still with a firm cut-off date).

My interpretation is this:-

1) Player receiving fifth booking in 19th (or earlier) league fixture played before Dec 31 - one match ban
2) Player receiving fifth booking in 20th (or later) league fixture played before Dec 31 - no ban
3) Player receiving fifth booking in 19th (or earlier) league fixture played AFTER Dec 31 (unlikely, would need multiple postponements) - no ban

For Albion, based upon our current fixture list, our 19th league match of the season is the Watford home game on Dec 23rd.

It would seem that there has been some confusion at the Argus about this - in the paper this morning the following article appeared:-

The next 8 matches take us up to the Newcastle fixture on Dec 30, ie the Argus were assuming the cut-off was Dec 31.

However, earlier today Andy Naylor tweeted:-

[TWEET]935115099211255808[/TWEET]

So, it would seem that someone had a word in Andy's shell-like, and he now interprets the system in a similar manner to that outlined in this post.

Thanks AZ, as ever.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
4 more games before the Card Amnesty.

Worst case : Dunk and Duffy suspended for the same game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here